Windows 10: I can't open system settings / programs? rundll32 error, and many more

Discus and support I can't open system settings / programs? rundll32 error, and many more in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey! Today I wanted to add something to my system variables and when I searched "edit the system environment variables" and clicked on it I got a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Shunpaw, Nov 28, 2019.

1. I can't open system settings / programs? rundll32 error, and many more

Hey! Today I wanted to add something to my system variables and when I searched "edit the system environment variables" and clicked on it I got a system32\SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe error "windows cannot access the specific device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item.

Yet when I go to settings and navigate to the system variables it pops up fine.

Then I noticed this is with everything I try to click in the windows search that is related to anything windows.

I tried clearing my search index yet even when I click it in the settings it just gives me a similar error and then crashes the settings. I am confused, can anyone help?

I've tried repairing with sfc.exe /scannow to no avail.

submitted by /u/Shunpaw
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Shunpaw, Nov 28, 2019
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

system error

Hello Melinda,

For us to provide an accurate resolution for the issue that you are experiencing, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Are you only receiving this error message when you're opening a Microsoft programs or any programs?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you have done so far?

If you're receiving this error message only in Microsoft programs, we suggest that you visit this

article
    . From there, you'll be able to see all the troubleshooting steps needed to resolve this issue.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Paolo Mag, Nov 28, 2019
  3. Jose Est Win User
    rundll32.exe error in windows 10

Hi Aaron,

Rundll32.exe is an application that is used to launch functionality stored in shared .dll files, because
    DLL (Dynamic Link Library) files can't be launched directly.

Here are methods that we can do to resolve Rundll32.exe errors in Windows 10:

Method 1 – Replace the corrupted file using Startup Repair:

• In the search box, type Recovery options. Double-click Recovery options.
    • Go to Advanced startup, click Restart now.
    • A blue window will pop-up, select Troubleshooting.
    • Select Advanced options > Startup Settings >
      Restart.
    • On the new list with settings that will appear, select Enable debugging.

Method 2 – Use the scannow command:

• In the search menu, type cmd.
    • Right-click Command Prompt >Run as administrator.
    • Type the command sfc/scannow and press Enter.
    The sfc/scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files.

Method 3 – Replace the corrupted Rundll file:

• Download a copy of the Rundll32.exe file from the Internet.
    • Replace the missing or corrupted Rundll file with the new one.
      • Go to windows\system32\rundll32.exe.
      • Paste the new rundll32.exe file.

NOTE: Downloading a copy of the Rundll32.exe
    file from the Internet may cause system issues, virus and malware infection.

The entire risk arising out of the use of the downloaded file remains with you.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Jose Est, Nov 28, 2019
  4. zbook Win User

I can't open system settings / programs? rundll32 error, and many more

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

I can't open system settings / programs? rundll32 error, and many more

1. I can't open system settings / programs? rundll32 error, and many more - Similar Threads - can't open system

2. Can't open settings your system administrator has blocked this program error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open settings your system administrator has blocked this program error: We are using an active directory windows server 2016. Our users are on the domain and we want to provide installation access through standard account without providing the administrator privilege in windows 11. But when we try to access windows settings or any applications in...
  3. Can't open settings your system administrator has blocked this program error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open settings your system administrator has blocked this program error: We are using an active directory windows server 2016. Our users are on the domain and we want to provide installation access through standard account without providing the administrator privilege in windows 11. But when we try to access windows settings or any applications in...
  4. i can't open the system settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    i can't open the system settings: Hello, I have a problem in the windows 10 settings :the settings screen crashes everytime I click on the system category.I can click on everything except on system settings or it makes the settings crashing..Thank you....
  5. rundll32.exe - System Error

in Windows 10 Support
    rundll32.exe - System Error: Im Getting "a new guard page for the stack cannot be created" Error While Zooming a JPEG in Windows Photo Viewer. Sometimes When Pressing Arrow Keys To View Next Photos. But Its Only Happening If There are RAW Files With Same Name. And Error Shows Faster When Adobe Photoshop...
  6. Unable to open many programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to open many programs: For about the last 2 or so weeks, my ability to open programs has decrease. After scanning for bugs and malware with nothing found I tried 3 things recommended online 1. I disabled Windows Firewall and Anti-virus 2. Updated registry for .exe and exefile to "1%"% (typing...
  7. I can't open a program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't open a program: Hey, The setup program (.exe) of Lightshot is on my C drive. I relocated my program files from my C to my D drive not too long ago, throught the regedit. But when I continued the installation through the setup program, it downloaded lightshot on my C drive. Whenever I...
  8. Can't open more than one window of any program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open more than one window of any program: When you right click (or left click and drag up) an app in the taskbar it brings up a menu. The bare minimum this menu displays for any app is: an option to pin/unpin from taskbar, an option to open a window of that app, and (if its running) a close button. Recently I have...
  9. Runtime Error! Program C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\RunDll32.exe

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Runtime Error! Program C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\RunDll32.exe: Hello. I've been trying to update my Nvidia drivers and I haven't had this problem until now (been using Windows 10 for about a month or two with many past driver updates not giving me any problems) and I keep getting this error. One solution was to do a registry cleaner, and...
  10. rundll32.exe opens and closes continiously

in Windows 10 Support
    rundll32.exe opens and closes continiously: All this started back in early August, or about the time "Windows Creator" was installed. I have sound notifications for processes that open or close, a paranoia from long ago, or I would have never known this was going on. rundll32.exe continuously opens and closes...