Windows 10: I can't see the Windows.old folder.

Discus and support I can't see the Windows.old folder. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to delete older versions of Windows but I can't see the folder anywhere. It's not in the Storage Sense menu, Disk Clean-Up, File Explorer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Glugging, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Glugging Win User

I can't see the Windows.old folder.

I'm trying to delete older versions of Windows but I can't see the folder anywhere.

It's not in the Storage Sense menu, Disk Clean-Up, File Explorer, and the Run app can't find it either. It's taking

up a lot of storage in my PC so I can't upgrade to newer versions!

The Disk Clean up menu.

I can't see the Windows.old folder. ff74a3d9-81ba-45a7-8b3e-4ac872096518?upload=true.png

The Storage Sense menu. I can't see the Windows.old folder. e963744d-17e6-49e0-b2ae-c3a28df72e0c?upload=true.png

File Explorer Search; No Windows.old folder and the search won't even finish!

I can't see the Windows.old folder. 7594f884-a49a-417e-9b77-c24dfb0df897?upload=true.png

You can tell in all of the pictures, there are no 'Delete previous versions of Windows or anything like that.

Here, you can see the Temporary Files page. There's no option to delete it even though it says that the older versions of Windows are taking up 4.17 GB. In the 'Update Settings' page, there is no option to delete old versions.

I can't see the Windows.old folder. ca708eb6-0e3b-4d9a-b12d-fa82ef570452?upload=true.png

What am I supposed to do? My PC doesn't have very much memory so I need that 4.17 GB!

:)

Glugging, Sep 3, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 3, 2020
  3. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile I can't see the Windows.old folder. :)

Frogger, Sep 3, 2020
  4. I can't see the Windows.old folder.

Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

I can't see the Windows.old folder.

1. I can't see the Windows.old folder. - Similar Threads - can't old folder

2. I can't see or physically delete Windows.old folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't see or physically delete Windows.old folder: After the re-installation of Windows 10, I removed all files i needed from Windows.old and just deleted it thru Recycle bin, as usual file, but now it's invisible, takes around 65gb of space, unreachable thru commands, Disk Cleanup, and Storage Temporary files. I tried...
  3. I can't see or physically delete Windows.old folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't see or physically delete Windows.old folder: After the re-installation of Windows 10, I removed all files i needed from Windows.old and just deleted it thru Recycle bin, as usual file, but now it's invisible, takes around 65gb of space, unreachable thru commands, Disk Cleanup, and Storage Temporary files. I tried...
  4. I can't see or physically delete Windows.old folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  6. Can't delete old Windows folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete old Windows folder: Hello, I bought a new NVME driver, and placed it in the primary slot. The old NVME with Win10 installation is now in the second NVME slot.I installed Windows 11 on the new driver.I didn't format old driver because I still need a lot of files on it. But I would like to free...
  7. I can't see some thumbnails in my folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't see some thumbnails in my folders: Hi, i have had this problem for years now and in different computers. I already searched on here and google to find a viable fix but nothing i have done it have worked until now. So, the problem is that i have a lot of pictures than aren't being shown as thumbnails, but as...
  8. Can't See Networked Computer / Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't See Networked Computer / Folders: windows 10 pro. for the life of me i don't know why setting up a simple home network is such a pain in the neck, seems like it should a pretty darn easy deal. anyway, updated windows a couple of nights ago which of course wiped out my visible shared folders that, btw, i...
  9. Can't see old user folder on external HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't see old user folder on external HDD: I'm updating my old Widows 7 desktop with Windows 10. To make things easier, I'm also replacing my SDD (C: operating system drive), and HDD (E: installed programs and general use drive). I have an 8Tb external hard drive (F: Backup and storage drive) which I stored data I...
  10. Can't see ProgramData folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't see ProgramData folder: The ProgramData folder is not displayed in Explorer. I can search for programs that currently exist in this directory but can't access it. Any clues or how to proceed? 34884