Windows 10: I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB

Discus and support I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! On Thursday, I bought a New SK Hynix 1 TB Hard Drive, figuring I'd upgrade my 3 year old Dell Inspiron 3567 laptop that understandably is slowing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DBum1015, Feb 27, 2021.

1. DBum1015 Win User

I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB

Hi! On Thursday, I bought a New SK Hynix 1 TB Hard Drive, figuring I'd upgrade my 3 year old Dell Inspiron 3567 laptop that understandably is slowing down over time. So I downloaded Macrium Reflect Free edition and connected my SSD via SATA to USB 3.0 cable to the USB 3.0 port on my laptop. The SSD is recognized under Device Manager as "JMicron Generic SCSI Disk Device" Screenshot below.

I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB 5b3cd049-0648-4f5e-a080-84bab79fe6c2?upload=true.png

And looking at that drive in Disk Management after the cloning software finished the cloning process, everything looks the same from HDD to SSD. Disk 0 being the HDD that's currently in my laptop, and Disk 2 that's the USB connected SSD. See Below

I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB 167dc593-a20a-4bc8-bbdd-b5305cb4d232?upload=true.png

All well and good right? Well I went into my system BIOS for my computer after the Macrium software finished the clone to modify the boot order to boot from the Cloned SSD Drive, but when Windows tries to boot from that, the loading circle would just go around for a bit, but then the circle would stop mid-spin and just freeze. This doesn't happen with my current HDD, because when I disconnect the SSD from the USB port from the laptop, it boots into windows just fine, although slow as I originally stated. I even went as far as rebuilding the 1st partition of the SSD with the DISKPART command in CMD, and rebuilt BCD for the drive successfully but to no avail. What else should I try to successfully boot from the SSD via USB, because I don't want to put the new drive in the laptop until I know for sure it boots up correctly. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sincerely,

Dustin

:)

DBum1015, Feb 27, 2021
  2. davnav Win User

new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following.

Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ?

Next I need help on how to clone the 1tb hdd to the
    Ssd drive, step by step and best software to use and have the ssd as the main drive then use the the 1hdd for storage.I just dont want to break my new system
    Thanks for your time.

davnav, Feb 27, 2021
  3. slance310 Win User
    New M.2 SSD clone offline and can't bring back online

Hi,

It took longer than expected to get things set up to test Macrium free version..

I was able to clone a 1TB HDD with Windows 10, and with additional files added to make it 200GB used space in size... I cloned this to a 256GB SSD with usable size of 238GB... Other than the fact that it took two hours to Clone, everything worked perfectly..
    This kind of surprised me actually...

I should note that once the cloning was complete, I immediately Shutdown the computer and unhooked the original 1TB HDD.. After again booting the computer, it booted on the first try to the 256GB SSD.. You may need to change the Boot Device in your Bios..
    Mine was set in a fashion that my compute automatically detected and used the 256GB SSD..

When you get the chance, give me an update on your situation..

slance310, Feb 27, 2021
  4. Smears Win User

I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB

Restore Image or Clone from HDD to new SSD?

I have a single, non-partitioned (C:\ drive only) 500GB HDD in a desktop PC, using approx. 80 percent of it. I want to install a 500GB SSD, and clone or restore an image of the HDD to it. Once that's complete and successful, I plan to wipe the 500GB HDD
    and then move my large libraries of media from the newly installed SSD to it. My future holds lots of video editing and compiling, so the extra storage will help, along with the better performance via the SSD (and upgraded RAM as well).

I'm unable to find after much research a definitive answer as to whether cloning the HDD to the SSD is better than restoring an image of the HDD to the SSD. I've read where cloning will carry over bad sectors and such where imaging will not. I think I'm
    leaning toward image restore, keeping a copy of it on an external 1TB drive I have, to which I can periodically do image backups of the new, separate drives.

I'd also like to find a tutorial re: the same. Thanks in advance for any help.

Smears, Feb 27, 2021
Thema:

1. I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB - Similar Threads - Cloned 1TB HDD

2. Cloned Windows10 1TB HDD to 500GB SSD - Ran CHKDSK and both hard drives won't start now!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned Windows10 1TB HDD to 500GB SSD - Ran CHKDSK and both hard drives won't start now!: Hello,FUTURE REFERENCE MATERIAL:BIOS SETTINGSUEFI → ENABLEDSECURED BOOT → EnabledFIRMWARE TPM → EnabledUEFI: Firmware Capsule Updates → EnabledWINDOWS SMM SECURITY MITIGATIONS → EnabledI was trying to clone a working bootable functioning 1TB HDD to a 500GB SSD using...
  3. Cloned Windows10 1TB HDD to 500GB SSD - Ran CHKDSK and both hard drives won't start now!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned Windows10 1TB HDD to 500GB SSD - Ran CHKDSK and both hard drives won't start now!: Hello,FUTURE REFERENCE MATERIAL:BIOS SETTINGSUEFI → ENABLEDSECURED BOOT → EnabledFIRMWARE TPM → EnabledUEFI: Firmware Capsule Updates → EnabledWINDOWS SMM SECURITY MITIGATIONS → EnabledI was trying to clone a working bootable functioning 1TB HDD to a 500GB SSD using...
  4. Cloned Windows10 1TB HDD to 500GB SSD - Ran CHKDSK and both hard drives won't start now!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. SSD Cloned but won't boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD Cloned but won't boot: Greetings, I am trying to upgrade my laptop SSD into a larger size NVME. After looking up how to do that, I used Macrium Reflect to clone my old SSD into the new one. I then replaced the old SSD with the new, but it did not boot. I checked this forum here and found a common...
  6. Cloned 128gb SSD to 1tb SSD w/ Lsoft Active Boot - Neither drive boots

Cloned 128gb SSD to 1tb SSD w/ Lsoft Active Boot - Neither drive boots: I was upgrading the SSD in a dell inspiron 13" laptop running windows 10 home from 128gb to 1tb. I used Lsoft Active boot to clone the disk. Once it completed, I booted to the cloned ssd while it was connected via usb to sata adapter cable, and it worked fine. I removed the...
  7. Cloning an SSD from an HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning an SSD from an HDD: Im planning on swapping out my laptops HDD with an SSD, and I was wondering if the OS clones to the new drive? Also I have a few programs that have licenses using ilok so would those carry over too or would i have to authenticate my software again? Thanks in advance!...
  8. Clone failed. New Win10 installation on 1TB SSD, old 1TB HDD in second slot of PC - how to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clone failed. New Win10 installation on 1TB SSD, old 1TB HDD in second slot of PC - how to...: There are files on the HDD that have only an unknown SID with "F" permissions. There also NTFS bugs living in the ACLs ~your permissions are not properly ordered~. In the list of ACLs only a single SID has Full power and that SID is unknown to the new Windows 10...
  9. new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed: Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following. Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ? Next I need help on...
  10. Cloning 1TB hdd to 25GB ssd? Can it be done?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cloning 1TB hdd to 25GB ssd? Can it be done?: Hello first off yes I know 1TB is way bigger than 525Gb but my dell inspiron 3650 isn't even a month old yet and I have only used 178 Gb total from the HDD. So my question is should I still be able to clone the hdd with 178Gb used(includes hidde to the ssd which has 475Gb...