Windows 10: I click "Backup Now" - but new C-drive files don't appear on my External Hard drive

Discus and support I click "Backup Now" - but new C-drive files don't appear on my External Hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 PC. I have 2 File Explorer windows open: - one shows my User files on the C-drive, and the new file(s) I created & stored there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Gary_S_1943, Feb 7, 2019.

1. I click "Backup Now" - but new C-drive files don't appear on my External Hard drive

Windows 10 PC. I have 2 File Explorer windows open:

- one shows my User files on the C-drive, and the new file(s) I created & stored there

- the other shows my User files on the 2 TB Western Digital External Hard Drive (EHD) that I use for Backups.

A few hours ago, I did a backup of the all the User files & folders on the C-drive, and transferred them to the External Hard Drive (EHD).

As a test, a moment ago I created & stored a new file in one of the User folders. I confirmed it IS on the C-drive.

I SHOULD see the new file - on the EHD - after I click "Backup Now."

Nothing. Rien. No new file is shown on the EHD. I re-booted & repeated this test (with a new new file each time) and did "Backup Now"

It would never initiate a backup; so each new file, as a test, did NOT get moved to the EHD.

Can someone help me diagnose & fix this issue?

Thank you,

Gary

:)

Gary_S_1943, Feb 7, 2019

2. How can I restore an external hard drive backup to a new external hard drive?

Original Title: Terrill Shanks

How can I restore an external hard drive backup to a new external hard drive?

I have all my photos on an external hard drive. Every month I hook up the external hard drive before my automatic back up and the external hard drive becomes part of the weekly back up.

My Photo external hard drive is acting up and I need to install (copy) the last back up to a new external hard drive.

All the back up file folders are Zip files. My C:\ drive is backed up first then the H:\ drive which is my external hard drive. Zip file # 15 contains the last part of the C:\ Drive files and starts the H:\ drive back up.

Can I just copy the Zip file folders that contain the H:\ drive to the new external hard drive and unzip them? If not, can I use the computer restore program to copy the files I want to the new external hard drive?

Thanks for any information you can provide regarding this problem.

Terrill -- my e-mail address is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

TerrillShanks, Feb 7, 2019
  3. smee Win User
    Hard Drive / External Drive + Backups Configuration?

Hey all,

So I'm thinking of changing around my hard drive configuration on my main comp.

At the moment I've got:
    1 Internal 500GB (OS, programs, file storage)
    2 External 500GB (not really doing much)
    1 External 320GB (for my Lightroom photo library)

What I'd like to do, is ditch the 320gb photo drive (its a 2.5").
    I'd use one external 500GB for Video files, the other 500GB for Photo files.
    Then I'd want two more to backup those files, and have them backed up on our NAS Server.

I'd also have an external 1-2TB drive for OS hard drive backups and such, but thats not part of what I'm going to ask.

So my question for you guys is this:
    Should my 500GB Video and 500GB Photo drives be internal? Or External?
    If I put them inside the computer, will I get faster speeds?
    If they're external, is eSATA/USB 2.0 going to be sufficient for Video editing? (Using full HD video files, editing in Adobe Premiere Pro)

Either way I will have two backup drives (one for video, one for photo) and they'll both be backed up on the server.

So, to have 4 External drives or to have 2 internal and 2 external? That is the question.
    What are the benefits of having them internal? What about having them external?

For me, being able to bring my Photo or Video drive with me isn't really a big deal, I probably will never do it. If I would need to though, I could just take one of the external backups.

Also, second question. What kind of backup software do you recommend that would basically make a complete clone of my HD's?

Does any of this make sense?
    Any help is appreciated. *Big Grin I click "Backup Now"  -  but new  C-drive files don't appear on my External Hard drive :D
    ~Smee

smee, Feb 7, 2019
  4. JanaDyck Win User

I click "Backup Now" - but new C-drive files don't appear on my External Hard drive

move files from my C drive to an external hard drive.

what steps do I take to move files from my C drive to an external hard drive. My C drive is almost full.

JanaDyck, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

I click "Backup Now" - but new C-drive files don't appear on my External Hard drive

1. I click "Backup Now" - but new C-drive files don't appear on my External Hard drive - Similar Threads - click Backup drive

2. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer: It works on another laptop running on Windows 10. I've tried all the fixes I could find online, but nothing seems to be working. It shows up on Device Manager. I did update the drivers. I uninstalled the device. Manually installed drivers from the manufacturer's website and...
  3. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer: It works on another laptop running on Windows 10. I've tried all the fixes I could find online, but nothing seems to be working. It shows up on Device Manager. I did update the drivers. I uninstalled the device. Manually installed drivers from the manufacturer's website and...
  4. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive backup: Hi everybody, I would like to back up an external hard drive. To this day at the end of the day I launch a backup program with which I save everything to another external hard drive. Due to a malfunction a few days ago I risked losing data both on the main hard disk and on...
  5. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive backup: Hi everybody, I would like to back up an external hard drive. To this day at the end of the day I launch a backup program with which I save everything to another external hard drive. Due to a malfunction a few days ago I risked losing data both on the main hard disk and on...
  6. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Accessing c drive on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing c drive on external hard drive: I really don't know how to explain this. But I have 2 computers. A desktop, and a laptop. The desktop had a lot of dust and one of the fans has blown and an electrical smell from the fan area started. I turned the computer off right away.Later, I removed the hard disk drive...
  8. backup to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    backup to external hard drive: The backup to external hard drive will not perform. All kinds of errors and it says it did not backup. What? Am I so stupid that I cannot tell it what drive to back up to? It wants to choose for me and then does not like it's choice. Where are the real settings so I can...
  9. cant't backup files to a new external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cant't backup files to a new external drive: I have a laptop with Windows 10 and am running out of disk space. I bought 2 Seagate external drives ( 2 separate occasions) and after once or twice my computer no longer recognized the drives. I returned them on 2 separate occasions. I then bought a WD external drive...
  10. External hard drive not appearing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive not appearing in file explorer: my windows 7 laptop died (no power). I purchase new windows 10 laptop and am attempting to read my former hard drive by making it an external drive. It is recognized as a device but I cannot view any of the files in file explorer. I am just attempting to recover some recent...