Windows 10: I can't turn on device discovery, it's grayed out

Discus and support I can't turn on device discovery, it's grayed out in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I want to add a second screen to my computer and wanted to turn on device discovery because windows couldn't find it. I've tried troubleshooters but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nebbish21, Dec 15, 2018.

1. nebbish21 Win User

I can't turn on device discovery, it's grayed out

I want to add a second screen to my computer and wanted to turn on device discovery because windows couldn't find it. I've tried troubleshooters but they don't work. Please help

Timothy

:)

nebbish21, Dec 15, 2018
  2. Yu Huang Win User

SSDP Discovery missing from Services.msc

Hi Expert,

Is there anyone could explain why the SSDP discovery service is missing from my WIN7 computer?

I am trying to turn on the network discovery, but it sees didn't work, then I following the Microsoft KB suggestions to start the below services:

• DNS Client
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host
    when I trying to start SSDP Discovery, I found the service is just missing from my computer, I got no idea about that.

I checked in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\Services\, no any key about the SSDP discovery service, then I export the KEY from one normal WIN7 PC, import to the one which got network discovery issue. But seems it's not working, I still cannot find the SSDP
    Discovery service in services.msc.

I have google so many troubleshooting, none of them worked for me. Please suggest,thanks!

Yu Huang, Dec 15, 2018
  3. Yu Huang Win User
    SSDP Discovery missing from Services.msc

Hi Expert,

Is there anyone could explain why the SSDP discovery service is missing from my WIN7 computer?

I am trying to turn on the network discovery, but it sees didn't work, then I following the Microsoft KB suggestions to start the below services:

• DNS Client
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host
    when I trying to start SSDP Discovery, I found the service is just missing from my computer, I got no idea about that.

I checked in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\Services\, no any key about the SSDP discovery service, then I export the KEY from one normal WIN7 PC, import to the one which got network discovery issue. But seems it's not working, I still cannot find the SSDP
    Discovery service in services.msc.

I have google so many troubleshooting, none of them worked for me. Please suggest,thanks!

Yu Huang, Dec 15, 2018
  4. phrab Win User

Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10

Thank you. Of the 4 things they mentioned, only Function Discovery Resource Publication was enabled. I enabled the last two, but the DNT Client is disabled & the dropdown box is greyed out. I'm not sure how to enable it.
    • DNS Client
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host

phrab, Dec 15, 2018
Thema:

1. I can't turn on device discovery, it's grayed out - Similar Threads - can't turn device

2. can't modify Function Discovery Provider Host to automatic. manual options is grayed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't modify Function Discovery Provider Host to automatic. manual options is grayed out: can't modify Function Discovery Provider Host to automatic. manual options is grayed out. can't make any changes to the start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-modify-function-discovery-provider-host-to/921d2724-1bbb-44c9-ae87-d3418baa526e
  3. I can't change "Advanced Sharing Options" When I change to "Turn on Network Discovery', it...

I can't change "Advanced Sharing Options" When I change to "Turn on Network Discovery', it...: I can't change "Advanced Sharing Options" When I change to "Turn on Network Discovery', it automatically reverts back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-change-advanced-sharing-options-when-i/c0afa5d4-a8b7-478f-ad3a-a92e9fc987f1
  4. File History Service is Grayed Out & Cannot Turn Back On

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Service is Grayed Out & Cannot Turn Back On: I have an issue with my laptop. 1) My File History Service is grayed out...Cannot turn back on. Here are my steps to attempt to turn on the File History Service. I typed services in the search box ---> then opened the service app ----> located File History Service --->...
  5. Location Services Grayed Out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Location Services Grayed Out: How do I turn on Location Services on my Windows 10 PC. I have tried many fixed from the Community but nothing has worked. Is there a real fix for this problem. Thank you. Richard...
  6. device manager showing grayed out wifi and wifi 2

device manager showing grayed out wifi and wifi 2: So a few weeks ago when I shut down my modem and turned it back on. I notice the connection is being odd a bit later and when i check i see this [ATTACH] and in settings it is showing WiFi 2 instead of WiFi. It has gotten to the point where it can barely connect to the...
  7. Network Discovery turning off

Network Discovery turning off: I am a Windows Admin and there is a user who is using a Dell 5530 Laptop running Win10 Pro 10.0.17763. She has access to domain network shared files. When she has the shared files open and the computer locks up, after a length of time and unlocks the computer, the files are...
  8. windows 10 developer mode Device Discovery pair grayed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 developer mode Device Discovery pair grayed out: I am trying to remote debug a uwp application from vs 2017. the target device is a tablet running windows 10 pro v1809 build:17763.379. In developer settings I have enabled device discovery, installed version 1803 of the windows 10 sdk or later and the "Pair" button is grayed...
  9. power icon missing. gray in settings. can't turn on. Help

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power icon missing. gray in settings. can't turn on. Help: I have asked cortana, windows help. U tube. Nothing is working to get the power icon back on the task bar. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-icon-missing-gray-in-settings-cant-turn-on/29507b08-fbaf-4c82-9746-e9894d8b0db1
  10. Rotation Lock Grayed Out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Rotation Lock Grayed Out: Hi all, I have a 2017 HP Spectre x360 with Windows 10 Home. Everything works great, except I can't rotation lock. WIN+O doesn't do anything. The display does rotate if I turn the device, but I want to be able to lock it. I can manaully change the option in Display...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. device discovery greyed out

2. why is device discovery grayed out

3. how to turn on device discovery

4. device discovery grayed,
  5. device discovery is greyed out,
  6. device discovery is grayed out,
  7. how to turn on device discovery in windows 10,
  8. why cant i turn device discovery on,
  9. why cant i put on device discovery with windows 10 1903,
  10. device discovery greyed,
  11. turn on network discovery options greyed out on windwos 1903,