Windows 10: I changed my primary user to device owner and i cant get back into it

Discus and support I changed my primary user to device owner and i cant get back into it in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I changed my primary user to device owner now every time i try to do use something that requires admin right it only gives me the option of saying no.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lachlananderson2, Mar 17, 2021.

1. I changed my primary user to device owner and i cant get back into it

I changed my primary user to device owner now every time i try to do use something that requires admin right it only gives me the option of saying no.

I have another account but its not a admin. the built in administrator has a password as well or its just a account that i cant see, anyways i need to get back into my main user account to install visual studio as i need for job on my laptop. i also don't have a windows installation on a usb its on a disk which i cant use on my laptop - lachy

:)

lachlananderson2, Mar 17, 2021

2. Change primary alias

Hello,

Thank you for your reply,

As per description, when you click to change the primary on nothing happens.

Have you tried to perform the troubleshooting steps provided under section
    Change which alias is primary
    ?

If you have not performed the troubleshooting steps I would suggest you perform steps under
    Change which alias is primary , from my previous post. Which are as follow.

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset
    parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows.

Ashish Sondhi, Mar 17, 2021
  3. Unknown User as Owner

Hi Bree, thanks for stepping up to address this issue.
    As far as I know my External Drive has only been used on my PC.

I could try to implement your suggestion and take Ownership of those Folders.
    The "Take Ownership" link is present in my right click menu, but I'm currently logged in with my Microsoft account, so perhaps it would be better if I went Properties --> Security --> Advanced & set the Owner to Administrators, no?!

Although my mind is bugged with a new question now.
    If I change the Owner & later on I have to restore a backup (Acronis on a CD) won't I encounter problems then?

witten1972, Mar 17, 2021
  4. flasny80 Win User

I changed my primary user to device owner and i cant get back into it

Change Name of User Profile Folder Tutorial-- Edited Name Won't Save.

Thank you both. I was able to change the permissions and edit as in Step 8, proceeded through Steps 9 and 10 and got stuck again on Step 11, Couldn't rename "Owner" because of an error message that the file was open. I was logged in under the temporary administrator and signed out of my primary user at the time. Of course, because the two locations now didn't match, when I tried to sign in under the primary user again, I couldn't , so I went back and reversed Step 8 for now. Please assist. Thank you.

flasny80, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

I changed my primary user to device owner and i cant get back into it

1. I changed my primary user to device owner and i cant get back into it - Similar Threads - changed primary user

2. I changed my only user to device owner and now I can’t use it or get all my information...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed my only user to device owner and now I can’t use it or get all my information...: i don’t have backup but if I try to use the email I had on my pc it says it’s being use, I think I can get back my user and my info https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-changed-my-only-user-to-device-owner-and-now-i/dc768e89-326e-495d-8fb8-d7599e90f296
  3. I changed my only user to device owner and now I can’t use it or get all my information...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I changed my only user to device owner and now I can’t use it or get all my information...: i don’t have backup but if I try to use the email I had on my pc it says it’s being use, I think I can get back my user and my info https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-changed-my-only-user-to-device-owner-and-now-i/dc768e89-326e-495d-8fb8-d7599e90f296
  4. Cant change pc owner

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cant change pc owner: My kid signed into my laptop yesterday with his ms account. Somehow its taken over as the owner of the pc and I cannot change it back. I was not using a ms account on the pc before, just a pin to get in. When I go into the usual account settings, there are no options to...
  5. Cant change pc owner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant change pc owner: My kid signed into my laptop yesterday with his ms account. Somehow its taken over as the owner of the pc and I cannot change it back. I was not using a ms account on the pc before, just a pin to get in. When I go into the usual account settings, there are no options to...
  6. Cant change pc owner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to get back Administrator if your account is on device owners

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to get back Administrator if your account is on device owners: How to get back Administrator if your account is on device owners https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-back-administrator-if-your-account-is/cec69558-03b7-41ed-9193-777b13586769
  8. Changing primary user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing primary user: I want to delete my current Microsoft account (privacy issues) but it is currently being used as the primary user on my desktop. How do I go about removing this account and adding a new one while not losing any of my settings/data? submitted by /u/freshiii_ [link]...
  9. how do i get my primary account back that i removed in error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how do i get my primary account back that i removed in error: i removed my primary account in error. now I cant get it back. wont let me enter it again. all I have is my alias https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-my-primary-account-back-that-i/c46b669a-e60f-4e89-948c-bfe878480656
  10. I cant get my bluetooth back on?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I cant get my bluetooth back on?: https://ibb.co/QjkvfNv At christmas I got some bluetooth headphones. A few days ago I managed to connect them to the PC. I then did something that I cant remember to turn off and unpair it so I could go back to my speakers --- now I seem to be completely unable to use the...