Windows 10: I CAN'T TURN OFF DEFRAGMENTATION/OPTIMIZATION

Discus and support I CAN'T TURN OFF DEFRAGMENTATION/OPTIMIZATION in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've asked more than once. So far, I've made a registry change that was supposed to turn off Automatic Maintenance. Actually first, I turned off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JosephHW, Apr 5, 2020.

1. JosephHW Win User

I CAN'T TURN OFF DEFRAGMENTATION/OPTIMIZATION

I've asked more than once. So far, I've made a registry change that was supposed to turn off Automatic Maintenance. Actually first, I turned off automatic optimization in Optimize Drives it remains off. Even so, the C drive was defragmented twice, automatically. I asked Support for help, they checked all settings, then did a "clean boot" and told me "problem fixed, it won't happen again". Of course, the drive was just automatically defragmented, AGAIN!! This MUST be stopped. This is a relatively new desktop computer, with 2 very expensive 2TB SSD's in RAID 1 configuration mirrored. I have observed, and the RAID hardware mfr. has confirmed, Windows 10 cannot perform the proper TRIM function with this configuration. It only does defragmentation, which degrades SSD's, has no benefit, and must be stopped. Reading further, I came upon another input in this community, not sure if it addresses my problem, suggesting I must turn off Volume Snapshot Service VSS, and not use System Restore. Would that, with certainty, stop the spontaneous defragmentations? If so, I don't like it, I highly value having restore points. If I must do this, can I manually turn on VSS, create a restore point, then again turn off VSS? Is that a procedure that will solve the problem of unwanted defragmentation AND give me restore points? OR, is this wrong, is there some other reason for the unwanted defrags and a way to stop? HELP!!!

I had found this, from the Community:

Andre Da Costa

According to this post by Microsoft's Scott Hanselman, it should not do any harm:
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndComplet...

It likely is enabled because you have the Volume Shadow service enabled and or you are using System Restore.
    Best,
    Andre
    Windows Insider MVP
    MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
    twitter/adacosta
    groovypost.com

:)

JosephHW, Apr 5, 2020
  2. JosephHW Win User

Turn Off Drive Optimization/Defragmentation

I need to turn completely turn off drive optimization. In "Optimize Drive" I did turn off scheduled optimization. Even so, optimization/defragmentation WAS performed, anyway. I have assumed this is due to "Automatic Maintenance", and a search showed
    me how to make a registry change, stopping this function. I guess the problem is solved, except I'm not satisfied, as this also turns off some valuable, routine maintenance/update functions. Is there a way to permanently stop
    only the optimize/defragment process?

JosephHW, Apr 5, 2020
  3. JosephHW Win User
    Turn Off Drive Optimization/Defragmentation

You have been wonderfully helpful. Thank you! I, too, have been researching deeply into the matter. At least on my system, the Windows Defragment and Optimize falsely identifies my C drive as "HDD". At first, I did manually run the process and observed
    EXACTLY what I know through the years as defragmentation, not optimization, not TRIM. As I mentioned, the RAID manufacturer also confirmed Windows cannot optimize the array, they are keenly aware of this limitation, and they suggested the alternative of formatting,
    after a period of time. Take care!

JosephHW, Apr 5, 2020
  4. I CAN'T TURN OFF DEFRAGMENTATION/OPTIMIZATION

Disk optimization and defragmentation

Is disk optimization and defragmentation the same thing? And if not what is the difference?

KaylaStonewulf, Apr 5, 2020
Thema:

I CAN'T TURN OFF DEFRAGMENTATION/OPTIMIZATION

1. I CAN'T TURN OFF DEFRAGMENTATION/OPTIMIZATION - Similar Threads - CAN'T TURN OFF

2. Delivery Optimization will not turn off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delivery Optimization will not turn off: Hi, I've disabled Delivery Optimization from the settings but it wont turn off, the service is still taking up all of my internet 10mbps worth and making it unusable.Please help !...
  3. Delivery Optimization will not turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delivery Optimization will not turn off: Hi, I've disabled Delivery Optimization from the settings but it wont turn off, the service is still taking up all of my internet 10mbps worth and making it unusable.Please help !...
  4. Disabling SSD Scheduled optimization Defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disabling SSD Scheduled optimization Defragmentation: I've read that one of the hints to increase the SSD's lifespan and to prevent losing data is through: Optimize Drives / Scheduled optimization / Off Disable. Is that true? Can disabling the scheduled optimization frequency e.g. weekly prevent early damage of SSD? What...
  5. Turn Off Drive Defragmentation/Optimization, Windows 10 --- FOLLOW UP

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn Off Drive Defragmentation/Optimization, Windows 10 --- FOLLOW UP: I need to turn completely turn off drive defrag/optimization. In "Optimize Drive" I did turn off scheduled optimization. Even so, optimization/defragmentation WAS performed, anyway. I had assumed this is due to "Automatic Maintenance", and a search showed me how to make a...
  6. Turn Off Drive Optimization/Defragmentation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn Off Drive Optimization/Defragmentation: I need to turn completely turn off drive optimization. In "Optimize Drive" I did turn off scheduled optimization. Even so, optimization/defragmentation WAS performed, anyway. I have assumed this is due to "Automatic Maintenance", and a search showed me how to make a...
  7. Hard Drive Optimization/Defragmentation

Hard Drive Optimization/Defragmentation: Hello, all. I'm having an issue where I can't defragment/optimize my hard drive. I am able to successfully initiate the defragementation/optimization process from the built-in defragmenter program, but when it finishes I still see the "Needs Optimization" message, as if...
  8. Disk Optimization Turns Off...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Optimization Turns Off...: I usually have Disk Optimization (Defrag) set to run automatically on a daily basis as I have a couple of data backup drives that are getting rather full (around 60%). It appears that after every Auto Updated CU, the auto setting gets turned off and I have to go through...
  9. Cleaning, optimization, Defragmentation, performance of the laptop

Cleaning, optimization, Defragmentation, performance of the laptop: Hello, Dear madam/Sir, I ask you kindly to help me, and me to do a thorough cleaning, optimization, Defragmentation, the performance of the operating system of the laptop. Mention that stand between 1-2 minutes to open a page on Google and partitions in my document. Wait...
  10. Cleaning, optimization, Defragmentation, performance of the laptop

Cleaning, optimization, Defragmentation, performance of the laptop: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, kindly help me and me to do cleaning, optimization, defragmentation, system operating performance of the laptop. Mention that stand between 1-2 minutes to open a page on Google and partitions in My document. Wait for response! A great day!...