Windows 10: I cant use ssd on usb(i/o device error)

Discus and support I cant use ssd on usb(i/o device error) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I changed my laptop ssd with a bigger one and i want to use the old one as external. It works well when it is inside my computer, but i bought... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jotarok, Oct 12, 2019.

1. jotarok Win User

I cant use ssd on usb(i/o device error)

Hello,

I changed my laptop ssd with a bigger one and i want to use the old one as external. It works well when it is inside my computer, but i bought a SATA to usb cable and i cant get it to work as external.

The weird thing is the new ssd I have works well with this cable so I am pretty sure the cable isn't faulty.

So when I connect the (old) SSD to my laptop, it does not mount anywhere, but when i check for devices, both the cable and the SSD appear. But when i go to properties of the SSD I cant see the size or nothing, even though they got the model name right and all? Also i tried to initialize it through disk manager, but I am getting an I/O error... And I cant do any chkdsk or anything because it does not have a letter.

What can I do? Do you think the SSD is somewhat encrypted so I can't access it ?

my laptop is thinkpad T440 and SSD is toshiba thnsnj128gcsu

Thank you!

:)

jotarok, Oct 12, 2019

2. Can't update audio driver- Showing I/O device error

Hi Christa,

An I/O Device error can occur with different types of hardware devices or media, such as external hard drives, SD cards, SSD, USB flash drives or pen drives. For us to isolate the issue, we suggest that you run the hardware and devices troubleshooter by
    following these steps:

• Open the Settings app.
    • Type Troubleshooting on the search box.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View all.
    • Select Hardware and Devices.
    • Click on Next button and follow the on screen guide.
    • Restart your computer and check if the issue persists.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, Oct 12, 2019
  3. I/O Device Error on hpv236w 64gb USB

When I try to access my hpv236w 64gb USB, it gives me this error:'F:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.' I can't format it too. I tried many steps to fix this but they were useless.

How can I fix this?

This information maybe of some use:
    I am able to access and recover files on the drive when i turn on write-protect.

Any help is appreciated.

Fayaz Rahman, Oct 12, 2019
  4. I cant use ssd on usb(i/o device error)

Can't update audio driver- Showing I/O device error

Hello Janeane,

I had gone through those steps, but I went through them again and the result came to this:

Trouble shooting was unable to automatically fix all of the issues found. More details below:

Problems Found

Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus doesn't have a driver Not Fixed

And it says the Audio Bus thing twice over. This is the driver I am trying to install but I can't seem to find what driver is supposed to be downloaded for this problem. I have done trouble shooting and restarting over and over again but to no avail.

Thank you for your continued help.

ChristaHowley, Oct 12, 2019
Thema:

I cant use ssd on usb(i/o device error)

1. I cant use ssd on usb(i/o device error) - Similar Threads - cant ssd usb

2. Continual I/O Device Errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Continual I/O Device Errors: Two complaints - one about the product, the other about this forum.At first it was only the external DVD drive that was being randomly disconnected and reconnected.Now the same thing happens to any or all of the USBs plugged into my external hub. At the same time another...
  3. Continual I/O Device Errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Continual I/O Device Errors: Two complaints - one about the product, the other about this forum.At first it was only the external DVD drive that was being randomly disconnected and reconnected.Now the same thing happens to any or all of the USBs plugged into my external hub. At the same time another...
  4. Continual I/O Device Errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. i/o device error 0x8007045D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i/o device error 0x8007045D: My SD card is giving me this i/o error 0x8007045D and does not allow any files to copy, transfer or format https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/io-device-error-0x8007045d/de0aeb12-958a-42b1-8e2a-ae533a3ce986
  6. i/o device error 0x8007045D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i/o device error 0x8007045D: My SD card is giving me this i/o error 0x8007045D and does not allow any files to copy, transfer or format https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/io-device-error-0x8007045d/de0aeb12-958a-42b1-8e2a-ae533a3ce986
  7. i/o device error 0x8007045D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Help with I/O device error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with I/O device error: I'm trying to access a folder on one of my internal HDDs and am getting a 'location is not available' error stating "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." I know this means the drive is failing. It's been a bit dodgy for some time now....
  9. i/o device error

i/o device error: Since the latest Windows 10 update, I have had nothing but problems. My computer now only recognizes 1 of 3 external drives. If I unplug the one it recognizes, it shifts to a different drive. I get "I/O device error" on the other 2. It worked perfectly before the update....
  10. I / O device error HDD

I / O device error HDD: Good evening, This is my system: i7 2600k 1050Ti Samsung EVO 256GB Fatal1ty P67 Performance (Bios 1.3) BeQuiet E8 680W 16GB Ram W10 64 I bought a WD Red 8.0 TB (WD80EFAX). It shows up in the Bios with the correct size when i plug the hdd on any SATA Port on the mainboard....