Windows 10: I changed account from Admin to User, now scheduled task does not run

Discus and support I changed account from Admin to User, now scheduled task does not run in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [Corrected description of the problem] In the past i always used an Admin account without problems. Now i changed this User to a non-admin account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jjensson, Feb 7, 2017.

1. jjensson Win User

I changed account from Admin to User, now scheduled task does not run

[Corrected description of the problem]

In the past i always used an Admin account without problems. Now i changed this User to a non-admin account and the scheduled task that was previously always running at log-in does not work anymore.

I have no clue why. The task history says disabled (why?). Even when i create a new task in another admin account, it does not run in my user account.

Please help!

:)

jjensson, Feb 7, 2017
  2. Tryx3 Win User

where user account for running the tasks are stored? How to delete and edit them?

John,

Task scheduler records both the computer name & user name in its Author
    field, hence me-pc/me, but only the username me in the field for
    When running the task, use the following user account. That is its normal behaviour and not a sign of any fault.

When intending to alter the user name for a task, always open Task scheduler as Admin or it will object to any change.

[Right-click on the shortcut to Task scheduler & select Run as Admin.]

You can delete user accounts in Settings, Accounts, family & other users. If the user account entries in the dropdown list have already been deleted then that is a caching issue & I suggest you post another question called something like
    Task scheduler user account list includes user accounts that have already been deleted from the computer. In your question text, include the dropdown list picture to avoid any misunderstandings.

Denis

Tryx3, Feb 7, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Task Scheduler not finding Admin

I've got 2 users on one machine. One "Standard" user and one "Administrator". They both log in fine. The Admin user has a password assigned, the Standard user does not. I am trying to run a program that requires elevated access on logon of the Standard
    user. So while logged into the Standard user account, I open Task Scheduler and set all the specifics, including the "Run with highest privileges" checkbox. Then I click OK, select the Admin user to run as, and enter the password. Task Scheduler always says
    that either the user is unknown (how it could be unknown, I don't know since I selected it from the dropdown) or the password is incorrect, which it definitely is not. Can anyone else confirm that this does or does not work on their machine? Is there a workaround?
    Maybe a different 3rd party task scheduler that is verified to work in this case?

Bryan Mohr, Feb 7, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

What are the tasks it would seem they require admin rights to run could they be run at start not as schedule tasks

Samuria, Feb 7, 2017
  5. jjensson Win User
    The task is simple. Run silently a driver install EXE at log-on. I'm solving a problem where the driver is not seen after restart, so i have to always run the installer every time i reboot. But it has to run delayed, for example 30sec after logon.

jjensson, Feb 7, 2017
  6. jjensson Win User
    Pls read the updated description. Thanks!

jjensson, Feb 8, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    I think you're going to have to activate the built-in admin account in order to elevate your standard acct back to admin-level; I have Windows 7, so I might be incorrect. There might be a DOS/command-line, however, I do not know what it is.

RolandJS, Feb 8, 2017
  8. jjensson Win User

I apologize, i've been on the wrong track. The error message was because i tried to run the task even without log-on. I've corrected the original post - i hope it's clearer now and that someone has an idea what could be wrong.

jjensson, Feb 9, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    History is turned off by default. To turn it on open Task Scheduler, go to the "Action" tab at the top and click on "Enable All Tasks History".

Then you can reboot and see why it is failing.

You can't run tasks requiring Administrative rights under a standard account so that may be it.

lx07, Feb 9, 2017
  10. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Feb 9, 2017
  11. jjensson Win User
    Now we're talking. I didn't know that. Thanks for this vital information. The task indeed needs admin rights, i tested it manually.

Hmm, it's a Wacom driver 64bit for Windows 7. Do you think it is unsigned? Anyway, i'm not gonna compromise my security with disabling the driver signatures. Not worth it. I guess for the time being i'll start the EXE manually every time i need the digitizer - not ideal, but still better than paying for new hardware.

Thanks for the help, guys - at least we tried. *Smile

jjensson, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I changed account from Admin to User, now scheduled task does not run - Similar Threads - changed account Admin

2. I mistakenly changed the admin account to normal account. Now any task is try with user id...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I mistakenly changed the admin account to normal account. Now any task is try with user id...: I mistakenly changed the admin account to normal account. Now any task is try with user id and password. But no way to enter them is shown on the screen. I am unable to use Microsoft Office applications please help....
  3. I mistakenly changed the admin account to normal account. Now any task is try with user id...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I mistakenly changed the admin account to normal account. Now any task is try with user id...: I mistakenly changed the admin account to normal account. Now any task is try with user id and password. But no way to enter them is shown on the screen. I am unable to use Microsoft Office applications please help....
  4. I mistakenly changed the admin account to normal account. Now any task is try with user id...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Task Scheduler - How to to grant non-admin users the permission to view and run a scheduled...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler - How to to grant non-admin users the permission to view and run a scheduled...: We use role based access and currently have local groups for all users and admins on a Windows 2016 Server.The role membership includes AD groups where AD members are added.The QA team members are non-administrators and access the QA server using RDP.Our QA team members need...
  6. Task Scheduler - How to to grant non-admin users the permission to view and run a scheduled...

Task Scheduler - How to to grant non-admin users the permission to view and run a scheduled...: We use role based access and currently have local groups for all users and admins on a Windows 2016 Server.The role membership includes AD groups where AD members are added.The QA team members are non-administrators and access the QA server using RDP.Our QA team members need...
  7. Task scheduler asking users for admin credentials

Task scheduler asking users for admin credentials: I'm a system administrator and have an application .exe that I need to run when a standard user logs in, but with elevation. I have tried doing this with both Powershell and the Windows Task Scheduler using tips I've found online, however when I log in as a standard user I...
  8. Task scheduler asking users for admin credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task scheduler asking users for admin credentials: I'm a system administrator and have an application .exe that I need to run when a standard user logs in, but with elevation. I have tried doing this with both Powershell and the Windows Task Scheduler using tips I've found online, however when I log in as a standard user I...
  9. Task scheduled in Task Scheduler won't run from shortcut

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task scheduled in Task Scheduler won't run from shortcut: I have a task set up in Task Scheduler on Win 10 Pro 64-bit and it runs correctly when run from Task Scheduler. I cannot get the task to run from a shortcut. I do not know whether this is relevant, but in the Settings window of Task Scheduler it shows the checkbox next to...
  10. Unable to schedule tasks in Task scheduler with option run the task whether the user is...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to schedule tasks in Task scheduler with option run the task whether the user is...: I am able to schedule tasks with the first option that is - run when the user is logged on. But when I try with the other option - run whether the user is logged on or not, it doesn't work....