Windows 10: I can't see an external drive

Discus and support I can't see an external drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to move 4G of files from an iOmega external drive to my WD 4T backup drive, but Windows Explorer does not see the iOmega drive. Device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mike Row Soft, Jun 20, 2019.

1. I can't see an external drive

I'm trying to move 4G of files from an iOmega external drive to my WD 4T backup drive, but Windows Explorer does not see the iOmega drive. Device Manager sees it, its driver is updated, I disabled and enabled it, tried various USB ports, rebooted my laptop, but Windows Explorer still does not see it.

:)

Mike Row Soft, Jun 20, 2019

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Jun 20, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 20, 2019
  4. I can't see an external drive

External drives using true Sata connection?

While I did not choose the route of using an external case+usb drive, I appreciate the responses as I now understand what to look for if I need a cheaper alternative to making use of an old internal drive.

Related to this query was my decision between external drives and a NAS box.

The results are here
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...comment-or-suggest.205283/page-2#post-3173519

newconroer, Jun 20, 2019
Thema:

I can't see an external drive

1. I can't see an external drive - Similar Threads - can't external drive

2. Can't see the C drive partition of an old HDD used as external

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't see the C drive partition of an old HDD used as external: Hello,My last laptop can't boot anymore so I bought a new one.I took the drive from this last laptop to transfer files to the new laptop, using that drive as an external drive. When the drive was internal to the old laptop, it had two partitions C system and user documents, D...
  3. I Can't Install On A External Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Can't Install On A External Drive: For Some Odd Reason I Try To Install On A SSD With 340GB's Free But An Error Saying I Have No Storage Left. Also I Installed Flight Simulator But It Installed On My C-Drive With Only 250GB's Of Storage. I Tried Halo Master Chief CollectionThanks For Reading :...
  4. File History can't see external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History can't see external hard drive: File History can no longer see my external hard drive, 4tb WD My Passport. I have used this drive previously with file history on this very computer and on my laptop so I know it can work. A little while ago I decided to temporarily stop using File History, but now when I try...
  5. Can't see my USB 3.0 external drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't see my USB 3.0 external drive.: I have a Seagate Model- SRD00F1 USB 3.0 that is not recognized by Windows Disk Management. I do get the connection audio sound when I plug it in but that's it. Any suggestions??? Thanks for your help....
  6. Trouble Seeing External Drive

Trouble Seeing External Drive: I have been using a WD My Passport external drive since 2006. Beginning in Dec 2019, none of my laptops can "see" the external drive when I plug in the USB cable. Using Disk Manager, it says that there are 931 GB Unallocated and disk not been initialized. What happened?...
  7. Can't see external drives in File Explorer

Can't see external drives in File Explorer: I have 3 external disks and none of them are recognised when I plug them in, the usb ports are ok as I can plug any usb drives and use them with no issues. I have used these 3 drives with no problems in the past. I think a Windows 10 update has caused some issues? Please...
  8. Unable to see external hard drive

Unable to see external hard drive: Hi, When I look in my computer or device manager my external hard drives are not visible. However, when I connect the hard drives it makes the usb connection sound. The drives are visible when connected to a different computer. But not when connected to a different usb on...
  9. Windows not seeing external drive

Windows not seeing external drive: I've just moved flat and when I setup my desktop PC again, Win 10 does not see the external USB 3.0, 1 Tb disk drive I have on my system. I had previously noticed this with another small drive but hadn't got round to dealing with it. My flash drives - 2.0 and 3.0 - all work...
  10. External backup can't see Desktop

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External backup can't see Desktop: I've tried searching for this but everything that comes up doesn't get to the problem. Also not sure where to post this. My WD Passport Ext. HD can't see the Desktop or the files on it and I don't know where in the depths of Win 10 to find it. The Passport software only...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cant see external drive