Windows 10: I changed the number of processors from 1 to 12 in System config, now I get bsod. If I...

Discus and support I changed the number of processors from 1 to 12 in System config, now I get bsod. If I... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Yesterday I was on discord asking for advice to speed up my pc. Stubbornly I trusted people, they suggested I change the number of processors or cores... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by aBoisvert2, Mar 18, 2023.

1. I changed the number of processors from 1 to 12 in System config, now I get bsod. If I...

Yesterday I was on discord asking for advice to speed up my pc. Stubbornly I trusted people, they suggested I change the number of processors or cores I believe to the highest number. I did that, and now I get the error message Bad_system_config_info So if I just changed the info back to how it should be, would that maybe fix the issue? I am in Windows recovery, and think I can get into safe mode, but rather wait for a response.

:)

aBoisvert2, Mar 18, 2023

2. Can't fix MSCONFIG Processor setting after changing number of processors to 8

I'm using Windows 10 Pro.
    I was looking for ways to increase performance and I came across some postings on MSCONFIG. I navigated to the option Boot/Advanced Options/Number of Processors. When I checked it, I saw that I could change the number from 1 to 8. I did so and rebooted. Now, when I boot I get in an endless loop of Windows Automatic Repair telling me that I have a configuration error and "Attempting Repairs". I'd like to change the Processors back from 8 to 1.
    When I choose Advanced Options \ Troubleshoot \ Advanced Options I receive a menu of choices.

• Menu Options
    • When I select "System Restore \Restore Point" for a few selections I get the message "System Restore did not complete successfully. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x800070003)"
    • When I select "Go back to the previous version" I receive the message "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows."
    • When I select "System Image Recovery" I receive the message "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer."
    • When I select "Start Repair" I get an error with that as well.

I've also taken the following steps already.

• Other Steps:
    • Windows with Command Prompt (It Boots from drive X", and the
      original drive "C" is now "E")
    • net user administrator /active:yes
    • CD E:\Windows\System32\config MSCONFIG (I Receive the error: "You do
      not have sufficient privileges to run System Configuration. Please
      run this utility as a user in the Administrators group."
    • CD
      E:\Windows\System32\config ICACLS E:\Windows\System32\config*.*
      /INHERITANCE:r /GRANT:r AdministratorI changed the number of processors from 1 to 12 in System config, now I get bsod. If I... :(F) /F /C
    • Regedit
    • (I point to
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)
    • File / Load Hive
    • (I Navigate to)
      E:\Windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE
    • Open
    • (I receive the message
      "SOFTWARE You don't have permission to open this file. Contact the
      file owner or an administrator to obtain permission")

How can I change the number of processor settings when I'm in Windows Automatic Repair?

user3138025, Mar 19, 2023
  3. clearbone Win User
    bsod, bad config, cached password not known, changed cores for boot from 1 to 12

I have 64 gb of ram. the system never uses more than about 9.

found an article for how to use all ram from startup.

can also change how many cores from boot.

changed ram, rebooted no issue.

changed cores

bsod

wouldnt take password

went online changed password for outlook

wouldnt take any old passwords (for the cached one)

wont let me do anything in the tools without the password

solution is to run cli

from

Can't fix MSCONFIG Processor setting after changing number of processors to 8

When in Windows Automatic Repair, I open the Command Prompt and type the following two commands:

1. bcdedit/deletevalue {default} numproc
    2. bcdedit/deletevalue {default} truncatememory
    i changed the bios setting 'core performance boost' to off -msi

how do i get the local machine to take the new password or change this from somewhere else?

clearbone, Mar 19, 2023
  4. I changed the number of processors from 1 to 12 in System config, now I get bsod. If I...

How to recover number of processors in system configaration window in windows 10

Initially I made my selection as 4 processors in number of processors dropdown(system configuration window) and saved my boot settings as permanent and restarted my PC.

As I see there is much slow when it got restarted. then I made my selection as 1 processors in number of processors dropdown(system configuration window) and saved my boot settings as permanent and restarted my PC.

when I check in my next restart I see there is only one processor available in the list. Does this mean I lost my processors or could any one suggest how can I recover all my four cores.

Dheerajchokka, Mar 19, 2023
Thema:

I changed the number of processors from 1 to 12 in System config, now I get bsod. If I...

1. I changed the number of processors from 1 to 12 in System config, now I get bsod. If I... - Similar Threads - changed number processors

2. How to revert back the changes in ms config number of processors?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to revert back the changes in ms config number of processors?: I accidentally changed the number of processor to 1, in msconfig and my system is very slow now. I tried to change it but it's locked at 1 now. Is there any what I can revert back my changes?...
  3. I changed the number of processors from 1 to 12 in System config, now I get bsod. If I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed the number of processors from 1 to 12 in System config, now I get bsod. If I...: Yesterday I was on discord asking for advice to speed up my pc. Stubbornly I trusted people, they suggested I change the number of processors or cores I believe to the highest number. I did that, and now I get the error message Bad_system_config_info So if I just changed the...
  4. I changed the number of processors from 1 to 12 in System config, now I get bsod. If I...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I changed the number of processors from 1 to 12 in System config, now I get bsod. If I...: Yesterday I was on discord asking for advice to speed up my pc. Stubbornly I trusted people, they suggested I change the number of processors or cores I believe to the highest number. I did that, and now I get the error message Bad_system_config_info So if I just changed the...
  5. I changed the number of processors and now my pc has numerous problems.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I changed the number of processors and now my pc has numerous problems.: Hi. So as in the title I changed the amount of processors on my laptop yesterday from 1 to 4. At first it was fine but it disconnected me from my WiFi and that. I fixed it in the end, but I wouldn't be posting this if that was it.I tried to sign in to my laptop, to find that...
  6. I changed the number of processors and now my pc has numerous problems.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed the number of processors and now my pc has numerous problems.: Hi. So as in the title I changed the amount of processors on my laptop yesterday from 1 to 4. At first it was fine but it disconnected me from my WiFi and that. I fixed it in the end, but I wouldn't be posting this if that was it.I tried to sign in to my laptop, to find that...
  7. I changed the number of processors and now my pc has numerous problems.

8. bsod, bad config, cached password not known, changed cores for boot from 1 to 12

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bsod, bad config, cached password not known, changed cores for boot from 1 to 12: I have 64 gb of ram. the system never uses more than about 9.found an article for how to use all ram from startup.can also change how many cores from boot.changed ram, rebooted no issue.changed coresbsodwouldnt take passwordwent online changed password for outlookwouldnt take...
  9. bsod, bad config, cached password not known, changed cores for boot from 1 to 12

bsod, bad config, cached password not known, changed cores for boot from 1 to 12: I have 64 gb of ram. the system never uses more than about 9.found an article for how to use all ram from startup.can also change how many cores from boot.changed ram, rebooted no issue.changed coresbsodwouldnt take passwordwent online changed password for outlookwouldnt take...
  10. bsod, bad config, cached password not known, changed cores for boot from 1 to 12

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging