Windows 10: I changed from Legacy BIOS to UEFI to boot from a USB and I have the "Reboot and Select...

Discus and support I changed from Legacy BIOS to UEFI to boot from a USB and I have the "Reboot and Select... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Long story short, my computer won't boot anymore, I've got the infamous "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message after I changed from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by amerour, Mar 11, 2019.

1. amerour Win User

I changed from Legacy BIOS to UEFI to boot from a USB and I have the "Reboot and Select...

Hi,

Long story short, my computer won't boot anymore, I've got the infamous "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message after I changed from Legacy Bios to UEFI.

The long story is that I bought a new SSD drive, I wanted to run my OS from the new drive (as opposed to the old Hard Drive) and one problem leading to another I needed to clean up the SSD to do another attempt at a clean clone, but to do that the Samsung Magician software needed to reboot from a USB drive.

On my version of Windows I didn't have the option to boot from USB, I looked up on the internet and found that it's because my drive was setup in Legacy Bios and it needed to be changed to UEFI.

Once I did that, it did boot from the USB and I did reset my SSD, but now it won't boot from my regular hard drive anymore.

I no longer have the original CD/DVD for the installation of Windows 10 (I think I updated directly from Windows 7 or 8 a few years ago).

Anyway, I would love some help here to be able to just restart where I was before the mess started.

Thanks for the help!

:)

amerour, Mar 11, 2019
  2. Ramuettan Win User

Return to Legacy from UEFI - BIOS

Hi There

A while ago I was helped here to change from Legacy to UEFI. However, since then it seems, the Laptop (Latutide E6420) is running a bit slowly which was otherwise very quick until then. Now, it takes nearly a minute or so to boot up or shut down or even
    to close a file. Just a couple of days ago, I updated the latest BIOS for this machine recommended by Dell.

I tried to go back to Legacy but the system was asking me to reset to UEFI or face boot problems. One advise said that I could disable 'Secure Boot' in Boot Manager and reset to Legacy. However, the Boot Manager is listed under UEFI Boot process and it only
    starts Windows. Is there any way as easy as I changed it? This is absolutely under the hope that all will be as normal as it was in the beginning. Please give your thoughts and advice. Thanks.

Ramuettan, Mar 11, 2019
  3. Support Had Me Change From UEFI to Legacy mode in BIOS Re: DISASTER

This was Acronis True Image 2018 support not MS or Lenovo (P51). Those familiar with True Image know that you can create bootable media on a flash drive to run the software. No problem with True Image 2017 but True Image 2018 did not work. Although the flash drive loaded the program the GUI was garbled and I was unable to navigate. Support had me switch from UEFI back to Legacy and that was a bad idea. Sorry for the caps but this was what I wrote back to Acronis support. FYI the rest of the message was not in caps:

SUPPORT: I have discussed this issue with the Experts team and they have suggested testing whether changing from UEFI to Legacy mode in BIOS fixes the issue or not. This step is suggested for testing purpose only.
    THAT WAS A TERRIBLE SUGGESTION. I WENT INTO THE BIOS AND DID AS YOU INSTRUCTED AND CHANGED FROM UEFI TO LEGACY. I CLICKED EXIT AND SAVE AND WITH THE FLASH DRIVE PLUGGED IN THE 2018 BOOTABLE MEDIA I WENT TO BOOT MENU OPTIONS AND CHOOSE BOOT FROM FLASH DRIVE AND I WAS DROPPED BACK INTO THE BOOT MENU OPTION. SEE ENCLOSED PICTURE. I THEN SELECTED BOOT FROM THE SSD DRIVE AND I WAS AGAIN STUCK IN A LOOP THAT DROPPED ME BACK INTO THE BOOT MENU OPTION. I THEN TRIED BOOTING FROM THE SECOND INTERNAL HDD OPTION AND AGAIN WAS DROPPED BACK INTO THE BOOT MENU. I COULD NOT GET BACK INTO THE BIOS TO CHANGE BACK TO UEFI FROM LEGACY. I HAD TO DO A HARD SHUTDOWN AND POWER BACK ON AND ONLY THEN WAS I ABLE TO GET INTO THE BIOS AND CHANGE BACK FROM LEGACY TO UEFI.

This is a pic of the loop I was caught up in. Why do you all think I was not able to boot either from the flash drive or the SSD or the HDD once I changed from UEFI to Legacy in the BIOS? TIA.

I changed from Legacy BIOS to UEFI to boot from a USB and I have the "Reboot and Select... [​IMG]

phaedruspress, Mar 11, 2019
  4. dac81048 Win User

I changed from Legacy BIOS to UEFI to boot from a USB and I have the "Reboot and Select...

Problem Regarding Bios Change from UEFI to Legacy

I have hp pavilion p045tx with windows 10 pro. I recently install Ubuntu with windows 10 so for that I convert my bios setting from UEFI to Legacy mode for install third party software like wireless Driver and all in Ubuntu.
    But after every restart the bios setting change to default and that is to UEFI mode and that will cause an problem of no OS detect. Every time I have to go to bios setting and enable the legacy mode to start my OS. Can anyone suggest me what to do in this
    case.

dac81048, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

1. I changed from Legacy BIOS to UEFI to boot from a USB and I have the "Reboot and Select... - Similar Threads - changed Legacy BIOS

2. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.: UEFI is selected in my bios but when I boot my computer it says I am still in UEFI, even after I rebooted my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-switch-from-uefi-bios-boot-to-legacy/b4d4c3f9-436a-4881-836d-58f2165dffc4
  3. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.: UEFI is selected in my bios but when I boot my computer it says I am still in UEFI, even after I rebooted my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-switch-from-uefi-bios-boot-to-legacy/b4d4c3f9-436a-4881-836d-58f2165dffc4
  4. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  6. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  7. Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS: Hello,First time posting here. I want to change from LEGACY to UEFI, I'm thinking:Will the computer be able to boot?I use it regularly, and I hope it works after this changover!I am not a computer geek. But I do know how to get into BIOS.Thanks...
  8. Changing From UEFI To Legacy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Changing From UEFI To Legacy: Hi Chaps, Anyone know how to change from UEFI To Legacy On My PC? (Check My PC) Thanks, - - - Updated - - - [QUOTE=;2103864]Hi Chaps, Anyone know how to change from UEFI To Legacy On My PC? (Check My PC)(First One) Thanks, 170159
  9. Have a Real Problem With Changing the BOOT from Legacy to UEFI

Have a Real Problem With Changing the BOOT from Legacy to UEFI: Hi I'd appreciate some help with changing how my machine boots. Soon I hope to install Windows 10 Pro onto a new hard drive. The existing HD with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (that I still need for a good 9 months yet) will be used via external USB adaptor. The new...
  10. Need help in changing BIOS settings from legacy boot to UEFI boot.

Need help in changing BIOS settings from legacy boot to UEFI boot.: After running MBR2GPT on my system with a successful completion, I realized that I don't know how to change the BIOS from legacy to UEFI, resulting in the inability to boot the GPT'ed system. I was running Windows 10 Creator on an MBR system using an MSI H61M-E23 (version 2)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. long boot after changing to uefi