Windows 10: I can't search for apps in my start menu typing with the keyboard.

Discus and support I can't search for apps in my start menu typing with the keyboard. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/MicAnej [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0mmnw/i_cant_search_for_apps_in_my_start_menu_typing/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MicAnej, Nov 23, 2019.

1. I can't search for apps in my start menu typing with the keyboard.

/u/MicAnej, Nov 23, 2019

2. Can't type in Cortana search box

Hi Brendon,

Is you keyboard working normally on other apps such as Notepad? If not, run the built in troubleshooter for your keyboard. Here are the steps:

• Type Troubleshoot in the Search box and press
      Enter.
    • Look for and run the Keyboard troubleshooter.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions.
    In the mean time, we suggest that you refer to the link below for actions that you can perform to troubleshoot issues with the Start menu or Cortana:

Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rolando Vil, Nov 23, 2019
  3. Makosya Win User
    Keyboard will not work with Start menu search and apps

Hello, I am having an issue where the start menu search and apps does not work with the keyboard. It works on third party apps, such as Google Chrome and Word. It will NOT work with Windows apps, such as Calendar, Weather, Mail, etc. However, I did find
    a solution by searching online, that if I run a command line in CMD, and type in ctfmon.exe, the keyboard starts to work in Start Menu search and apps as well. The problem is, is that I have to put that command line every time I turn my computer on, or have
    to restart it. I started having this problem since I upgraded my Windows 10 to version 1703. Is there a way for me to permanently make the start menu search and apps to work automatically when my PC restarts or turns on? Please help. Thanks.

Makosya, Nov 23, 2019
  4. I can't search for apps in my start menu typing with the keyboard.

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

I can't search for apps in my start menu typing with the keyboard.

1. I can't search for apps in my start menu typing with the keyboard. - Similar Threads - can't search apps

2. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  3. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  4. Can't type in start menu search bar?

in Cortana
    Can't type in start menu search bar?: Today i started facing this issue after i set my system's locale to japan so i could run some software.The language options on the bottom right of the bar disappeared and suddenly I wasn't able to type anything in the search box of the start menu. or the settings. I tried...
  5. i can't search immediately on start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    i can't search immediately on start menu: Hi, in past , when I opened start menu ,I could search among its apps by typing keys on the keyboard. but now , I lost this good ability, and i can't search immediately on start menu , how I can retrieve back this start menu's feature ?...
  6. Windows 10: Can't type in search box or in start menu.

in Cortana
    Windows 10: Can't type in search box or in start menu.: Hello, I've been using my new Windows 10 PC for less than a day and am unable to type into the Windows 10 search box/bar. Also, setting the search bar to display the search icon instead, and then clicking on the icon does not make a search bar appear nothing happens. Showing...
  7. Can't type in start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't type in start menu?: After Windows automatically restart to install their amazing new update, I can no longer type in the start menu. I have tried nearly all fixes I have found online, including reinstalling Cortana and running ctfmon.exe, but none of it has worked. This issue only started when...
  8. I can't type into Windows 10 search bar or type within start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't type into Windows 10 search bar or type within start menu: So randomly, I can no longer type into the windows 10 search and when I bring up the start menu I cannot type in it to search for apps. I've search and tried a few things but still no luck. I attempted to do a system restore to a previous point in safe mode, but I run into an...
  9. I can't use Search in Start Menu

in Cortana
    I can't use Search in Start Menu: Hi, When I open Start Menu and start typing something I get the white block. How I can fix that issue? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-use-search-in-start-menu/192fc523-48a4-4654-89b8-e6e9f35c6ebc"
  10. Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps: I've noticed now on multiple computers I've installed Windows 10 on, that a quick win-key search isn't able to bring up installed apps. I'm sure this isn't how it's meant to be, and that there must be a fix... right? 10556