Windows 10: I can't switch between screens in Windows 10

Discus and support I can't switch between screens in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use Alt+Tab to switch between screens. Sometimes, it won't work and I will re-start my computer and I may have to do that multiple times before it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by adslpx, Feb 12, 2018.

1. adslpx Win User

I can't switch between screens in Windows 10

I use Alt+Tab to switch between screens. Sometimes, it won't work and I will re-start my computer and I may have to do that multiple times before it works normally. I do notice that when it isn't working, I can't use the taskbar either to switch between screens (programs). I currently have Chrome and Open Office open. If both are maximized, then it won't switch. If one is minimized, and I click on it, it will open on my screen. But once it is maximized, I can't go between them unless I minimize first.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

Thanks

:)

adslpx, Feb 12, 2018

2. desktop is not listed in Ctrl+Tab toggle

I have just switched to Windows 10, away from Windows 8.1.

In Windows 8.1, when using the Ctrl+Tab toggle to switch between screens, the desktop would be among the screens in the toggling carousel, but does not show in Windows 10.

Is there a fix?

GuyCruls_851, Feb 12, 2018
  3. mlgray Win User
    How to switch between recent screens

I'm feeling a little stupid right now, but it was driving me crazy. (I actually thought at one point that shaking the phone had something to do with it. Oh - now I'm feeling more than a litte stupid.)

Thanks for the quick response!

mlgray, Feb 12, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Alt+Tab does not really switch between screens. What it does instead is to switch among open windows. If you click Alt+Tab, then select an open window that's on the "other display" this will accomplish your goal in a kind of back-handed way. I don't know of, nor can I find, any specific hotkey sequence that jumps the cursor from display 1 to display 2 (and so forth) or vice versa. Anybody else got something?
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 12, 2018
  5. adslpx Win User
    I wonder if I am stating the issue incorrectly in my verbiage. I use alt+tab to bring the window I want to see up. So, if I have multiple windows, or programs going, and I want to go from one to the other, I can see those in my task bar. I can select it, but it will not come up on my screen. Only if I minimize the window I have up can I then see the other window. I usually utilize alt+tab to go from window to window but it isn't working. I am noticing that when alt+tab does not work, I cannot open another window from the task bar either. Let me know if you get the issue from this description. I am on a laptop and only have one screen. Thank you

adslpx, Feb 12, 2018
  6. adslpx Win User
    I had to re-start my laptop about 10 times but now it is finally working. Phew. Usually, it takes a restart or two not 10. This only happens after a restart. It either works or it doesn't. When it doesn't, I restart until it does. I really have no idea why this happens.

adslpx, Feb 12, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    No, I missed your initial boat completely, so sorry. In fact, I think I sailed on a different fleet entirely! Sorry about that, and glad you got your problem sorted out. Sounds like something is getting "stuck" with the UI itself. In cases like this, it often makes sense to perform an upgrade repair install (which changes only OS files, but leaves your apps and most of your settings and preferences alone). See this TenForums tutorial for more info: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade .
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I can't switch between screens in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - can't switch between

2. Problem with mouse can't click when switching between screens

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with mouse can't click when switching between screens: HiI am having a strange problem with windows 11 when I switch between screens when I am playing the mouse buttons do not work I have to disconnect it from the USB port to work again if I move it sideways if it works, I have tried other USB ports and with other mice I still...
  3. Problem with mouse can't click when switching between screens

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with mouse can't click when switching between screens: HiI am having a strange problem with windows 11 when I switch between screens when I am playing the mouse buttons do not work I have to disconnect it from the USB port to work again if I move it sideways if it works, I have tried other USB ports and with other mice I still...
  4. Can't switch between earphones and laptop speaker.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't switch between earphones and laptop speaker.: Hello;Previously I created a question,please see this thread to understand the question :- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-switch-between-sound-devices-anymore/fc564b54-be16-457f-a1cb-3edd332f754c . The problem is not solved yet and my thread is...
  5. Can't switch between earphones and laptop speaker.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't switch between earphones and laptop speaker.: Hello;Previously I created a question,please see this thread to understand the question :- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-switch-between-sound-devices-anymore/fc564b54-be16-457f-a1cb-3edd332f754c . The problem is not solved yet and my thread is...
  6. Can't switch between sound devices anymore.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't switch between sound devices anymore.: Hello,I have Asus X55C running Windows 10 latest build and I noticed a problem that I can't switch between my Earphones connected at the headphone jack and the in-built speakers of laptop. If I want to switch them then I have to remove my earphones from the headphone jack. I...
  7. I can't switch between graphics cards on my laptop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't switch between graphics cards on my laptop.: So, a couple of months ago I had to reset my laptop. Everything was just like it was before but when i click rmb on the desktop it no longer shows the option to change graphics card for a program that i click, but it was there before i reset it. Please can someone help me...
  8. Switching between Windows 10 and Windows 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Switching between Windows 10 and Windows 7: On my machine, I have installed Windows 7 and Windows 10. How to switch between operating systems without restarting computer? 131017
  9. Can't switch between user accounts - Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't switch between user accounts - Windows 10: Since yesterday, I'm unable to switch between user accounts. Button changes from white to blue when hovered, but no response to click. Any ideas/suggestions welcome. 39503
  10. Switching between full screen apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Switching between full screen apps: I know not many people use full screen apps, but how do you easily switch between them in 8/8.1 go to start screen load app go to start screen load another app now you can mouse to top left and select which app you want in 10 go to start screen load app and use...