Windows 10: I changed my local username account path in Regedit and after that I restarted Windows and...

Discus and support I changed my local username account path in Regedit and after that I restarted Windows and... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was trying to change my current username by following some article on the web... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mrjhin, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Mrjhin Win User

I changed my local username account path in Regedit and after that I restarted Windows and...

I was trying to change my current username by following some article on the web https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-change-name-user-profile-folder-windows-10-a.html from the registry. and the configuration I did was

regeidt.exe > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS NT >CURRENT VERSION >PROFILE LIST and then I tried to restart the windows because I didn't see any changes so I reboot the system hopping it will do the job.

after that I lost everything!! over than 700 GB of personal data and work.

1- So I tried to do recovery restore. non of my 4 snapshots did the job!

2- I changed the name again in the registry to what was before but didn't work

note: the file for old user account still there in C:>users> here , but it's empty!

my question: did windows delete all my data on the user account folder? or he just can't read it or see it? is there any thing to do? and what is the temp.desktop.001 user account that windows made it for me?

Please help this is sad.

also sorry for my pool English, it's not my language.

:)

Mrjhin, Aug 6, 2020
  2. Jhon242 Win User

I lost all my files after changing Username Account by entering REGEDIT EDITOR files

I bought my computer on amazon on a friends account. When I received my laptop I change my account name but still on the hard drive appear my friends name (I supposed it is because I bought the laptop from her amazon account), soo I saw some videos on youtube
    about "how to change username account" and I change it by entering into REGEDIT EDITOR files the sequence was REGEDIT--->HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE--->SOFTWARE--->MICROSOFT---> WINDOWS NT--->CURRENT VERSION--->PROFILE LIST. After getting there I right-clicked on
    ProfileImagePath and selected MODIFY and change the account name, then I restarted my computer and all the files where gone.

Please I need help all my files from my university are there. Do you know how to change everything as it was before?

Jhon242, Aug 6, 2020
  3. How to change the username and username folder in windows 10

I followed the same steps, step by step. what I found is no change in the folder name it is same like before and you know what after edit the regedit (username change from nooru to noor) it made a lot of problems [after switch to local account and then
    came to Microsoft account method] whenever I was turning on the pc mean log in [after entering password or pin] it every time takes time and then says preparing windows and clear every windows setting ' so then I again change the regedit settings to default(like
    it was before:nooru) so now windows is fine /but no change of folder name I changed my local username account path in Regedit and after that I restarted Windows and... :(

Noor ul Hadi, Aug 6, 2020
  4. I changed my local username account path in Regedit and after that I restarted Windows and...

How do I change the Windows 10 username associated with my Microsoft Account

When I add my Microsoft account to a new PC running Windows 10, it creates a folder in the C:\Users\ path. This folder has a nickname I used to go by and not my real name. When I first created my Microsoft account decades ago I used the nickname as my name
    when I created the account. I want to change the name that Windows 10 uses to create the local account username.

• This username is NOT my Microsoft Account display name
    • This username is NOT my Xbox gamer tag
    • This username is NOT my e-mail address
    • This username is NOT a local account
    • This username IS associated with my Microsoft account
    What's funny is that when Windows 8 came out and I first discovered that my Windows username would be based off of my Microsoft account, I updated my Microsoft account to use my real name and for Windows 8 and 8.1 this worked and Windows would use my First
    Name when creating the local user account associated with my Microsoft Account. When I installed Windows 10 the first time, this behavior was broken and Windows 10 used, and still uses, my old nickname.

Just to help clarify, THIS is the username I want to change and this is for a MICROSOFT ACCOUNT.

I changed my local username account path in Regedit and after that I restarted Windows and... 5cd93242-659a-47d7-b8a6-f4d0a3c403dc?upload=true.png

Red Sun Setting, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

I changed my local username account path in Regedit and after that I restarted Windows and...

1. I changed my local username account path in Regedit and after that I restarted Windows and... - Similar Threads - changed local username

2. I changed the username on my PC with Regedit and stuff and now desktop broke

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I changed the username on my PC with Regedit and stuff and now desktop broke: Hello, so I wanted to change my account name because it was my full legal name, I dont want that on the internetI made a new local user and changed the name of it and now it pops up an error saying "C:/Users/myoldusername/Desktop was not found" then a bunch of useless junk,...
  3. I changed the username on my PC with Regedit and stuff and now desktop broke

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed the username on my PC with Regedit and stuff and now desktop broke: Hello, so I wanted to change my account name because it was my full legal name, I dont want that on the internetI made a new local user and changed the name of it and now it pops up an error saying "C:/Users/myoldusername/Desktop was not found" then a bunch of useless junk,...
  4. I changed the username on my PC with Regedit and stuff and now desktop broke

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to I change the Windows username that is assigned to my account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to I change the Windows username that is assigned to my account?: So some years ago I was installing Windows 10 on to a laptop. During installation I logged in with my Microsoft account. Then it asked for my username for the device, this is the name that shows up in C:/Users/. I typed it in wrong but had not submitted it, was about to...
  6. How to I change the Windows username that is assigned to my account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to I change the Windows username that is assigned to my account?: So some years ago I was installing Windows 10 on to a laptop. During installation I logged in with my Microsoft account. Then it asked for my username for the device, this is the name that shows up in C:/Users/. I typed it in wrong but had not submitted it, was about to...
  7. Chaning local username not a local account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chaning local username not a local account: I do not know how to change my local username on Windows 10. I tried control panel and that's about it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chaning-local-username-not-a-local-account/acd5bc50-a857-405a-90b2-37c2ae293185
  8. Changing local account username in Windows 10

Changing local account username in Windows 10: Hi All, I would like to change my local windows account in windows 10 home. but strangely I do not see any option. Dont think it is an advance setting for it to be so hard to find. I am only seeing "sign in to microsoft account" under Account settings. Please let me...
  9. Changing the Windows 10 truncated local account username

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing the Windows 10 truncated local account username: This has been discussed before, however, for some strange reason it was closed before a solution was posted. After the Windows 7 May security update, my system bit the dust. So, I purchase a copy of Windows 10, USB version from Amazon. ISSUE: Windows 10, version 1809...
  10. change local account username associated with a microsoft account?

change local account username associated with a microsoft account?: My first name is "Mathew". On all my windows 10 devices, I prefer to login using my microsoft account. (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***) On all of these devices, the default local user name is always "mathe", missing the "w". My home directory is...