Windows 10: I changed WindowsApps folder ownership to my account, now my games won't start, or...

Discus and support I changed WindowsApps folder ownership to my account, now my games won't start, or... in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I've made a right mess of this. So, I wanted to install mods into No Man's Sky, which I installed as part of the xbox game pass app. MS, in their... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by oddgoat45, Aug 30, 2020.

1. oddgoat45 Win User

I changed WindowsApps folder ownership to my account, now my games won't start, or...

I've made a right mess of this. So, I wanted to install mods into No Man's Sky, which I installed as part of the xbox game pass app. MS, in their infinite wisdom, have locked all editing of files in WindowsApps, so I tried to take ownership of the NMS game's folder. This kept reverting, so I took ownership of the WindowsApps folder. This gave me access to the folders, but has caused a litany of other problems...

Most of my installed games won't start - the only unaffected game is Forza Horizon 4. All others silently fail when I hit play. the games that are failing are Grounded, Saints Row 4, No Man's Sky, and Rage 2.

If I try to open the related game folders in explorer, it gives an error stating the system cannot access this location.

So I tried uninstalling NMS through the app, and it said it was gone, but the folder remains and my free disk space has not changed. So I tried manually deleting the folder - it gave an access error, but when I clicked try again it went through the normal deletion process/progress bar display. The folder is now gone from explorer, but my free disk space has not changed.

I tried reinstalling NMS through the xbox app and it gives error code 0x80070057 and not much other info. Googling this error suggests a file system error.

So far the fixes I have tried are: SFC scan no errors, chkdsk no errors DISM no errors, malware scan a couple of minor hits, but just the usual adware, now removed. I tried changing the ownership of WindowsApps folder to 'Everyone' and making sure it has full access rights, no effect. I tried changing my account to super-user, no effect.

I'm completely at a loss of what to try next. I think I've not only completely borked my xbox apps install, but have given myself a large amount of phantom data on my drive which I don't know how to erase.

I could really use some ideas of what to try next.

Also, could someone please tell me what the original ownership account is for the Program Files/WindowsApps folder - I can try changing it back to that if I can find what it is I really should have written it down!.

:)

oddgoat45, Aug 30, 2020

2. WindowsApps folder ownership

Hello,

As I know, the default owner for WindowsApps folder is TrustedInstaller. You can try restoring ownership to TrustedInstaller, refer first reply here for the required steps:

Restore WindowsApps permissionss to TrustedInstaller

Hope this helps!

Kapil Arya MVP, Aug 30, 2020
  3. Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

I have been tearing what little hair I have left out of my head trying to copy a file from my desktop to the appropriate folder in the Kodi folder buried in the XBMC… folder in Windowsapps in a brand-new fairly high-end laptop running Windows 10 Pro. I cannot get beyond first what appears to be a UAC “Destination Folder Access Denied” error message saying “You’ll need to provide administrative permission to copy to this folder.” If I click on the UAC “continue” button I get another “Destination Folder Access Denied” error box saying “You need permission to perform this action.” The second error box has only “Try Again” and “Cancel” buttons. Nothing is listed under “More details” in either error box.

Here is most of what I have tried:

1. changing ownership of Windowsapps and all folders below it to my Microsoft account user and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    2. changing ownership to administrators group for Windowsapps and all folders below it and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    3. enabling the “hidden” administrator account, going back to my Microsoft user account and granting full-control rights to the administrator account, returning to the administrator account, taking control with that account, granting full control permission to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    4. creating a new administrator account and repeating 3;
    5. completely disabling UAC through the registry, once in the default administrator account and once in my Microsoft account user.
    6. adding and using the “Take Ownership” context option on a Windowsapps folder as described in the Tutorial at Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 ; and
    7. running the following commands in an administrator command window:

Code:
    as suggested at: Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders... - Windows 10 Forums
    In fact, even if I do an explicit copy from an administrator command window, I get an “access is denied” notice.

None of the many sources I have looked at online are of any help in dealing with this blockage. Please help — not only do I need to get full-control access to Windowsapps and its subfolders for this purpose, I also need to get full-control permission to Windowsapps folders in order to get rid of an annoying McAffee startup.exe which pops an error box on every boot up even though I removed McAffee in the normal way.

How can I get assured access to Windowsapps folders???

jedpaquette, Aug 30, 2020
  4. dehandl Win User

I changed WindowsApps folder ownership to my account, now my games won't start, or...

WindowsApps folder ownership

If you change ownership on the WindowsApps folder, how do you change it back to the original owner?

dehandl, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

1. I changed WindowsApps folder ownership to my account, now my games won't start, or... - Similar Threads - changed WindowsApps folder

2. Need ownership of WindowsApps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need ownership of WindowsApps: I need to edit a file in a game because the game Scarlet Nexus doesn't provide the proper controller mapping. I have read people saying there is no reason you should need access to that well clearly you do. This is very frustrating when there is an easy valid fix that hasn't...
  3. Need ownership of WindowsApps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need ownership of WindowsApps: I need to edit a file in a game because the game Scarlet Nexus doesn't provide the proper controller mapping. I have read people saying there is no reason you should need access to that well clearly you do. This is very frustrating when there is an easy valid fix that hasn't...
  4. Need ownership of WindowsApps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing the ownership of WindowsApps folder and subfolders/files

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Changing the ownership of WindowsApps folder and subfolders/files: So I've had this issue for a long while. I can change the permission of the main WindowsApps folder, and it tells me I can change the permissions for its contents to match the same, but it just.... doesn't. I mod games, and so I want to try my hand at modding files in this...
  6. Took ownership but cannot make changes to WindowsApp folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Took ownership but cannot make changes to WindowsApp folder: Hi Guys, I'm hoping someone can give me a hand getting this to work, I really don't like how MS handles this. I'm using the Xbox Game Pass on Windows which, unfortunately, locks your games away in the dreadful WindowsApps folder. I would like to install some mods in some of...
  7. Taking ownership of windowsapps folder - failed to process?

in Windows 10 Support
    Taking ownership of windowsapps folder - failed to process?: So ive taken ownership without much of an issue on two of my pc's. my 3rd is fighting me tooth n nail. When i go to take ownership, it fails to process some stuff. I know when this happened on one of the other pc's, instead of the context menu item to take ownership, I had...
  8. Shared windowsapp and now my games won't open

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Shared windowsapp and now my games won't open: I Shared my windowsapp folder so my friend could get state of decay 2, now none of my microsoft games will open, and i have made so much changes to the folder permissions the games won't even open, astroneer gave a error "cannot open transcript file" now it is not opening at...
  9. Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...: running out of ideas, just can't seem to gain full control of folders or files in the windowsapps folder, i can delete files and folders but i can't rename files or folders or edit file content... for example when i try to edit a file name i get: "you require permission...
  10. WindowsApps folder ownership, in another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    WindowsApps folder ownership, in another drive: Hello, did someone found a way to take complete ownership (includig copy and paste files) of a "windowsApps" folder WHICH IS NOT in drive C? Thanks. 103008