Windows 10: I changed to Legacy boot from UEFI now I want to go back/fix it.

Discus and support I changed to Legacy boot from UEFI now I want to go back/fix it. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an acer laptop with two hard disks, a primary 256GB SSD windows OS drive and a 1TB HDD with an external cooling pad for the laptop that draws... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Joe_259, May 15, 2022.

1. Joe_259 Win User

I changed to Legacy boot from UEFI now I want to go back/fix it.

I have an acer laptop with two hard disks, a primary 256GB SSD windows OS drive and a 1TB HDD with an external cooling pad for the laptop that draws power from the laptop.Two days back my laptop switched got off because my battery died and when I pugged it in and started the laptop , it was cycling on and off so I unplugged the cooling pad and manually shut down the system by holding the power button. Then when I started the system again it stared showing "no bootable device found".I searched online and I found a tutorial to troubleshoot and they suggested to switch my boot to legacy from UEFI

:)

Joe_259, May 15, 2022

2. How to change a legacy Boot W10 diskt to use UEFI Boot

Hi all,

I would like to modernize my well running W10 by changing the boot process to UEFI (Reason: Using NVmE SSDs or GPT sized disk). Because the system has many well configured apps used day by day a clean install would be the least favorable choice.

So my questions are:

• Is it possible to patch a fully installed and featured W10 from legacy boot to UEFI boot? And how?
    • If possible: does a patched system needs a new activation (Its a migrated W10 from W7)?
    BTW: I have already read lots of post dealing with UEFI. But I didn't find any usable answer yet.

TIA and best regards.

Jörg Debus, May 15, 2022
  3. UEFI vs Legacy boot mode

I recommend you stick with legacy install instead to avoid any compatibility problem hardware or software. Uefi have the speed advantage for boot up but I don't find it to be a good trade-off for the compatibility problems that appeared. Secure boot for uefi is a pain if you decide to install multiple os as the other os is "locked" out. I used uefi for my previous install it is a lengthy install selecting the correct bios setting without borking the install. I'll move to uefi if I don't have a need for multiple os or legacy things. So far I seem to need it.

MIRTAZAPINE, May 15, 2022
  4. I changed to Legacy boot from UEFI now I want to go back/fix it.

Support Had Me Change From UEFI to Legacy mode in BIOS Re: DISASTER

This was Acronis True Image 2018 support not MS or Lenovo (P51). Those familiar with True Image know that you can create bootable media on a flash drive to run the software. No problem with True Image 2017 but True Image 2018 did not work. Although the flash drive loaded the program the GUI was garbled and I was unable to navigate. Support had me switch from UEFI back to Legacy and that was a bad idea. Sorry for the caps but this was what I wrote back to Acronis support. FYI the rest of the message was not in caps:

SUPPORT: I have discussed this issue with the Experts team and they have suggested testing whether changing from UEFI to Legacy mode in BIOS fixes the issue or not. This step is suggested for testing purpose only.
    THAT WAS A TERRIBLE SUGGESTION. I WENT INTO THE BIOS AND DID AS YOU INSTRUCTED AND CHANGED FROM UEFI TO LEGACY. I CLICKED EXIT AND SAVE AND WITH THE FLASH DRIVE PLUGGED IN THE 2018 BOOTABLE MEDIA I WENT TO BOOT MENU OPTIONS AND CHOOSE BOOT FROM FLASH DRIVE AND I WAS DROPPED BACK INTO THE BOOT MENU OPTION. SEE ENCLOSED PICTURE. I THEN SELECTED BOOT FROM THE SSD DRIVE AND I WAS AGAIN STUCK IN A LOOP THAT DROPPED ME BACK INTO THE BOOT MENU OPTION. I THEN TRIED BOOTING FROM THE SECOND INTERNAL HDD OPTION AND AGAIN WAS DROPPED BACK INTO THE BOOT MENU. I COULD NOT GET BACK INTO THE BIOS TO CHANGE BACK TO UEFI FROM LEGACY. I HAD TO DO A HARD SHUTDOWN AND POWER BACK ON AND ONLY THEN WAS I ABLE TO GET INTO THE BIOS AND CHANGE BACK FROM LEGACY TO UEFI.

This is a pic of the loop I was caught up in. Why do you all think I was not able to boot either from the flash drive or the SSD or the HDD once I changed from UEFI to Legacy in the BIOS? TIA.

I changed to Legacy boot from UEFI now I want to go back/fix it. [​IMG]

phaedruspress, May 15, 2022
Thema:

I changed to Legacy boot from UEFI now I want to go back/fix it.

1. I changed to Legacy boot from UEFI now I want to go back/fix it. - Similar Threads - changed Legacy boot

2. Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi.: I didn’t realize I needed to have GPT instead of MBR drive and after changing this setting in the bios for my Msi b450m gaming plus max my pc just keeps loading “preparing automatic repair”.I have tired removing th cmos for 3hrs and resetting the bios. When bios are set back...
  3. Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi.: I didn’t realize I needed to have GPT instead of MBR drive and after changing this setting in the bios for my Msi b450m gaming plus max my pc just keeps loading “preparing automatic repair”.I have tired removing th cmos for 3hrs and resetting the bios. When bios are set back...
  4. Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I changed to Legacy boot from UEFI now I want to go back/fix it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed to Legacy boot from UEFI now I want to go back/fix it.: I have an acer laptop with two hard disks, a primary 256GB SSD windows OS drive and a 1TB HDD with an external cooling pad for the laptop that draws power from the laptop.Two days back my laptop switched got off because my battery died and when I pugged it in and started the...
  6. I changed to Legacy boot from UEFI now I want to go back/fix it.

I changed to Legacy boot from UEFI now I want to go back/fix it.: I have an acer laptop with two hard disks, a primary 256GB SSD windows OS drive and a 1TB HDD with an external cooling pad for the laptop that draws power from the laptop.Two days back my laptop switched got off because my battery died and when I pugged it in and started the...
  7. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  8. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  9. I want to change from Legacy to UEFI boot and MBR to GPT win10 and restore boot and win10...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I want to change from Legacy to UEFI boot and MBR to GPT win10 and restore boot and win10...: I just finished loading everything and setting up my new win10 computer. I change my bios setting from Legacy to UEFI and convert boot hard drive from MBR to GPT. Can I change the BIOS to UEFI, boot DOS form a USB, reformat the boot HD using diskpart to GPT, and then...
  10. Back from UEFI to Legacy

in Windows 10 Customization
    Back from UEFI to Legacy: Hello, How we can back from UEFI to Legacy Bios? Just we need to change BIOS setting? or we need to change some setting in WinRE? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-from-uefi-to-legacy/e4f4fea1-fe1b-49d0-b70c-433c198dc55d