Windows 10: I can't work out what I have done ?

Discus and support I can't work out what I have done ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was on this forum just a short while ago about not having Admin rights to alter the Hosts file. It was a very small thing that needed doing with no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FredM8, Nov 14, 2015.

1. FredM8 Win User

I can't work out what I have done ?

I was on this forum just a short while ago about not having Admin rights to alter the Hosts file. It was a very small thing that needed doing with no complications of any kind.

But just after I had done my stuff in that area I found that I was unable to open MyComputer and some folders on my desktop. Email/Outlook is working OK and I can open programmes pinned to the task bar and navigate to and open the folders on my desktop, that wont open by clicking anymore.

I have no idea what I have done.
    Can anyone help with this ?

:)

FredM8, Nov 14, 2015

2. What have I done

Not really, I think the problem comes from a sense of adventure and lack of information, my sense of adventure wants to know how everything works and the lack information from phone manufacturers and software producers about their products is lamentable.

Before getting my current phone Samsung Ativ S I went through hundreds of web pages to find out what each smartphone does and how well, in addition I looked at cost and terms of contracts. Problem is that now I have the phone when I look up how to do something
    or why something has happened the information is very scant or non-existent. This costs time and money two commodities in short supply for everyone nowadays.

How about starting a campaign to get businesses to provide the comprehensive information one needs to use their products in idiot format so even Luddites like me can use it? They could start with mobile phones.

cr421h0r5e, Nov 14, 2015
  3. Flowers02 Win User
    What have I done ?

Just switched the phone off and back on again and it's fine now!

Flowers02, Nov 14, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Are getting an error? What is it?

5. FredM8 Win User
    No error message of any kind. My screen just blinks black for a second and that's it.

FredM8, Nov 14, 2015
  6. TrustMe Win User
    Give System Restore a try.

TrustMe, Nov 14, 2015
  7. FredM8 Win User
    Too early for something so drastic as last night I only just downloaded about 3GB of update.
    Whatever the problem is it appears to be effecting short cuts and folders related to Windows.
    I can open pdf, txt, mp4, etc. But the recycle bin, computer, network etc will not open, but I can use the Control panel icon to get to Control panel

FredM8, Nov 14, 2015
  8. FredM8 Win User

Had to go for the system restore. Not the big deal I thought it would be but I am still curious as to what was going on.

FredM8, Nov 14, 2015
  9. YOU
    You Win User
    Maybe the file associations got messed up.
    Shortcuts are .ink. I'm not sure about the system icons (Recycle bin, This PC, My Documents, etc.).

10. FredM8 Win User
    It's a mystery.
    It is OK after the restore and I have just saved a disc image in case it comes back.

FredM8, Nov 14, 2015
  11. pbcopter Win User
    The best way to edit the Hosts file is to open Notepad as administrator. Right click the Notepad Icon, select more, then select Run as administrator.
    Then open Hosts from within Notepad.

pbcopter, Nov 14, 2015
  12. linw Win User
    Strange.

I certainly have had "funnies" repaired with a System Restore as well.

But an upgrade switches this off so always remember to set it back on afterwards.

Thema:

1. I can't work out what I have done ? - Similar Threads - can't done

2. Can't activate Windows no matter how much I've done.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate Windows no matter how much I've done.: Error code is 0x8007232B. I've asked this question in January and still have yet to get a solution. I've already done the troubleshooting via Settings > System > Activation. As explained in my previous post:I tried to troubleshoot it, but it didn't work despite having Wi-Fi....
  3. Can't activate Windows no matter how much I've done.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't activate Windows no matter how much I've done.: Error code is 0x8007232B. I've asked this question in January and still have yet to get a solution. I've already done the troubleshooting via Settings > System > Activation. As explained in my previous post:I tried to troubleshoot it, but it didn't work despite having Wi-Fi....
  4. I have done everything, but I can't type to enter my Microsoft account password.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have done everything, but I can't type to enter my Microsoft account password.: I have done everything, but I can't type to enter my Microsoft account password. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-done-everything-but-i-cant-type-to-enter-my/de050f9b-e76f-4d88-9167-fd3064a668d9
  5. I have done everything, but I can't type to enter my Microsoft account password.

I have done everything, but I can't type to enter my Microsoft account password.: I have done everything, but I can't type to enter my Microsoft account password. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-done-everything-but-i-cant-type-to-enter-my/de050f9b-e76f-4d88-9167-fd3064a668d9
  6. I have done everything, but I can't type to enter my Microsoft account password.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. I can't find Virus and Threat Protection [*I've done all suggested fixes]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't find Virus and Threat Protection [*I've done all suggested fixes]: What I've done:-Edited Group Policy Editor where I put the Hide the virus and threat protection area to 'disabled'.-Edited Regedit where I added UILockdown and set it to 0.I need help as soon as possible and I can't even get a support agent from Microsoft because it says I'm...
  8. I can't find Virus and Threat Protection [*I've done all suggested fixes]

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I can't find Virus and Threat Protection [*I've done all suggested fixes]: What I've done:-Edited Group Policy Editor where I put the Hide the virus and threat protection area to 'disabled'.-Edited Regedit where I added UILockdown and set it to 0.I need help as soon as possible and I can't even get a support agent from Microsoft because it says I'm...
  9. I can't find Virus and Threat Protection [*I've done all suggested fixes]

10. What can be done please, all the files in my external hardware can't be seen but the files...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What can be done please, all the files in my external hardware can't be seen but the files...: What can be done please? All the files in my external hardware can't be seen but the files still exist how I got to know it still exist is I saw that the space used is equivalent to the same space when I could see my files physically.Please help me in the best way you can....