Windows 10: I can't open files in Edge without saving them first

Discus and support I can't open files in Edge without saving them first in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; LeighAskin, I'm having the same issue you are. Earlier this month, I upgraded my computer to a SSD and the new Microsoft Edge was installed and now I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TaraGeuy, Mar 30, 2020.

1. TaraGeuy Win User

I can't open files in Edge without saving them first

LeighAskin,

I'm having the same issue you are. Earlier this month, I upgraded my computer to a SSD and the new Microsoft Edge was installed and now I can not open ANY documents without saving them first. I just got off the phone with Microsoft call center and they weren't able to help either and after 45 minutes attempted to transfer me to technical support. This is a nightmare.

have you found a fix?

:)

TaraGeuy, Mar 30, 2020
  2. Karla Alm Win User

I have no option to open files in Edge, only to save or save as

Hello,

The original post was created prior to the release of Windows 10 Creators Update and there had been changes released for Microsoft Edge since then. To properly assist you with your concern, we would like to know more. Kindly clarify the following:

• What is your current OS build and version?
    • What is the file type which you are attempting to open in Microsoft Edge?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

For the meantime, we suggest that you recover Microsoft Edge by following the suggestion provided by Tiero Chi on this
    thread.

Let us know the result so we could help you further.

Karla Alm, Mar 30, 2020
  3. microsoft print to pdf files will not open after saving

We suggest that you save the PDF files on your device and check if the issue persists. You may also want to associate the PDF files to Microsoft Edge as the default program to make sure that you have a default application that will open all of your PDF files.
    Here are the steps:

• Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select the .pdf file type and then click the Change program button on the upper right of the
      Set Associations window.
    • Choose Microsoft Edge and then click OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Mar 30, 2020
  4. CAG40 Win User

I have no option to open files in Edge, only to save or save as

Hi Karla Alm, see below:

• What is your current OS build and version? Windows 10 Pro 1607
    • What is the file type which you are attempting to open in Microsoft Edge? Various files including PDF, Word, Excel spreadsheets, etc.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far? Looked at my options for this in Microsoft Edge and did not find the options I'm looking for.

CAG40, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

1. I can't open files in Edge without saving them first - Similar Threads - can't open files

2. When opening files with videos in them for the first time, this happens.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When opening files with videos in them for the first time, this happens.: Is this normal??This video shows exactly what I'm concerned about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKbbkl0KHWE&ab_channel=CameronIvankovic I don't want this to be something that I need to deal with everytime I turn my computer on or something.P.S. It is midnight for me so I...
  3. When opening files with videos in them for the first time, this happens.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When opening files with videos in them for the first time, this happens.: Is this normal??This video shows exactly what I'm concerned about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKbbkl0KHWE&ab_channel=CameronIvankovic I don't want this to be something that I need to deal with everytime I turn my computer on or something.P.S. It is midnight for me so I...
  4. When opening files with videos in them for the first time, this happens.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Saving a PDF file opened in Edge

Saving a PDF file opened in Edge: Until recently, a file opened in Edge could be saved by "right clicking", selecting "Save" and then saving to the target directory on Surface. Now the "Save" functionality is greyed out i.e. saving is not possible so you have to print to PDF which takes longer. Any idea...
  6. Can't open files without saving them first in new Chromium-based Edge Browser

Can't open files without saving them first in new Chromium-based Edge Browser: "Upgrading" to the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge removes the option to open files without saving them first. The old Edge understood the overwhelming customer demand through a feature request campaign and acquiesced by giving us the preferred "Open, Save, Save As" dialog,...
  7. I want to open downloaded files without saving them. Was able to do this until your...

I want to open downloaded files without saving them. Was able to do this until your...: I want to open downloaded files without saving them. Was able to do this until your updates were installed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-open-downloaded-files-without-saving/147d725b-3d1c-42b2-9bd6-7c77d6b53ec6
  8. open files instead of always saving them

open files instead of always saving them: I still haven't mastered the concept of just being able to open a file without saving it. I end up deleting tons of useless data, and it gets annoying. Can anyone offer me a solution?...
  9. How do I open a pdf file from within Edge without saving it first?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I open a pdf file from within Edge without saving it first?: I have Edge as my default browser. I have Foxit reader as my default pdf reader. When I click on a pdf within Edge, I have a choice to save or save as. If I choose one of these options I can open the pdf in Foxit from my desktop. How do I get the option to open the pdf...
  10. How do I download files without having to use MS edge to open them up?

How do I download files without having to use MS edge to open them up?: Even when I open Firefox and download a file. To open it (pdf) it has to open in Microsoft edge . How do I get files to just save to my desktop? I am so missing the simplicity of my mac. 104086

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to open pdf in edge without saving

2. cant open a download without saving first