Windows 10: I changed permissions on all files on C: drive now I get black screen

Discus and support I changed permissions on all files on C: drive now I get black screen in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 In Windows Explorer, I right-clicked on C: and went to Properties and then selected the Security tab and edited the permissions to Allow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RCinMSP, Nov 12, 2015.

1. RCinMSP Win User

I changed permissions on all files on C: drive now I get black screen

Windows 10
    In Windows Explorer, I right-clicked on C: and went to Properties and then selected the Security tab and edited the permissions to Allow Full control and it ran for a long, long time. When I re-booted the computer it works fine until after the Sign In screen then the screen goes black. I have a cursor and if I hit Ctrl-Atl-Delete I can select Task Manager but then the screen goes black again. I can boot into Safe Mode with Networking and I can get a Command Prompt in Safe Mode. I have looked at ICACLS but I'm not sure how to use it to re-set the permissions back to normal Windows 10 settings.
    Anybody have any ideas?

:)

RCinMSP, Nov 12, 2015
  2. Para_889 Win User

Am I being hacked/ Changed C: Drive Permissions

I'm having issues with unauthorised permission given to Authenticated Users on my C: drive, some how its has given special permissions to Authenticated Users and grayed out so I cant change and now all folder's in my C: drive belong to (S-1-5-21-1800742781-42368032-4135958153-1003)
    instead of (Administrators (User\Administrators))

This leads me to think I have been hacked as well as I am being denied access to a number of folders in C: drive that i used to have Access to

P.S there is something called wormgr.exe accessing the internet from C: Drive

Para_889, Nov 12, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Am I being hacked/ Changed C: Drive Permissions

Are you sure it is not wermgr.exe - this is Windows Error Reporting probably reporting errors back to Microsoft!

With respect to S-1-5-21-1800742781-42368032-4135958153-1003, that could refer to your User Account, it is hard to know as each account has a different ID

Do you have permission to create a new folder on your C Drive?

What folders on your C Drive can you now not access that you previously had access to?

DaveM121, Nov 12, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

In order to use ICACLS to restore the permissions. You'd have to run it to save all the permission settings to a file before you change the permissions. I gues you are stuck.

Try to do a system restore before you made the change to see if it helps.

topgundcp, Nov 12, 2015
  5. RCinMSP Win User
    I tried system restore, no luck. I can run "takeown" from a command prompt in Safe Mode but can I use that to reset permissions back to default, whatever the default was?

RCinMSP, Nov 12, 2015
  6. One does not simply mess around with the permissions settings of C:\ Drive. You have put your system willingly at risk. *Smile

If system restore is not working, try to repair the system or do a C:\ Drive format and install windows back in.
    You wont lose data on the other partitions this way. But take a back up always just in case if any thing goes wrong.

Shadow Delta, Nov 12, 2015
  7. RCinMSP Win User
    I gave up and reformatted the hard drive and installed Windows 7

RCinMSP, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I changed permissions on all files on C: drive now I get black screen - Similar Threads - changed permissions files

2. How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...: So like the question says I changed the file perms for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps so I could add something for an app. I wanted to know where a game of mine was installed but after I knew where it was installed i wanted to change it back but now i dont know what the...
  3. How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...: So like the question says I changed the file perms for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps so I could add something for an app. I wanted to know where a game of mine was installed but after I knew where it was installed i wanted to change it back but now i dont know what the...
  4. How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...: So like the question says I changed the file perms for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps so I could add something for an app. I was trying to add a folder and then a file inside that new folder which is supposed to be named Formats. I was trying to add this for a compressed folder...
  6. How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix file permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps? I changed the permissions...: So like the question says I changed the file perms for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps so I could add something for an app. I was trying to add a folder and then a file inside that new folder which is supposed to be named Formats. I was trying to add this for a compressed folder...
  7. "Accidentally" changed permission to all C: files and folders

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Accidentally" changed permission to all C: files and folders: I might have made the most stupid mistake I've ever made. I was moving many files among different folders and every time I moved a file, a message appeared saying that I had to provide administrator permission to move the file. There are no other accounts on my PC so I'm the...
  8. Changed C: Drive Permissions and now have random files in my C Drive

Changed C: Drive Permissions and now have random files in my C Drive: Hello, I was in a coding class and needed to put a picture into the app I was working on. To do this, as an inexperienced coder I thought I had to upload it to my C: drive. When I uploaded the pictures, I was unable to because of the permissions of the drive. I changed the...
  9. I made a huge mistake by changing permissions of my (C:) Drive

I made a huge mistake by changing permissions of my (C:) Drive: Hello everyone, thank you for viewing my question. About a week ago, I was playing Borderlands 2 (game) for about 6 hours. I completed most of the game, and logged out for the day. When I came back the next day, I realized my progress didn’t save. Upset, I took desperate...
  10. How do I get Permission change files

How do I get Permission change files: I'm trying to un-install Microsoft Edge so I can re-install it (because it's not working properly so I want to start over) but everytime I try to delete it, it says I need permission but the problem is when I go to properties and click security, it already says the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i changed c drive permissions