Windows 10: I can't open any .exe all of a sudden

Discus and support I can't open any .exe all of a sudden in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When I attempt to open executable files they won't open and I get this error: C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/IwishIwasElonMusk, Mar 23, 2020.

1. I can't open any .exe all of a sudden

When I attempt to open executable files they won't open and I get this error:

C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned[app name].Ink

Application not found, or I get:

"You'll need a new app to open this .exe file"

I tried editing the regedit and tried running sfc and DISM, neither worked.

What can I do to fix this?

submitted by /u/IwishIwasElonMusk
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/IwishIwasElonMusk, Mar 23, 2020

2. Exe files can only be opened by "run as administrator"

Hi,

Corrupted registry settings, some third-party products, or viruses can change the default configuration for running .exe files. To rectify the issue with opening this particular file type, we suggest that you follow the steps
    below:

• Right-click on the Start button, then choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    • Type regedit and press Enter.
    • Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe.
    • Double-click (Default) key, then set the Value data to
      exefile.
    • Scroll down to go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command key.
    • Double-click (Default) key, then set the Value data to “%1” %*.
    • Restart your computer.

Update us if it addressed your issue.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Mar 23, 2020
  3. Exe's won't open

Hi Logan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I’m sorry to know that you are getting a pop up stating "You'll need a new app to open this file" when trying to run an exe file.
    I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I will be happy to assist you with this.

Please provide us the following information, to assist you further.

• Let us know the exe file type that you are trying to run?

• What is the size of the exe file ?
    Please reply with the above information and we would be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vijaya Kumari 1, Mar 23, 2020
  4. I can't open any .exe all of a sudden

can't open .exe files windows 10

Nothing happens after i I click on any .exe file

VijayNishad, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

I can't open any .exe all of a sudden

1. I can't open any .exe all of a sudden - Similar Threads - can't open exe

2. Cannot open ANY .exe file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot open ANY .exe file: Hi all, Sorry for the style. I’m on my phone. So today I installed Emacs from gnu.org, and opened my first .sml file. Later I tried to open the .sml by double click it and I think I chose Emacs to open it. Then suddenly a console prompts out and it changes all of the...
  3. I Can't open any .exe program

I Can't open any .exe program: I had a virus called Win32/Neshta from my friend's USB, after using AVG Win32/Neshta remover it worked, but the effect is still going every time i open an .exe application, Windows shows "Open the file with.." and this is only for .exe files apparently i tried using the...
  4. I can't open Exe files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I can't open Exe files?: [ATTACH] Hello, Unfortunately I cannot open any exe daiten anymore ... can anyone help me? I hand already tried everything ... Ich kann keine Exe Dateien öffnen?
  5. Can't open any *.exe files or windows apps.

Can't open any *.exe files or windows apps.: Open a file or app I get a System file error (-1073741819) I search and find to sfc /scannow, also did the DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth. I did these scans and troubleshoot many times but it does not resolve the problem. Today I find Create Windows 10...
  6. Can't open .exe files (all .exe files) in any USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open .exe files (all .exe files) in any USB: Yup, you read that right. I really hate this since I need to install Windows (32-bit) via a thumb drive. Executive files inside the original hard drive does not affect this. All of the .exe files don't work (other type of files still work). But I can still access...
  7. I Can't Open any application type exe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I Can't Open any application type exe: I accidentally changed the file type of application.exe to srt.exe. I don't know how to change the type again. I can't open any application now even including task manager, command prompt, and registry editor. Please help me....
  8. Invalid DISM, Error 193, Can't open any .exe

Invalid DISM, Error 193, Can't open any .exe: Hello, I'll explain my situation briefly (nevermind) but thoroughly because I'm a busy Engineering student at the moment. Last Saturday (Nov 17th) I accidentally turned off my desktop tower by holding the power button rather than mousing over to 'Shut Down' in Start, and...
  9. Can't open File .exe

Can't open File .exe: I can't open the Alienwarecommandcenter.exe and Alienware OC.exe. When I try to open the file, the administrators appear, I click ok but then the install file becomes white i've tried to run sfc scan but it told me that my computer don't have any problems. everything is Ok....
  10. I cant open any EXE files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cant open any EXE files: Windows 10 laptop, When I got this I was able to open EXE files but now I'm not sure why it has not been working and it says "Windows cannot find 'Supposed File' . Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again" (Also I'm not very computer wise so, sorry)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .exe file wont open all of a sudden