Windows 10: I can't type into Windows 10 search bar or type within start menu

Discus and support I can't type into Windows 10 search bar or type within start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So randomly, I can no longer type into the windows 10 search and when I bring up the start menu I cannot type in it to search for apps. I've search and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cahn2126, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Cahn2126 Win User

I can't type into Windows 10 search bar or type within start menu

So randomly, I can no longer type into the windows 10 search and when I bring up the start menu I cannot type in it to search for apps. I've search and tried a few things but still no luck. I attempted to do a system restore to a previous point in safe mode, but I run into an error saying system restore did not complete successfully. System restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point. 0x800745b. I have used system restore in the past with no problems, so I don't understand why this is happening along with the start menu/search bar issues. Am I looking at have to reset this PC or fresh start?

:)

Cahn2126, Oct 23, 2019

2. Cannot type in Start Menu, Search Bar & WiFi Password

Hi

I cannot type in Windows Start Menu, Search Bar and even cannot type the WiFi Password. I tried the steps in the below link and it didn't work.

Can't type in Windows 10 search bar

Please help.

Thanks !!

Venkatesh Dhanaraj, Oct 23, 2019
  3. John Ado Win User
    John Ado, Oct 23, 2019
  4. birkhauer Win User

Windows 10 64bit, can't type in search bar / start menu, tried powershell fix but didn't help

Hello guys and search for a solution for this problem and its was the simple of things.

I don´t know why it works but try it and tell if it works for you guys too.

• Press Win + R (to open Run )
    • copy paste and press enter to run this program. "C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe". it brings back the language bar and for me it allowed me to type in windows search, start menu and WINDOWS 10 apps again
    I think it is due to missing Language bar or some think like that.

Best regards.

birkhauer, Oct 23, 2019
Thema:

1. I can't type into Windows 10 search bar or type within start menu - Similar Threads - can't type search

2. Can't type into Windows menu search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't type into Windows menu search bar: Clicking in the search bar does not register with the cursor symbol, and typing "P" for example does not insert P but selects Powerpoint. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-into-windows-menu-search-bar/5fe31a4d-409b-4abe-bcc0-27bdbe5d3a9e
  3. Can't type into Windows menu search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't type into Windows menu search bar: Clicking in the search bar does not register with the cursor symbol, and typing "P" for example does not insert P but selects Powerpoint. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-into-windows-menu-search-bar/5fe31a4d-409b-4abe-bcc0-27bdbe5d3a9e
  4. I can't type in the search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't type in the search bar: Basically, I can't type in the search bar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-type-in-the-search-bar/5e37c092-f005-4948-8dd3-8f9dd7a05465
  5. I can't type in the search bar

I can't type in the search bar: Basically, I can't type in the search bar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-type-in-the-search-bar/5e37c092-f005-4948-8dd3-8f9dd7a05465
  6. I can't type in the search bar

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Can't type in search bar

Can't type in search bar: If I click on the search bar in the task bar, it briefly highlights - the cursor appears as if to allow me to begin typing, then the cursor disappears and the box is no longer highlighted. I cannot type into it.This is also true in the search bar of Windows Explorer, thus I...
  8. Can't type in search bar

in Cortana
    Can't type in search bar: If I click on the search bar in the task bar, it briefly highlights - the cursor appears as if to allow me to begin typing, then the cursor disappears and the box is no longer highlighted. I cannot type into it.This is also true in the search bar of Windows Explorer, thus I...
  9. Can't type in start menu search bar?

in Cortana
    Can't type in start menu search bar?: Today i started facing this issue after i set my system's locale to japan so i could run some software.The language options on the bottom right of the bar disappeared and suddenly I wasn't able to type anything in the search box of the start menu. or the settings. I tried...
  10. I can't type on search bar

in Cortana
    I can't type on search bar: My search bar doesn't work. I cant write there anything When i turned on "Search and Indexing" troubleshooting, it shows "incorrect permissions on windows search directories" How to repair this?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant type in start menu or search window

2. cannot type into windows10 search bar

3. windows type here to search cannot type

4. windows 10 cant type into search bar