Windows 10: i cant use the shutdown restart button any more since update

Discus and support i cant use the shutdown restart button any more since update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; shut down does not work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DeborahAdams2, Mar 13, 2021.

1. i cant use the shutdown restart button any more since update

shut down does not work

:)

DeborahAdams2, Mar 13, 2021
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Quick Tip: Easily Shutdown or Restart WITHOUT Installing Updates.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in the situation of needing to shutdown a computer quickly, but there are updates waiting to install. Previous to Windows 8 you could at least restart without being forced to install the updates, and if you are quick you could hit the power button when the computer begins to POST and the computer will turn off. With Windows 8, now even restarting forces you to install the updates. You could use the cmd and Shutdown.exe to shutdown the machine, but I'm getting old and try to avoid the command prompt as much as possible.

Anyway, the easy way I've found to Shutdown or Restart without being forced to install the updates is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and use the power button in the bottom right on the screen that comes up. For whatever reason, this power button is the only one I've found in Windows 7/8 that gives the option to Shutdown or Restart without installing the updates.

Thought I'd share.

newtekie1, Mar 13, 2021
  3. Shutdown restart switch has stopped working in Windows 10

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with this.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• What happens when you press Shutdown/restart (power) button?
    If notebook is in off condition, I suggest you to connect your notebook with power cable and allow it to charge and then try to press the power button and check if issue is solved.

If you’re notebook is in ON condition, I suggest you to set “Choose what the power button do” to Shutdown and check if it helps. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X key and click on
      Control Panel.
    • Under all Control Panel items select Power Option.
    • Click or tab on Choose what the Power button does
      in left panel
    • Select Shutdown under “When I press power button” and click on
      Save Changes.
    Check if this resolves the issue.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Mar 13, 2021
  4. Midnite8 Win User

i cant use the shutdown restart button any more since update

Cannot Shutdown or Restart W8.1

First update pack was successful and I can shutdown and restart normally.

Midnite8, Mar 13, 2021
Thema:

i cant use the shutdown restart button any more since update

1. i cant use the shutdown restart button any more since update - Similar Threads - cant shutdown restart

2. for some reason i cant hold any button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    for some reason i cant hold any button: i can type and press thing normally but when i hold a key they auto release it after 4-5 seconds and it also the same with mouse button, with exception of backspace key, i can still hold it fine, it happen after i update window, i test in a keyboard tester and it indicated...
  3. for some reason i cant hold any button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    for some reason i cant hold any button: i can type and press thing normally but when i hold a key they auto release it after 4-5 seconds and it also the same with mouse button, with exception of backspace key, i can still hold it fine, it happen after i update window, i test in a keyboard tester and it indicated...
  4. Update + Shutdown button actually Update + Restarts instead of doing what it's shown in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update + Shutdown button actually Update + Restarts instead of doing what it's shown in...: This is an absolutely non-sense in terms of UX, the main reason for UPDATE + SHUTDOWN is when I'm leaving the computer itself updating and starting to do something else in another place, when I've came back home, I've found my PC turned on asking for the password.I've seen...
  5. Update + Shutdown button actually Update + Restarts instead of doing what it's shown in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update + Shutdown button actually Update + Restarts instead of doing what it's shown in...: This is an absolutely non-sense in terms of UX, the main reason for UPDATE + SHUTDOWN is when I'm leaving the computer itself updating and starting to do something else in another place, when I've came back home, I've found my PC turned on asking for the password.I've seen...
  6. cant use any buttons can get online but if minimize black screen have to restart , if idont...

in Windows 10 Customization
    cant use any buttons can get online but if minimize black screen have to restart , if idont...: problem started, tried to defrag. when closed computer started a c drive repair. only thing i can get to is task manager. basically wants to go to black screen...
  7. cant use start button

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cant use start button: cant use start button https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-use-start-button/8be693c6-5926-46ed-8352-bc1546d7d7a6
  8. Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!: Either I missed an important update change, or I am going crazy. The idea of Windows Update shutting down, just to be greeted by the finishing update when turning the computer back on was annoying to say the least. I know there was talks about requesting the update and...
  9. Sign in screen is not there any more since I updated the BIOS.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sign in screen is not there any more since I updated the BIOS.: I have always had to sign in before using Win 10. Now all of the sudden I do not have to sign in. What caused the change? Is something wrong with my computer ?...
  10. Problems with the Restart and Shutdown Buttons

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with the Restart and Shutdown Buttons: Good morning everyone, I have an Hp running Win10 Pro. When I want to shutdown or restart, The buttons don't seem to work. I end up doing a "hard" shutdown. Has anyone experienced that and if you have, how do you fix it? Thank you in advance for any help I receive on this....