Windows 10: I can't seem to turn on Microsoft Defender

Discus and support I can't seem to turn on Microsoft Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I found a bunch of malwares in my computer. I used Malwarebytes to remove them all. I used the rootkit scan and it took 8 hours to complete. I removed... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Queen.SooJi, Sep 7, 2020.

1. I can't seem to turn on Microsoft Defender

I found a bunch of malwares in my computer. I used Malwarebytes to remove them all. I used the rootkit scan and it took 8 hours to complete. I removed a total of 30 malwares, and a few more with Adware Cleaner from MalwareBytes.

But I am still unable to turn on Windows Defender. The Windows Security page is just empty... Just like this guy in this post:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d-pc-was/c4cc47e5-8af0-49fa-bc41-488bea9f2107

The firewall and network settings says: Windows Defender Firewall is using settings that may make your device unsafe.

I click on Restore Settings. It asks for my User Control Permission, but nothing happens after.

I have followed the answers on this article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d-pc-was/c4cc47e5-8af0-49fa-bc41-488bea9f2107

I also followed the steps on this guide https://www.reddit.com/r/techsuppor...ested_reading_official_malware_removal_guide/

Using command line sfc /scannow have resulted in the following:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

A little background information: I had installed Avast but I had since deleted it. And I have recently also used the Avast Uninstaller program provided from Avast themselves. Before I noticed the malwares, I believe Windows Defender was working as normal AFTER I removed Avast.

Thank you and please help.

:)

Queen.SooJi, Sep 7, 2020

2. WINDOWS DEFENDER is turned off

Hi Ahmed,

Since you're not able to turn on Windows Defender as well, we'd like to know if you have made any changes recently prior to this issue. In the meantime, you may follow the steps below on how to turn on Windows Defender manually:

• Type Windows Defender in the Search bar and press
      Enter.
    • Go to Settings and make sure that the Turn on real-time protection recommended option is turned on.
    Same thing with the other members who are having the same issue, we suggest that you check if the service was setup to
    Automatic in the Services option. Please follow the steps that we've provided last
    September 3, 2017.

Let us know how if you were able to turn it on properly by changing the Startup type to Automatic.

Eileen Gal, Sep 7, 2020
  3. Mala_S Win User
    Windows Defender of Windows 10 stoped working and is not turning on

Hello NasirMahmood1,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

Have you installed any third party anti-virus software?

Step 1: Turn Windows Defender Service On.

Initially, we need to check with the status of
    Windows Defender Service which might be stopping the defender to turn on.

• Press Windows key + R and type
      services.msc and press Enter key.
    • Search for Windows Defender Service and check if it has been started.
    • Right click on Windows Defender Service and click on
      Restart.

Step 2: Turn On Windows Defender Antivirus using Group Policy.

As you are on Windows 10 Pro build, I would suggest
    gpedit.msc
    settings from the following link and set it to Disabled or not configured to
    turn on real time protection setting. Follow the steps mentioned under
    Disable real-time protection from the article-
    Enable and configure antivirus always-on protection and monitoring

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Mala_S, Sep 7, 2020
  4. I can't seem to turn on Microsoft Defender

Unable to turn off Windows Defender

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per description, you are unable to turn off windows defender.

I suggest you try restarting Windows Defender service and check if issue is resolved. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X key and type services.msc,
      hit enter.
    • Search Windows Defender Service.:1) Windows Defender Service ; 2)
      Windows Defender Network.
    • Right click on each and press Start.
    • Restart your computer and check if issue persist.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Ashish Sondhi, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

I can't seem to turn on Microsoft Defender

1. I can't seem to turn on Microsoft Defender - Similar Threads - can't seem turn

2. I can't seem to open Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't seem to open Windows Defender: Every time I try to open windows defender, it shows me the prompt to select the app from the list. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-seem-to-open-windows-defender/724ebffc-1973-429f-bcdd-aca03887d0c4
  3. I can't seem to open Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't seem to open Windows Defender: Every time I try to open windows defender, it shows me the prompt to select the app from the list. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-seem-to-open-windows-defender/724ebffc-1973-429f-bcdd-aca03887d0c4
  4. Windows 11 Microsoft Defender Firewall: I can't turn on the Defender Firewall, error...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Microsoft Defender Firewall: I can't turn on the Defender Firewall, error...: Hello,I am running a Lenovo Thinkpad T480 under Windows 11 latest update, i.e. 2022-04 Cum Update. I use Windows Defender antivirus and I would like to turn on Microsoft Defender Firewall. However, the option to turn it on is greyed out and I have an error message : "This...
  5. Windows 11 Microsoft Defender Firewall: I can't turn on the Defender Firewall, error...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Microsoft Defender Firewall: I can't turn on the Defender Firewall, error...: Hello,I am running a Lenovo Thinkpad T480 under Windows 11 latest update, i.e. 2022-04 Cum Update. I use Windows Defender antivirus and I would like to turn on Microsoft Defender Firewall. However, the option to turn it on is greyed out and I have an error message : "This...
  6. Can't turn on Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't turn on Windows Defender: When I try to access Defender I just get a message saying there is no app to open it and try the Windows Store. Then that draws a blank. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/cant-turn-on-windows-defender/717b0d90-3abf-4e71-a4c2-329d7ef24827
  7. Can't turn on Windows Defender

Can't turn on Windows Defender: In Windows security, it says it is being managed by my organization?? How do I change this so that I can use Windows Defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-turn-on-windows-defender/93ca22d3-4d33-4a4d-b51f-99413768d891"
  8. Windows defender is turned off, but I can't turn back on.

Windows defender is turned off, but I can't turn back on.: Windows defender is turned off, but I can't turn back on.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/windows-defender/13a2ef85-05bd-4bef-8c77-923e1e371852
  9. Can't turn on Windows Defender

Can't turn on Windows Defender: When I try to turn on Windows Defender I get an error message about another program not allowing Defender to turn on with directions to go to the action center to resolve the issue. The action center gives me a list of over 3000 files. Further delving into the settings says...
  10. I can't turn on windows defender

I can't turn on windows defender: I accidentally downloaded a virus a few days ago, and now if I try to turn on windows defender it says "Your Virus and Threat protection is managed by your organization." but I'm not part of any kind of company or organization. What do I do?...