Windows 10: I can't switch on Virus and Threat Protection on Windows defender on my windows 10

Discus and support I can't switch on Virus and Threat Protection on Windows defender on my windows 10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I can't enable virus and threat protection in my windows 10. I do not have any other antivirus installed. Whenever I open windows defender I can see... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SukantaDebnath1, Nov 26, 2018.

1. I can't switch on Virus and Threat Protection on Windows defender on my windows 10

I can't enable virus and threat protection in my windows 10. I do not have any other antivirus installed. Whenever I open windows defender I can see all the other protections are on but Virus and Threat protection, While I try to switch it on, I get two different response as below -

1. Your IT Administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you tried to access is not available. Contact IT help desk for more information.

2. Your Virus and Threat protection is managed by your organization.

Just for information, this is a personal laptop and I did not have it configured by my office. This is a Lenovo ideapad 330S and it came with a pre installed Windows 10.

:)

SukantaDebnath1, Nov 26, 2018
  2. JCH54 Win User

virus and threat protection

Virus and threat protection has stopped and will not restart, Windows 10 ver 1709, antimalware client ver 4.12.16299.15 . SuperAntiSpyware installed.

I have tried most of the suggestions from the support pages, all have been ineffective. Any suggestions

Moved from: Virus and Malware / Windows Defender / Updating Virus and Spyware Definitions / Windows 10

JCH54, Nov 26, 2018
  3. sherinsam Win User
    windows defender virus and threat protection

i am not able to turn on the virus and threat protection function of windows defender in my windows 10 laptop....

while i was trying to download one key generator , an additional a software named KOMETA browser also installed without my knowledge.......

and it changed the startup menu , start icon , and a small gadget deck in my desktop. and i tried a lot to uninstall the kometa browser , atlast i found the solution in malware tips.com . by looking down the procedures, i downloaded Adwcleaner to remove
    adwares , at that time windows defender virus and threat protection went off.... i also downloaded Malwarebytes to remove the browser ads... and i uninstalled both software . and when tried to scan my laptop with windows defender , it asked me to restart
    virus and threat protection , but when i tried to restart it , showed a dialogue box reading "Unexpected error. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try again". and now i am not able to scan with windows defender....

sherinsam, Nov 26, 2018
  4. I can't switch on Virus and Threat Protection on Windows defender on my windows 10

Cannot turn on Windows Defender virus protection

I had the same sort of symptoms. In the Windows Security Center, under Virus and threat protection, it said "Your virus & threat protection is managed by your organization."

I can't switch on Virus and Threat Protection on Windows defender on my windows 10 wm5Jc.png

I note you mentioned the Registry Keys under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Defender. Nice spotting, but it seems like there is another key that is causing the problem for some users.

Steps to a solution:

1. Press the Windows key and type "regedit"
    2. On the regedit icon that appears, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Navigate to the folder located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender (You can paste this into the address box at the top of the window, or navigate manually using the side directory structure)
    4. In this folder, there are probably two keys. Right-click and Delete the DisableAntiSpyware key.
    5. Exit regedit, and return to the Windows Defender settings screen (refresh it if necessary). Windows Defender should have the scan options available and working.

Solution adapted from here, with a much more detailed solution here.

MechtEngineer, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

I can't switch on Virus and Threat Protection on Windows defender on my windows 10

1. I can't switch on Virus and Threat Protection on Windows defender on my windows 10 - Similar Threads - can't switch Virus

2. Windows Defender Virus and threat protection stopped

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Virus and threat protection stopped: Pressing the restart button just leads to an error that leads to nothing. I don't have any 3rd party antivirus software either https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-virus-and-threat-protection/1a433900-e659-493f-9619-0bd17ece5a9d
  3. Windows Defender / Virus & Threat protection not opening

Windows Defender / Virus & Threat protection not opening: When I press to open Windows Defender or Virus and Threat Protection, nothing happens. No error message, they just don't open. I tried making a new user profile and they do work fine on that one....
  4. Can't find "virus and threat protection " option in windows defender.

Can't find "virus and threat protection " option in windows defender.: Whenever I open windows defender, I can't find any " virus and threat protection option. It seems like that option has just vanished into thin air. As a result, I have no control over windows defender antivirus. [ATTACH] Even when i search for it in the search bar it...
  5. Windows Defender Virus & Threat Protection

Windows Defender Virus & Threat Protection: Windows Defender does not run scans or allow me to update settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-virus-threat-protection/cada3eda-6c30-472b-a292-40efa4fb820e
  6. Can't use Windows Defender (Virus and threat protection)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't use Windows Defender (Virus and threat protection): Hey! First, I apologize for any orthographic or grammatical mistake, as my first language is spanish. For context, I had downloaded an antivirus recommended by CNET (I think), called Avira, but after a few weeks of use, I started to feel like my computer was slowing down, as...
  7. Windows defender. virus & threat protection. Windows 10

Windows defender. virus & threat protection. Windows 10: Virus & Threat Protection has this message: Threat service has stopped. Restart it now. Pressing the RESTART button nothing happened. How to reastart rhe treat service?...
  8. Windows Defender Virus and Threat Protection

Windows Defender Virus and Threat Protection: Ransom ware protection says "Setup One Drive" I enter my email and it says your one drive is already synced for that address. Yet Defender still says you need to set up Onedrive for ransomware protection. We have been issued with a ransomware threat from and unknown...
  9. can't able to open virus and threat protection in windows defender

can't able to open virus and threat protection in windows defender: now I am in trouble because I am able to open my windows defender virus & threat protection setting please give a my advise how can I open this setting in my pc?...
  10. Windows 10 Defender - Virus and Threat Protection Not Working

Windows 10 Defender - Virus and Threat Protection Not Working: Hello, I recently deleted some antivirus programs from my windows. Then I came to know that my windows 10 defender was not working properly. I have green tick on my VIRUS AND THREAT PROTECTION option which means it is working properly, but, I can't scan anything. When I click...