Windows 10: I changed my TEMP and TMP folder location from drive C to drive D, and my files slowly gone...

Discus and support I changed my TEMP and TMP folder location from drive C to drive D, and my files slowly gone... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I'm not really an expert in computer so I really need someone to enlighten me. I have a 120gb SSD as my main drive drive C, and I used a lot of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by iambamms, Aug 17, 2021.

1. iambamms Win User

I changed my TEMP and TMP folder location from drive C to drive D, and my files slowly gone...

Hello, I'm not really an expert in computer so I really need someone to enlighten me. I have a 120gb SSD as my main drive drive C, and I used a lot of high / intense graphic programs sketchup rendering, photoshop, etc, and sometimes when i used them, i noticed that the temp / tmp files takes up the C drive and in some cases, it left me to only a few MB of storage. It bothers me because then the program stars to malfunction, so i discovered a way to move those temp / tmp files to another drive, which then i did moved it to my D drive 500gb HDD. Keep in mind that I also store my project an

:)

iambamms, Aug 17, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Moving 'Temp' files folder from my C drive to my D drive

Your best option is to go to Disk Management (Accessible from the right click menu of your Start Button)

Select the Partition that represents Drive D, shrink this partition and then extend your C Drive into the unallocated space. This will give you as much space as you need on your C drive
    (remember 1000MB = 1GB)

If however, you do still want to change Tamp onto your D Drive, create a folder in the appropriate place on your D Drive

Then go to Control Panel - System

On the left click 'Advanced System Settings'

I changed my TEMP and TMP folder location from drive C to drive D, and my files slowly gone... fa255beb-3cf9-490f-9c8b-7e3b9aa61b01.jpg

Click the 'Environment Variables' button at the Bottom

Then change the location of TEMP and TMP to the location of the new folder you created on your D drive by clicking 'Edit'

I changed my TEMP and TMP folder location from drive C to drive D, and my files slowly gone... 119aedf1-2e6a-47fc-96bd-f8c71b91e2e8.jpg

DaveM121, Aug 17, 2021
  3. How to set system TEMP and TMP to a different drive in Windows 10.

Hi Kens,

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

To change the location of the System Temp folder, follow the steps given below.

• Right click on Computer and click on Properties. In the resulting window with the basic

information about your computer

• Click on Advanced system settings on the left panel resulting in a dialog box click on the advanced tab.

• Click on the button near the bottom labeled Environment Variables.

• You may see both TMP and TEMP listed in the section labeled User variables for (account). That's the common location; each different login account is assigned its own temporary location.

• In the Variable value Edit box you may specify the path to the directory that Windows and many other programs will use for temporary files.

Be sure and repeat that process for both TMP and TEMP.

You'll need to restart any running programs for the new value to take effect. In fact, you'll need to restart Windows for it to begin using the new value for its own temporary files.

To change the location of the Internet Temp folder, follow the steps given below.

Note: That Internet Explorer moves cookies to the new folder and the old folder is removed. Additionally, the following message is displayed when you attempt to move the Temporary Internet Files folder:

Warning: Moving the location of your Temporary Internet Files folder will delete all your subscription data.

• Create a new folder to store the files. For example, if you want to store the files in a folder named Ietemp on drive D, create the following folder:
    D:\Ietemp

For information about how to create a folder, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type
    new folder, and then double-click the "New Folders" topic.

• Start Internet Explorer.
    • On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    • On the General tab, click Settings.
    • Click Move Folder.
    • Click the folder you created in Step 1.
    • Click OK, click OK, and then click OK again.
    • Restart your computer

You can change the location of Internet explorer temp folder; there is no security threat to your computer.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Aug 17, 2021
  4. I changed my TEMP and TMP folder location from drive C to drive D, and my files slowly gone...

Moving 'Temp' files folder from my C drive to my D drive

For some unknown reason the manufacturer of my PC (ASUS) put a partition on this computer of just 149Gb and called it drive C. The remainder of the drive, which is a 3TB drive, has 2.58TB and this is called the D drive.

As a result of this strange configuration my C drive is now just about full and programs that need to access the Temp File folder are unable to do so.

What I want to do is to change the Temp File storage to my D drive which has acres of room. Unfortunately I don't know how to do this and any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Regards

Bob Oliver, Aug 17, 2021
Thema:

I changed my TEMP and TMP folder location from drive C to drive D, and my files slowly gone...

1. I changed my TEMP and TMP folder location from drive C to drive D, and my files slowly gone... - Similar Threads - changed TEMP TMP

2. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  3. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  4. I changed the default location of my Folders from C to D drive, but now not able to see my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed the default location of my Folders from C to D drive, but now not able to see my...: Please help me with this issue, I can access my pictures and desktop folder from the quick access but not able to access from the D drive as i can access others one. Also i have upgraded to windows 11 but my command prompt as of windows 10, as i know the windows 11 has new ui...
  5. I changed the default location of my Folders from C to D drive, but now not able to see my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I changed the default location of my Folders from C to D drive, but now not able to see my...: Please help me with this issue, I can access my pictures and desktop folder from the quick access but not able to access from the D drive as i can access others one. Also i have upgraded to windows 11 but my command prompt as of windows 10, as i know the windows 11 has new ui...
  6. Cannot change location of Documents from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot change location of Documents from C drive to D drive: I want to change the location of "Documents" under "This PC" from the standard 'C:\Users\Guy\Documents' to 'D:\Documents'. The main reason being that the disk capacity of my C drive is quite small. I tried changing the location in properties for 'C:\Users\Guy\Documents' to...
  7. Unable to Change Location of Documents Folder From C: Drive to D: Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to Change Location of Documents Folder From C: Drive to D: Drive: I followed instructions I found online to right click Documents, click on Properties, and change Location from C:\Users\Owner\Documents to D: I did that and got the message:The folder can't be moved here. Unexpected error from PerformRedirection The filename or extension is...
  8. I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D

I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D: I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D by right clicking the system folder, then I click theLocation tab, click the Move tab and I select the Drive D and then i clickedapply. And then it messed up. The Download icon now becomes a...
  9. Tmp files/folders in C:\Windows\Temp

in Windows 10 Support
    Tmp files/folders in C:\Windows\Temp: I was recently looking in C:\Windows\Temp and found many (hundreds) of folders in this directory. These folders each contains a file called "tmp00000000", these files are zero length. The folders in Windows\Temp are all in the form "tmp00000xxx" or "tmp0000xxxx", where...
  10. Changing location of One Drive Pictures folders from a folder on c drive to d drive

Changing location of One Drive Pictures folders from a folder on c drive to d drive: I want the OneDrive to backup pictures from my d drive rather than my c drive. when I click location for my one drive pictures and try and change it I get the following error message Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same directory that can't be...