Windows 10: I can't rename any Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of drive or folder...

Discus and support I can't rename any Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of drive or folder... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I can't rename Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of location. Clicking Rename on Right Mouse Context Menu does nothing, F2 does nothing.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JimDiGritz, Nov 29, 2023.

1. I can't rename any Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of drive or folder...

I can't rename Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of location. Clicking Rename on Right Mouse Context Menu does nothing, F2 does nothing. Edition Windows 11 Home Version 23H2 Installed on ‎18/‎11/‎2022 OS build 22631.2715 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22677.1000.0 Have checked for Windows Update, have also restarted Explorer in the Task Manager and Restarted several times. I have also previously Run SFC and DISM which DID resolve the issue, until I restarted, and the problem has returned.However these are the results now, still have the issue.SFC returns this:C:

:)

JimDiGritz, Nov 29, 2023
  2. danwca Win User

can not rename a folder

after accidentally deleting some registry keys, something happens to my windows, here is the description:

1. in explorer, create a folder, and type a new name for "new folder", after hitting "enter", an error message window shows "Can't find the specified file; make sure you specify the correct path and file name"; click the button "Cancel", a message box shows "The file or folder does not exist", click the button "Ok"; then the folder leave as "new folder"
    2. in explorer, rename a folder, and the same thing happens.
    3. in cmd, ren "new folder" "anything", it works.
    4. in explorer, can not drag and drop a folder
    so, I can use cmd to create and rename a folder.

any suggestions to fix the registry are appreciated.

Thanks,

danwca, Nov 29, 2023
  3. WojtasRed Win User
    Hidden folders

I installed `Kane and Lynch` on my PC twice in Program Files(x86) folder but I can`t find them (2 folders with game). But free space on my HDD is lower. So there`re those folders on my hdd. I use option `unhide` hidden folders but still can`t find them. Any suggestions? How can i delete those hidden folders?

When I run istallation for this game I can see those folders in Program Files(x86) folde.

I`m using Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

WojtasRed, Nov 29, 2023
  4. I can't rename any Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of drive or folder...

Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, Nov 29, 2023
Thema:

I can't rename any Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of drive or folder...

1. I can't rename any Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of drive or folder... - Similar Threads - can't rename Files

2. I can't rename any Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of drive or folder...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't rename any Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of drive or folder...: I can't rename Files or Folders. No error message, regardless of location. Clicking Rename on Right Mouse Context Menu does nothing, F2 does nothing. Edition Windows 11 Home Version 23H2 Installed on ‎18/‎11/‎2022 OS build 22631.2715 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  3. Can't Rename a Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Rename a Folder: I'm trying to get rid of duplicate photos. I used CCleaner which showed duplicates in:"C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Pictures\iCloud Photos\Downloads.old"When I look at it, it's path is:"C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Pictures\iCloud Photos\Downloads". When I look at the file, the name is...
  4. I can't rename folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't rename folder: i can't rename my folder even i make a new folder[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-rename-folder/8ed71184-89b3-4822-b9f1-168ebe235361
  5. catroot2 folder rename error : the action can't be completed because the folder or a file...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    catroot2 folder rename error : the action can't be completed because the folder or a file...: Gettng this error while trying to rename the catroot2 folder step. net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start...
  6. I can't rename the folder

I can't rename the folder: after the update my window 10. I can't rename the folder or I can't move the folder..this problem show [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-rename-the-folder/2b7d7977-8ab0-4260-b267-1154dfc1f626
  7. Can't rename folders

Can't rename folders: I created a new folder on my surface pro on the C Drive. When I attempt to rename it by tapping on the folder, and then clicking rename it allows me into the folder name, but the minute I bring up the virtual keyboard the focus changes, and I am no longer on the folder name...
  8. Any way to rename the "File folder" type?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Any way to rename the "File folder" type?: I want to organize files by type but have shortcuts and folders on top. I was able to rename the Shortcut file type to .shortcut with the help of the Types app, which puts it on top, but I'm unable to rename the "File folder" type. Any way to change this type too? Or any...
  9. Can't rename a folder.

Can't rename a folder.: I love when Explorer won't allow me to rename a folder, when literally nothing is using the folder at all in any **** i n g way, you **** h o l e s. It doesn't even have the courtesy to tell me what ghost program is using the folder....
  10. Can't rename any folder (error 0x80004005)

Can't rename any folder (error 0x80004005): Hi, I recently ran into a problem. When I try to rename any folder on my drive or in an external USB, an error "0x80004005" pops up and says: 'An unexpected error is keeping you from renaming the folder. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to...