Windows 10: I can't open some microsoft apps.

Discus and support I can't open some microsoft apps. in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I can't open apps like microsoft store, calculator, calendar and Xbox gamebar.When I try to start them nothing shows up. Sometimes when I launch games... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by LazarPopov, Sep 18, 2021.

1. I can't open some microsoft apps.

I can't open apps like microsoft store, calculator, calendar and Xbox gamebar.When I try to start them nothing shows up. Sometimes when I launch games like Minecraft it says "Xbox gamebar can't open search for it in the Microsoft store", but I can still play it. And i tried all of Microsoft Store doesn't launchhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/402733...

:)

LazarPopov, Sep 18, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. I can't open some microsoft apps. :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Sep 18, 2021
  3. mngerhold Win User
    Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

I can't open some microsoft apps. [​IMG]

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Sep 18, 2021
  4. I can't open some microsoft apps.

windows 10 apps won,t open

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We appreciate you for trying the troubleshooting steps.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Run Windows app troubleshooter.

Refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Step 2: Run shell commands for Windows store and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt(Admin)
      to open elevated Command prompt.

• Type the following commands.

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

• Hit enter, the blackscreen will appear still for a couple of seconds. After a couple of second a new line saying C:\.... will appear.

• Close Command Prompt.

• Try to start the Windows Store again.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Sep 18, 2021
Thema:

I can't open some microsoft apps.

1. I can't open some microsoft apps. - Similar Threads - can't open microsoft

2. Can't open/update/reinstall some Microsoft apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open/update/reinstall some Microsoft apps: Some Microsoft apps on my computer are not working. I went to Microsoft Store to check for updates. I tried to update them all, but it shows "Something happened on our end" and does not update. Those are the apps that are not working....
  3. Can't open/update/reinstall some Microsoft apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open/update/reinstall some Microsoft apps: Some Microsoft apps on my computer are not working. I went to Microsoft Store to check for updates. I tried to update them all, but it shows "Something happened on our end" and does not update. Those are the apps that are not working....
  4. I can't get Microsoft apps to open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't get Microsoft apps to open: I can't get microsoft apps to open, whenever i try running Alarm's and Clock or Minecraft: Windows 10 edition it opens for a few seconds and crashes, I tried to restart my pc a couple times, doesn't work I tried doing some scans but they didnt seem to work I checked...
  5. Can't open microsoft store and some apps!

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't open microsoft store and some apps!: Hello Microsoft Community, Since Monday I've been having problems with Microsoft store app, when I open store it appears the message CHECK YOUR CONNECTION Microsoft store needs to be online. It looks like your not. With error code 0x80072EFD. And then a second message with...
  6. Microsoft store and some apps can't open

Microsoft store and some apps can't open: Hello,my microsoft store won't open. One day, I wanted to update some apps on microsoft store. I reset microsoft store because there we problems. After I reset it , It couldn't open. I tried reinstalling MS store and it does nothing. Also, it looks normal at first but when I...
  7. Can't open Microsoft Word and some other Apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't open Microsoft Word and some other Apps: [ATTACH] For the past 2 days, I have not been able to open any of the Microsoft Office apps on my Dell Inspiron 5570 Laptop, which was recently reset after a crash followed by the blue screen of death. Now I have an assignment deadline coming up and this happens ( Added...
  8. i can't open some tabs

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    i can't open some tabs: I use Chrome and Ican connect to everything except my d2l college stuff for CNA, please help, i have classes tomorrow morning, it says "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-open-some-tabs/e24866a9-4ef6-4f9d-82a9-0029b3937201
  9. I can't open Microsoft app

I can't open Microsoft app: i cant open app,when I turn on the app it automatically shuts down.Can someone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-open-microsoft-app/6d566706-9a68-4352-8c90-b0ef9e192513
  10. Microsoft Store Apps some apps won't open

Microsoft Store Apps some apps won't open: Hello, I had another computer with windows 10 and all my games from Microsoft Store all worked. Could it be that I'm using my 50" TV as my monitor, it has a VGA plug on the back of the Tv. My monitor broke so I've been using that as my monitor. I uninstalled MS Store,...