Windows 10: I changed the value data of my exefile in registry and now I can't open SOME exe files...

Discus and support I changed the value data of my exefile in registry and now I can't open SOME exe files... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] \"This is a picture showing one of my exe files, usually there is an \"Open\" option not \"Application\" Long story short, I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/vincentmoonarrow, Jul 28, 2020.

1. I changed the value data of my exefile in registry and now I can't open SOME exe files...

I changed the value data of my exefile in registry and now I can't open SOME exe files... Xdp1dFAprbkuuwpM3HaCVkNUffTrJsFd8WdRRUqitFc.jpg

\"This is a picture showing one of my exe files, usually there is an \"Open\" option not \"Application\"

Long story short, I have a problem when trying to open an exefile so I decided to fix it by watching a tutorial on youtube and not long after I changed the value data in my exefile and now I can't open it anymore.

I tried to put to the default value data of my exefile which is "Application" but the problem still persist, OH and FYI I'm not sure if it's only "just" exefile that I managed to change, it can also be other stuff in the registry that I managed to change all according to this one video,.. right here that I followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubhcLcWtOp4

Yeah anyways, back to the problem. I can't open SOME exe files, remember SOME.. most of the time it works but some times it doesn't, but some exe files I have are important and I wanted to open it.

I don't know if anyone can help me in this sub, but if anyone have any idea on fixing this please tell me, thank you!

I wanted to ask, but is it possible to reset regedit back to the default value data without clean install Windows 10?

submitted by /u/vincentmoonarrow
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/vincentmoonarrow, Jul 28, 2020

2. I changes .exe (Default) files data value, and now I can't open .exe files. Can anyone tell me the normal data value for .exe?

Assuming you changed the value data for (default), in this key: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.EXE]

If the Registry Editor is still open, you can change it back to "exefile" (without quotes). If you've already closed the Registry Editor, use this method to reset the correct value.

Double-click a text (.txt) file in your system.

(This opens Notepad.)

From the File menu, click New.

Copy the following contents and paste into Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]

@="exefile"

Save the file with .REG extension.

Double-click the file to run it.

This fixes the .exe file type ProgID.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 28, 2020
  3. Cannot run any exe file after setting registry default value=exefile

Hi,

I was having problems running some specific exe files so I found on this site the suggestion to check if the default value for the.exe files was set to "exefile".

Indeed it was not so I input exefile. The other default values were ok.

BUT NOW I CAN'T RUN ANY EXE FILE! not even regedit, cmd prompt or powershell. Not even from the win+X menu. This means I can't go check what is

inside the registry.

i can still run apps by opening files: for example i can open VLC by opening an mp3 and choosing open with from the context menu.

I additionally reset the application association to the default hoping it would help but instead all it did was rendering all my app icons as white sheets. So now I can't even tell one exe from the other!

Please help. Any suggestion on how to solve this without resetting?

Thanks a lot

Nico

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

NicoBellisario, Jul 28, 2020
  4. I changed the value data of my exefile in registry and now I can't open SOME exe files...

I changes .exe (Default) files data value, and now I can't open .exe files. Can anyone tell me the normal data value for .exe?

I changes .exe (Default) files data value, and now I can't open .exe files. Can anyone tell me the normal data value for .exe?

NilsonTibbits, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

I changed the value data of my exefile in registry and now I can't open SOME exe files...

1. I changed the value data of my exefile in registry and now I can't open SOME exe files... - Similar Threads - changed value data

2. I got tricked by a scam video in which they asked me to edit my .exe and exefile values in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I got tricked by a scam video in which they asked me to edit my .exe and exefile values in...: I have tried to use this guide using Keith’s instructions at the bottom https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidentally-changed-exe-files/38ee2d3c-c205-46c3-b45b-8cdc3b06db13However, the very last step I could not do as it could not find the specified...
  3. I got tricked by a scam video in which they asked me to edit my .exe and exefile values in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I got tricked by a scam video in which they asked me to edit my .exe and exefile values in...: I have tried to use this guide using Keith’s instructions at the bottom https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidentally-changed-exe-files/38ee2d3c-c205-46c3-b45b-8cdc3b06db13However, the very last step I could not do as it could not find the specified...
  4. I want to restore some REGISTRY values

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to restore some REGISTRY values: I've used registry file to allow me to disable auto arrange in the folders like the desktopBut, it changed the shape of folders to worse and I want to undo this*not talking about the icons*So if anyone can help with me posting the default values or tell me eaier way to...
  5. Cannot change the start value data in Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot change the start value data in Registry Editor: So, I bought my pc a few weeks ago and I recently realized windows isn't updating itself. I looked up in services and found "wuauserv" to disabled. I tried to start the Windows Update Service from there but it stops itself after starting. Then, I ran Registry Editor as...
  6. I can't open Exe files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I can't open Exe files?: [ATTACH] Hello, Unfortunately I cannot open any exe daiten anymore ... can anyone help me? I hand already tried everything ... Ich kann keine Exe Dateien öffnen?
  7. I changed my TdrDelay and TdrDdiDelay registry values. Now it's stuck with them.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I changed my TdrDelay and TdrDdiDelay registry values. Now it's stuck with them.: Hello, I was recenly trying to overcome a crashing game, and I tried rising the TdrDelay and also TdrDdiDelay values, as suggested multiple times on the internet. I tried 20 DEC and the only outcome was the the game was hung up for 20 seconds before crashing. Because it was...
  8. I deleted some registry files now im losing some data

I deleted some registry files now im losing some data: so i deleted some registry files while i was trying to fix a problem before that i did take a backup file but after i restarted my pc i cant find it ! i was following this steps : method 2 link submitted by /u/AdeLZeuX [link] [comments]...
  9. I changed my registry value to show advanced power options, the registry value change...

I changed my registry value to show advanced power options, the registry value change...: It just happened one day to another. I used it to change the screen lockout from a minute to 60. submitted by /u/AswanStruyf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0qv9y/i_changed_my_registry_value_to_show_advanced/
  10. Can't open pictures - Invalid value for registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open pictures - Invalid value for registry: For the past few days I haven't been able to open any pictures using the Photos APP. I've deleted it and reinstalled it and I've run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow twice - before and after deleting and reinstalling the APP - and found no...