Windows 10: I changed name of svgost.exe now locked out of drive C: can't boot.

Discus and support I changed name of svgost.exe now locked out of drive C: can't boot. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recognizing all the recourses used by svgost I took ownership and changed it's name to zzzsvgost thinking I'll just use the cmd prompt to change it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Franklin J, Jul 30, 2016.

1. I changed name of svgost.exe now locked out of drive C: can't boot.

Recognizing all the recourses used by svgost I took ownership and changed it's name to zzzsvgost thinking I'll just use the cmd prompt to change it back if any problems arise. Well they arose alright - Won't boot and I'm locked out of drive c:\ from command-line, from Ubuntu, from recovery disk, from startup in safe mode options etc..

c:\> dir

volume in drive c: is reserved
    volume serial number is C845-EBF4

directory of c:\
    recovery.txt
    1 file 0 bytes
    179,990 bytes free

I have a recovery usb and a installation usb - but their options are identical at boot. Both boil down to clearing apps and files.The other options either don't work or don't exits as depicted in other similar problem responses.

any solutions greatly appreciated-

:)

Franklin J, Jul 30, 2016
  2. Pavan_N Win User

I changed a user name in 'c drive' - 'users'. Now I am unable to log into that account. How do I fix it?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

I would like to inform you that changing user name will make that particular account corrupt. You can

perform system restore. But you will have same user name as before.

Method 1: Perform system restore and check.

This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal
    files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Method 2: If you wish to change the user name. I would suggest you to create new user account by following the link below.

Sign in with a Microsoft account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-microsoft-account

I would like to inform you that you need to log in to a different account apart from which account you are copying file and to account which you are copying to.

Follow the Steps below and check if that helps.

Copy User Data: Follow the below steps to copy files to the new user profile

5. Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying files to or from.

6. In Windows Explorer, click View, click Options, click the Change Folder and search option, click View tab and Show hidden files and folders, uncheck the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.

7. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive on which Windows is installed, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy user data from.

8. Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and subfolder in this folder, except the following files:

• Ntuser.dat

• Ntuser.dat.log

• Ntuser.ini

5. On the Edit menu, click Copy.

6. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder, where C is the drive on which Windows is installed, and New_Username is the name of the user profile that you created in the "Create a New User Profile" section.

7. On the Edit menu, click Paste.

8. Log off the computer, and then log on as the new user.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Jul 30, 2016
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    I changed a user name in 'c drive' - 'users'. Now I am unable to log into that account. How do I fix it?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response.

Glad to know that the issue is fixed. We appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting the issue. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future. We'll be more than happy to assist you again.

Pavan_N, Jul 30, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

I changed name of svgost.exe now locked out of drive C: can't boot.

Try creating Kyhi's rescue DVD or flash drive.

See here: Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk from KYHI

It allows you access to a non-working system - and provides a visual means to repair the system You would have to download the ISO and then burn it to USB or CD to create a bootable WinPE disk.

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2016
Thema:

I changed name of svgost.exe now locked out of drive C: can't boot.

1. I changed name of svgost.exe now locked out of drive C: can't boot. - Similar Threads - changed name svgost

2. Locked out of C: Drive and Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of C: Drive and Computer: I have tried running all the normal items to get it into safe mode with networking and can’t get it to log in. So I’m stuck with the error that says the user profile service failed the sign in and user profile can’t be loaded. Was wondering if there was anyway to get all of...
  3. Locked out of C: Drive and Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out of C: Drive and Computer: I have tried running all the normal items to get it into safe mode with networking and can’t get it to log in. So I’m stuck with the error that says the user profile service failed the sign in and user profile can’t be loaded. Was wondering if there was anyway to get all of...
  4. how to change the user name in c DRIVE?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to change the user name in c DRIVE?: users/usernam in cmd . How to change this username https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-user-name-in-c-drive/d557cf71-4e23-44f3-96a3-be39e9cf4fcc
  5. Locked out of c drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Locked out of c drive: I accidentally denied every users, administrators, system, authenticated users from full access in c drive. Now I can't access c drive. Windows doens't works properly and even the system can't access system 32 folder. And whenever I click something inside the properties of c...
  6. External drive name changed to boot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External drive name changed to boot.: My external drive name recently changed to boot and I lost all of my files on it, I now cannot reinstall said files on my C drive. I deleted the files within the drive and nothing changed, the storage space also changed from 1TB to 252MB....
  7. changing user name in drive c

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    changing user name in drive c: Can and how do I change my user name in drive C on my new computer to match my old computer so that my files from my photo book will link correctly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-user-name-in-drive-c/35393109-666d-4897-a2d1-55c5596899f0"
  8. I am locked out of my C drive, can not change user permissions...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I am locked out of my C drive, can not change user permissions...: I am locked out of my C drive, can not change user permissions - run system restore and more. How can I reset permissions to original settings. I have one good restore date config. visible, but system will not let me run system restore - I can still access my documents folder...
  9. changed computer name now locked out of admin

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    changed computer name now locked out of admin: I changed the PC name and now I have no admin access so I am locked out of making any changes. how can I change it back? or am I hooped... *Sad 40828
  10. I change the folder name and now I can't open it

in Windows 10 Support
    I change the folder name and now I can't open it: Hi Everyone, I change the name of one folder, from this moment I can't open the folder. I reciver the announcement with the path and that "the folder is not accessible. Access is denided." If i clik right click > properties, I see 0 bytes inside, but I know that there are a...