Windows 10: I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one

Discus and support I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have checked to see if it's a Retail license using command prompt. I can deactivate and reactivate it on the old PC just fine, but if I deactivate it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Luca8345349538, Oct 26, 2020.

1. I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one

I have checked to see if it's a Retail license using command prompt. I can deactivate and reactivate it on the old PC just fine, but if I deactivate it and try to activate it on the new PC, I just get the invalid product code error0xc004f050. It was originally a Windows 7 license upgraded to Windows 10, I'm not sure if that matters.

:)

Luca8345349538, Oct 26, 2020

2. Windows 10 License question - New PC and old computer still exists.

Hi Microsoft Community!

I'm in the process of assembling a new PC and am going to give the old PC to my younger brother. I want to transfer my existing license to the new computer and if possible "de-license" the old one. These are the particulars:

• My Windows 10 license was purchased on the Microsoft website and originally activated with a product key.
    • I still have this product key.
    • I have since formatted the PC and after re-installing Windows 10 the activation is now with a digital license.
    • I prefer using local accounts on my PC and thus haven't created a Microsoft account enabled user.

My question is how to best go about transferring the license? Can I just format the old PC and activate my license on the new PC with the product key? If I do that will I get a problem when my brother installs Windows on the old computer again, since it
    now has a digital license?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Daniel Door, Oct 26, 2020
  3. Transfer digital license from old PC to New one.

You would have to first ensure the Digital License is linked to your Microsoft Account. See instructions how to do that. You can then use the Troubleshooter on the new computer after installing Windows 10 to restore the license.

Please note, if your license was upgraded from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 7 license, it is not transferable.

See:

Andre Da Costa, Oct 26, 2020
  4. I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one

Windows Activation issues using same license from old PC to new PC.

Hi there,

Hopefully this is not a OEM version of the license; as it will have to reside on the old equipment. There are a few ways to transfer your license; you call the activation center and they can get you the code to activate your computer - the number is: (888)
    352 7140

Additionally, you can go here:
    https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windo...

and follow the steps on transferring it.

RickFran84, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one

1. I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one - Similar Threads - can't move license

2. How do I move my retail Windows license from my old PC to my new PC?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I move my retail Windows license from my old PC to my new PC?: I walked into a store in Canada and bought a tiny box with a retail version Windows key in it and installed that on my PC a few years ago. I now bought a new PC and want to move that Windows license from my old PC to my new PC. I have both PCs turned on right now. Both PCs...
  3. How do I move my retail Windows license from my old PC to my new PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move my retail Windows license from my old PC to my new PC?: I walked into a store in Canada and bought a tiny box with a retail version Windows key in it and installed that on my PC a few years ago. I now bought a new PC and want to move that Windows license from my old PC to my new PC. I have both PCs turned on right now. Both PCs...
  4. How do I move my retail Windows license from my old PC to my new PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to move Windows 10 from my old PC to the new one ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move Windows 10 from my old PC to the new one ?: I want to upgrade to Windows 11 but it says my PC is too old. So if I buy a new PC can I install my Windows 10 by removing it from the old one? And how to do so?By the way, I typed "wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey" in cmd but it showed me no...
  6. How to move Windows 10 from my old PC to the new one ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move Windows 10 from my old PC to the new one ?: I want to upgrade to Windows 11 but it says my PC is too old. So if I buy a new PC can I install my Windows 10 by removing it from the old one? And how to do so?By the way, I typed "wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey" in cmd but it showed me no...
  7. How to move Windows 10 from my old PC to the new one ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...: The license will not transfer, please help. My old Windows pro will not transfer. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-transfer-my-windows-license-to-my-new-pc/d8875633-f913-42a9-a8c0-995ac1c701f1
  9. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...: The license will not transfer, please help. My old Windows pro will not transfer. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-transfer-my-windows-license-to-my-new-pc/d8875633-f913-42a9-a8c0-995ac1c701f1
  10. Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one

Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one: Hi, I currently have a SSD with Windows 10 in my old laptop which I would like to move to a new laptop which has Windows 10 Installed on a PCIe NVME SSD. I've already checked and there is room in my new laptop to install my old SSD in. Is it possible to do this so that...