Windows 10: I can't shut down or change battery settings.

Discus and support I can't shut down or change battery settings. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I got some data recovered on July 2 after the bad May update reset my PC in June. last Tuesday, I lost the ability to change my brightness. My battery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by goodcook03, Jul 13, 2020.

1. I can't shut down or change battery settings.

I got some data recovered on July 2 after the bad May update reset my PC in June. last Tuesday, I lost the ability to change my brightness. My battery usage bar also disappeared. I checked my settings and saw that there are no options for when my PC can go to sleep or shut down. My power button does not shut my laptop down anymore.

What can I do to fix this?

:)

goodcook03, Jul 13, 2020

2. Can't shut down since recent update

Hi,

This problem that you currently encountered may have something to do with your computer's power management. For us to isolate and address this problem, we suggest running the Power troubleshooter. Follow these steps:

• Search for Troubleshooting in the Cortana search window.
    • Click View all in the left pane.
    • Look for Power, click it, and hit Next.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

In case the issue persists after running the Power troubleshooter, please verify if pressing the power button is set to shut down your PC. Go to
    Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do. Make sure it is set to
    Shut down and then save the changes.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 13, 2020
  3. Won't shut down or restart -- error X0X

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask what are the methods that you have tried to solve the issue.

The issue might occur if the computer is not shut down properly. so, I suggest you to perform a power drain by follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Shut down the Computer.
    • Remove all power source (including battery if it is a laptop).
    • Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Connect the power source and start the computer.
    • After the computer boots to the desktop, suggest you to install all the pending updates.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 13, 2020
  4. David Haz Win User

I can't shut down or change battery settings.

Computer Shuts Down

Hi Austin,

If your computer shuts down unexpectedly when the battery is at 50%, it is possible that the battery is defective or that the drivers of the battery is incompatible with Windows 10 version 1709. For us to isolate the issue about shutting down when the battery
    is at 50%, kindly respond to the questions below:

• Is your computer new? Or, is it an old computer upgraded to Windows 10?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Have you checked if the driver for your battery is updated? If not, kindly do so.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done? This is for us to know and to avoid any duplication of efforts on your end.

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

I can't shut down or change battery settings.

1. I can't shut down or change battery settings. - Similar Threads - can't shut down

2. Automatic shut down settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic shut down settings.: Hello, please help. As my keyboard has stopped responding on start up, and consequently I cannot log in, I want to leave my computer on all the time until I can fix the underlying problem. So where in settings do I find that. It is set to shut down if unattended for a certain...
  3. Automatic shut down settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatic shut down settings.: Hello, please help. As my keyboard has stopped responding on start up, and consequently I cannot log in, I want to leave my computer on all the time until I can fix the underlying problem. So where in settings do I find that. It is set to shut down if unattended for a certain...
  4. Automatic shut down settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How can I change the battery level for my laptop to shut down?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How can I change the battery level for my laptop to shut down?: its really annoying because at 5% it just shuts down with no warning whatsoever and loses everything i had saved. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-the-battery-level-for-my-laptop/7089243c-5997-4916-b787-54a50bfad4ce
  6. PC Shuts Down when on battery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC Shuts Down when on battery: My Win 10 Home edition PC shuts down when it is on battery. The shutdown occurs after 30 minutes which is my setting for when the PC should sleep on battery power. Everything works fine while battery power until the 30 minutes of non use has the PC go to sleep. Any advice...
  7. can't shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can't shut down: my pc froze when i entered code to change password, now i can't sign in or off, or shut down. help!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/cant-shut-down/c8365d80-235e-407e-9623-5eaaf6627638
  8. NIC card shutting down "to save energy", can't change setting back

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NIC card shutting down "to save energy", can't change setting back: Some how my internet "network adapter" was set to "shut off to conserve energy", but I got impatient with the delay and sought to change it back, so I found the setting and unchecked the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to conserve power". It is still doing...
  9. I can't shut down properly.

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't shut down properly.: Hello. I am having a strange issue. When I first recieved my laptop, it was running Windows 7. I did the Windows 10 update, but found the boot time to be slow, so I installed Windows 10 from scratch (well, kind of. I left my Linux partitions [Which I installed long after I...
  10. Shut down computer when on battery

in Windows 10 Support
    Shut down computer when on battery: Hello, I need to be able to shut down my ASUS R517S laptop whenever it is running on battery (which is internal and cannot be removed easily). OS: Windows 10 Home. Why? Working in a offshore environment with a...