Windows 10: I can't transfer files from external Hard drive to SSD

Discus and support I can't transfer files from external Hard drive to SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys, So recently I built a new computer from scratch with the exception of the hard drive, which I carried over from my old computer. The new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Hyrotron, Feb 20, 2020.

1. I can't transfer files from external Hard drive to SSD

Hey guys,

So recently I built a new computer from scratch with the exception of the hard drive, which I carried over from my old computer. The new computer ran fine and everything was dandy. I then bought a new SSD which I also installed and I copied a bunch of files from an external hard drive that I use; this way it would save a usb slot and just more convenient all around. That worked fine and everything was dandy. However, a friend of mine told me that if I have Windows 10 running on my SSD rather than my Hard drive, then it would run much faster. So I said sure sounds good as long as I can keep all my other files (on my Hard Drive) and have everything basically run the same. So we install Windows 10 on my SSD (which I formatted and wiped clean) and when I booted it up, a bunch of files (on my Hard drive) were "hidden" and I couldn't locate them. They weren't deleted because shortly after I booted Windows 10 on my hard drive (like I used to before), all my files popped right back where they were. SO to avoid any further conflict I said forget it, I'll just stick to windows being on my hard drive. Then I attempted to re-copy all the files from my external hard drive to the SSD again, but now I'm getting this error message: "Error 0x800701E3: The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error." I've looked this error code up but I've found so many different solutions and situations that I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. I figured by giving some background context this will help anyone who might have an idea of how to fix.

submitted by /u/Hyrotron
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Hyrotron, Feb 20, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Feb 20, 2020
  3. saving and viewing files on an external hard drive

Hi Sam,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, you may format the external hard drive. Follow the below steps.

• Connect the external hard drive to Windows 10 computer.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to the keyboard to open the file explorer.

• Locate the external hard drive on left navigation pane in File explorer.

• Right click on the external hard drive and click on
      Format

• Click Start and follow on screen instructions to format the hard drive.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Feb 20, 2020
  4. I can't transfer files from external Hard drive to SSD

TRANSFERRING FILES FROM MAIN DRIVE TO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE . HOW?

TRANSFERRING FILES FROM MAIN DRIVE TO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE . HOW?

MY MAIN DRIVE HAS BECOME DANGEROUSLY NEAR CAPACITY. HOW CAN II TRANSFER TO MY EXTERNAL ACCOMDATA HARD DRIVE 1T.

Anaconda158, Feb 20, 2020
Thema:

I can't transfer files from external Hard drive to SSD

1. I can't transfer files from external Hard drive to SSD - Similar Threads - can't transfer files

2. external hard drive transfer files to pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive transfer files to pc: Can someone please refer me to an easy reference to transfer music files from an external hard drive to my laptop with windows 10when i plug in the external hard drive it shows as a device but that's it with some indistinguishable files. The files don't pen in Windows 10....
  3. external hard drive transfer files to pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive transfer files to pc: Can someone please refer me to an easy reference to transfer music files from an external hard drive to my laptop with windows 10when i plug in the external hard drive it shows as a device but that's it with some indistinguishable files. The files don't pen in Windows 10....
  4. Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.: Can someone tell me how to transfer data from hard drive to external SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-data-from-hard-drive-to-external-ssd/8d744dd6-1e4d-48a6-bcda-c241eec118bb
  5. Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.: Can someone tell me how to transfer data from hard drive to external SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-data-from-hard-drive-to-external-ssd/8d744dd6-1e4d-48a6-bcda-c241eec118bb
  6. Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive: I'm having a hard time finding which USB ports on my laptop and its dock are v3 or v2 (or less possibly), but when I tried two different ports (I think one is v3), they both seemed to transfer at about 150KBps... which seems slow even for USB v2. I'm copying files from an...
  8. Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive: Not sure if this is the right place, but dk where else to ask. I got a new external hard-drive and I'm trying to transfer the stuff from my old one, but having a very difficult time. I tried googling my problem and saw others with a similar problem, and apparently there's an...
  9. Unable to transfer files to and from external hard drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to transfer files to and from external hard drives: My HP laptop is unable to modify or transfer files from external hard drives. It says i need permission to access the folders so i changed the ownership and reset the permissions of the files and it still didn't work. I also tried formatting the hard drives but it didn't...
  10. Fast data transfer from SSD and External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fast data transfer from SSD and External Hard Drive: Hello, I appealed to the Microsoft community to ask for your opinion in order to give me information on how to quickly transfer data from computer SSD and external hard drive. I mention that I have the SSD on the computer and I have an external Hard Drive. Wait for response!...