Windows 10: I can't share a folder with my XP computer like I used to

Discus and support I can't share a folder with my XP computer like I used to in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had a folder shared with my XP computer when I had Windows 8.1, but now it's not sharing. I think the problem started when I stopped using my Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by manyhatsink, Aug 17, 2015.

1. I can't share a folder with my XP computer like I used to

I had a folder shared with my XP computer when I had Windows 8.1, but now it's not sharing. I think the problem started when I stopped using my Windows username/password to get into windows 10. I have no password attached to it now. When I try to open up the folder from my XP computer, it keeps asking for that password, but if I put in the Microsoft password it doesn't open the folder either.
    Can anyone tell me how to share a folder (or more) between my Windows 10 computer and my XP computer?

:)

manyhatsink, Aug 17, 2015
  2. Many Hats Win User

sharing with XP computer

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can't share with my XP computer. How can I open file/folder sharing here?

Many Hats, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Folder and printer sharing no longer working since upgrading to Windows 10

I have a Brother HL-2240D printer connected to my main computer via a USB port. The computer was running Windows 8.1. I shared the printer and added it to a Windows XP computer on my home network. I then upgraded the Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 10. I
    plugged in a new Windows 10 computer on my network and tried to add the shared printer. It sees my other Windows 10 computer but not the printer and I cannot add it. I went back to the Windows XP computer and although the shared printer is still listed, it
    cannot no longer connect to it.

I checked the computer with the printer and it is still configured to be shared. The sharing options for the current profile (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings) are to set to “Turn on file and printer
    sharing”.

In addition, I have several shared folders on my main Windows 10 computer. The Windows XP computer had those shared folders mapped as drive letters. They can no longer be accessed. The new Windows 10 computer cannot map network folders on the main computer
    (it does not see the main computer but it does see the Windows XP computer).

Folders shared on the Windows XP computer and the new Windows 10 computer are accessible from the old Windows 10 computer so the loss of access is only one direction (the other computers cannot get into the main Windows 10 computer but the main Windows 10
    computer can access going out to the other computers).

What needs to be done so the other computers can access the shared printer and shared folders on the main Windows 10 computer?

Thanks to anybody who can help me out.

BarryKoopersmith, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

I can't share a folder with my XP computer like I used to

1. I can't share a folder with my XP computer like I used to - Similar Threads - can't share folder

2. I can't open the shared folder!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't open the shared folder!: Hello,I created a folder named "Hello" and shared it and set Everyone user access on it to full:On the destination computer, when I want to open this folder, it asks me for a username and password:Why? What is wrong?Thank you....
  3. I can't open the shared folder!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't open the shared folder!: Hello,I created a folder named "Hello" and shared it and set Everyone user access on it to full:On the destination computer, when I want to open this folder, it asks me for a username and password:Why? What is wrong?Thank you....
  4. I like windows XP Im using XP right now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I like windows XP Im using XP right now: Plz start supporting XP again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-like-windows-xp-im-using-xp-right-now/00397b95-8d99-4689-9bcb-f3efe87df00f
  5. I like windows XP Im using XP right now

I like windows XP Im using XP right now: Plz start supporting XP again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-like-windows-xp-im-using-xp-right-now/00397b95-8d99-4689-9bcb-f3efe87df00f
  6. I can't create a folder on my computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't create a folder on my computer: I was trying to create a folder on an external SSD but there was no option for folder in the menu to create a new item. I then tried it on my desktop and it didn't work. I updated windows, restarted, and also tried to enter the Controlled Folder Access menu but it said mt IT...
  7. I can't create a folder on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't create a folder on my computer: I was trying to create a folder on an external SSD but there was no option for folder in the menu to create a new item. I then tried it on my desktop and it didn't work. I updated windows, restarted, and also tried to enter the Controlled Folder Access menu but it said mt IT...
  8. I can't create a folder on my computer

9. I can't use my computer properly

in Cortana
    I can't use my computer properly: I've had to reset my whole pc because of an issue that I still have even after the reset, I can't type in the Cortana search bar, it just closes when ever I type in it I can't right click in anything that isn't my desktop/homescreen Even in Edge I can't type in the...
  10. I can't use my computer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't use my computer.: For some reason ever since I reset my computer, I haven't been able to efficiently use it. For some reason nothing works unless I press right click on mouse or do (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and press cancel it works for a few seconds then stops again. Also for some reason my computer...