Windows 10: I can't view the files on my external hardrive because it says I have to format it first to...

Discus and support I can't view the files on my external hardrive because it says I have to format it first to... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone, the USB port on my external harddrive broke, so I bought a SATA adapter. Now, when I plug it in, it tells me that I have to format my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by coolman2341, Aug 12, 2020.

1. I can't view the files on my external hardrive because it says I have to format it first to...

Hello everyone, the USB port on my external harddrive broke, so I bought a SATA adapter. Now, when I plug it in, it tells me that I have to format my harddrive in order to use it. I can't do this obviously because all my important data is on there. I tried restarting my computer, using different USB ports, and even using a different computer. It still keeps saying that I need to format it in order to use it. I tried using Test Disk to restore the partition and it has not been working. I want to stay away from data recovery programs because sometimes they don't recover everything and it's also difficult to tell which file is which. What do I do?

I can't view the files on my external hardrive because it says I have to format it first to... 05785982-6e98-4cb7-bab6-f871a16ce8f0?upload=true.jpg

:)

coolman2341, Aug 12, 2020

2. Image viewing issue[external hardrive]

I recently formatted my external hardrive in order to fix an issue regarding a transfer speed issue from the pc to the device. The problem resolved itself but another issue remained: upon/after use of the hardrive loading other windows became a problem,
    file images, side bars not showing/opening. Prior to the formating the external it was impossible to scan and defragment. I haven't tried this yet for fear of somethingelse going wrong. I need to know if this problem can be stopped permanently.

Daniel Wittman, Aug 12, 2020
  3. Win10 external Hardrive.

Hello all techies need your help.

I have been using my External hardrive case with different memory card plug in the front of the external hardrive case.

It has been working for over five years fine and something happened that it wants to now format it. I know all the information is still on the Hardrive. However, how do I get my windows to recognize the Hardrive or hardrive to recognize windows? I don't
    want to lose all my data please.

Kind Regards from an American from the Balkan,

Drago Andjelic

Cloning Hardrive Question, Aug 12, 2020
  4. I can't view the files on my external hardrive because it says I have to format it first to...

saving and viewing files on an external hard drive

Hi Sam,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, you may format the external hard drive. Follow the below steps.

• Connect the external hard drive to Windows 10 computer.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to the keyboard to open the file explorer.

• Locate the external hard drive on left navigation pane in File explorer.

• Right click on the external hard drive and click on
      Format

• Click Start and follow on screen instructions to format the hard drive.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Aug 12, 2020
Thema:

I can't view the files on my external hardrive because it says I have to format it first to...

1. I can't view the files on my external hardrive because it says I have to format it first to... - Similar Threads - can't view files

2. I have installed windows install media on my USB without formatting it first because I...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have installed windows install media on my USB without formatting it first because I...: I have tried installing various recovery apps but none of them gives me back the size of the data that I want back and I cannot afford the subscriptions of these applications. Please recommend me what to do....
  3. I have installed windows install media on my USB without formatting it first because I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have installed windows install media on my USB without formatting it first because I...: I have tried installing various recovery apps but none of them gives me back the size of the data that I want back and I cannot afford the subscriptions of these applications. Please recommend me what to do....
  4. I have installed windows install media on my USB without formatting it first because I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I have a External Hardrive that connects, but will not show in my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a External Hardrive that connects, but will not show in my pc: I have followed guide after guide after guide and they all are a copy-paste of one another and they all tell me to reinstall drives for the USB and well that I have done, but the problem is still ongoing.I have connected the external hard drive onto EVERY SINGEL USB and...
  6. I have a External Hardrive that connects, but will not show in my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a External Hardrive that connects, but will not show in my pc: I have followed guide after guide after guide and they all are a copy-paste of one another and they all tell me to reinstall drives for the USB and well that I have done, but the problem is still ongoing.I have connected the external hard drive onto EVERY SINGEL USB and...
  7. I have a External Hardrive that connects, but will not show in my pc

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. External Hardrive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hardrive: How do i access my external HARDRIVE on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hardrive/216895a8-343c-4b49-93f2-d71f988de2a4
  9. i unplugged my external hardrive unsafe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i unplugged my external hardrive unsafe: will this ruin my whole pc or make it slow ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-unplugged-my-external-hardrive-unsafe/113316f4-b392-4a1d-ac83-7e4cfb48da17
  10. i can't access some folders on my external drive. it says i don't permission to view this...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i can't access some folders on my external drive. it says i don't permission to view this...: Hi All, i can't access to some folders on my external drive. it says i don't permission to view this folder. Can someone please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-access-some-folders-on-my-external-drive-it/bce5f988-f65b-4a80-af07-d0cbfa95e3be"