Windows 10: I can't open photos?

Discus and support I can't open photos? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm on a Windows 10, and I'm using the Windows Photo App. For like...a couple of days now I've been running into a problem, and it has gotten worse.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mauzawa, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Mauzawa Win User

I can't open photos?

I'm on a Windows 10, and I'm using the Windows Photo App.

For like...a couple of days now I've been running into a problem, and it has gotten worse. When I click on a photo to open it, the app does open, but it's just a black screen, and it just stays that way until I decide to close it [so it doesn't close itself or anything]

I can't open photos? a0f6e8c0-98b3-4f88-894e-477e383a7e25?upload=true.png

It doesn't matter which format the image has, it could be jpg, png or gif and it still won't open. And I can still see the thumbnail of the photos in the windows explorer [I think that's what it's called?]

At first it was just this problem [which is a huge pain in the rear as it is, but that I could still find a temporary solution to, like using Paint to just see the photos], but I could still just open the photos app [which I use regularly basically once a week to import photos from my phone to the computer], but I just now noticed that I can't even do that anymore and I'm kind of in a state of panic because of that.

Now, I know there is another way to import files from the phone into the computer but for some reason iPhones [especially the iPhone 8, I've noticed] really like to make things way more difficult than they need to be, and so I had to struggle a lot to both be able to import the files to the computer AND ALSO have them in a format that I can actually view on my computer [I lost a lot of files because of it]. Because of that I'm a little skeptical to import using the other method that is using the windows explorer [?] and basically just go into the phone and selecting all of the files you want to import [especially since that means I have to search through several folders that are in no way organized like, for real, why does it do that? to find the most recent photos and videos out of 7k+ files and only selecting them which gets increasingly more difficult when I can't open them and see what is what because of this issue, then copy & paste them somewhere on the computer]

Now, I've already been trying some methods:

I'm pretty sure I've tried the classic that is restarting the computer, with no luck.

I ran the troubleshooter for windows apps, but it found nothing out of the ordinary and everything seemed to work just fine.

I went into the microsoft store to check if the app needed to be updated, but it did not.

:)

Mauzawa, Feb 20, 2021

2. Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Feb 20, 2021
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done I can't open photos? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Feb 20, 2021
  4. Rose Cal Win User

I can't open photos?

Multiple Photos

We suggest that you follow the steps below to delete the photo through Photos app:

• If you’re looking at your list of photos in Photos app, select the photos by clicking on checkbox on the photos you want to delete. Click
      Delete icon at the bottom right corner to delete.
    • If you open a photo, Tap or press Delete
      key from keyboard.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

I can't open photos?

1. I can't open photos? - Similar Threads - can't open photos

2. I can't see the photos or open them with Microsoft Photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't see the photos or open them with Microsoft Photos: So,I am trying to open any photo file with Microsoft Photos but apparently since the last update of the application it just shows a black box, I have tried updating Windows, updating the application but nothing works....
  3. I can't see the photos or open them with Microsoft Photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't see the photos or open them with Microsoft Photos: So,I am trying to open any photo file with Microsoft Photos but apparently since the last update of the application it just shows a black box, I have tried updating Windows, updating the application but nothing works....
  4. I can't see the photos or open them with Microsoft Photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't open Microsoft Photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't open Microsoft Photos: it doesn't open when I click it and whenever I try opening a photo I get an error The app didn't start I tried to reinstall but still not opening https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-open-microsoft-photos/8cc8829a-1419-43ca-8e32-adbfb6232c64
  6. I can't open Microsoft Photos

I can't open Microsoft Photos: it doesn't open when I click it and whenever I try opening a photo I get an error The app didn't start I tried to reinstall but still not opening https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-open-microsoft-photos/8cc8829a-1419-43ca-8e32-adbfb6232c64
  7. I can't open a PNG photo !

I can't open a PNG photo !: looked over info. here...many said to use the photos app., That does not work ! I see a blank square with a line running horizontally through it .Can anyone be of further help ?Thanks...
  8. Can't Open Photos

Can't Open Photos: I Can't open photos, I get the following error "The app didn't start" don't know what to do, can someone help? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-photos/a3184dc1-9e42-4afd-b3cb-763be666ced2
  9. Why can't I open photos

Why can't I open photos: I recently have been unable to open and view my photos. I can only see the icon with mountains. I found instructions but they do not work for my windows 10 pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-open-photos/0c5d5606-2628-4c5c-b01f-2f9b0a6892e9"
  10. Can't open photo's

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open photo's: when I try and open a photo it says "you can not open this without admin" or something like that I am admin though please help I also have no other accounts 49899