Windows 10: I can't select my external drive for copies in File history

Discus and support I can't select my external drive for copies in File history in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to activate File History feature in windows 10, but I can not because Its says than No drive found that can be used. But I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Pilovar, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Pilovar Win User

I can't select my external drive for copies in File history

Hello,

I am trying to activate File History feature in windows 10, but I can not because Its says than No drive found that can be used. But I have attached a external USB HDD and I have another internal HDD, in addition of my windows system SSD drive. I cannot select neither the external nor internal HDD. I think that when installed windows 10, some weeks ago, I could select either the internal or external HDD, but now, I can`t. Any solution?.

:)

Pilovar, Sep 8, 2019

2. File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Sep 8, 2019
  3. File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Sep 8, 2019
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Regarding copying of files in external drive from pc

Hi,

The message that appeared on your screen may have occurred due to the possible missing files if you'll try to copy it that way. We suggest that you follow these steps on how you can copy the file together with it's properties:

• Right click on the application (Bully) and click Properties.
    • On the application properties window, under the Shortcut tab, click
      Open File Location.
    • The File Location window will open.
    • Select everything. Copy and paste it to the external drive.
    • The copying process may take a while depending on the type of files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Sep 8, 2019
Thema:

1. I can't select my external drive for copies in File history - Similar Threads - can't select external

2. Why can't I make copies of my files to an external drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I make copies of my files to an external drive?: When I try to make copies of my files to an external drive, the folders get copies but not the files. I also often get the following message:After this message, the computer general freezes. I would welcome any help!...
  3. Why can't I make copies of my files to an external drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I make copies of my files to an external drive?: When I try to make copies of my files to an external drive, the folders get copies but not the files. I also often get the following message:After this message, the computer general freezes. I would welcome any help!...
  4. I have set up File History with an external drive, but no files are being copied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have set up File History with an external drive, but no files are being copied: I recently got an external hard drive and I was hoping to be able to back up my files with some sort of version control system. File History seemed like a good option since it is possible to add additional folders and it appears to do everything I want it to do. I followed a...
  5. I have set up File History with an external drive, but no files are being copied

I have set up File History with an external drive, but no files are being copied: I recently got an external hard drive and I was hoping to be able to back up my files with some sort of version control system. File History seemed like a good option since it is possible to add additional folders and it appears to do everything I want it to do. I followed a...
  6. Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history: I have seen and followed all the explanations to use file history with windows 11 to backup files to an external drive, But I can't find how to select or add files to backup as it was possible with windows 10. The only option left is exclude files to backup...Anyone knows how...
  7. Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history

Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history: I have seen and followed all the explanations to use file history with windows 11 to backup files to an external drive, But I can't find how to select or add files to backup as it was possible with windows 10. The only option left is exclude files to backup...Anyone knows how...
  8. File History can't see external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History can't see external hard drive: File History can no longer see my external hard drive, 4tb WD My Passport. I have used this drive previously with file history on this very computer and on my laptop so I know it can work. A little while ago I decided to temporarily stop using File History, but now when I try...
  9. Add an external drive to File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Add an external drive to File History: Windows 10 1909 I've added an external data drive to my system, and would like the files to be backed up using File History. It doesn't seem to matter if I select the drive, or individual folders on the drive, back up data never shows up. Is this something File History...
  10. i can't reconnect my file history drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    i can't reconnect my file history drive: i have an HP stream and since i got it and installed windows 10 it kept saying it was low on storage, when i tried to go through storage space and disk management to clean the space it could not clean out anything because everything was needed for the system to work...