Windows 10: I compared the speeds of a two-drive Storage Spaces mirror vs a Disk Management mirror and...

Discus and support I compared the speeds of a two-drive Storage Spaces mirror vs a Disk Management mirror and... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I'll try to keep this short. Basically, I've got two 5TB drives that I want to mirror and get the highest performance possible via software... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sevansup, Aug 20, 2020.

1. I compared the speeds of a two-drive Storage Spaces mirror vs a Disk Management mirror and...

I compared the speeds of a two-drive Storage Spaces mirror vs a Disk Management mirror and... YSfylm-pUcRD2ReXXakRfUUc6tWAgaCft-wxPLxlzZY.jpg

I'll try to keep this short. Basically, I've got two 5TB drives that I want to mirror and get the highest performance possible via software RAID. I'm not interested in a hardware RAID right now so I'd like to just focus this conversation on Storage Spaces vs Disk Management (both built into Windows). I've ran multiple speed tests using Crystal Disk Mark to see if I can spot a difference in performance when I mirror the drives using Storage Spaces vs Disk Management.

Using the default settings of Crystal Disk Mark I got these results (using the 128 MiB test option):

Storage Spaces Mirror

Disk Management Mirror

Comparing these two results led me to believe that Storage Spaces perform inferior to Disk Management. However, I then changed the Profile setting in Crystal Disk Mark from Default to Real World Performance and I got these results:

Storage Spaces Mirror (Real World Test)

Disk Management Mirror (Real World Test)

In this second case, I'd say Storage Spaces had the slight edge. I then performed an additional test by copying large video footage from an external drive to a Storage Spaces mirror vs Disk Management mirror, and my speeds were basically identical, though they could have just been bottlenecked by the external drive...

So what gives? In the regular testing, Disk Management smashed Storage Spaces pretty hard, but with the "Real World" profile, they're more on par. I guess what it comes down to now is, what, if any, advantages does one method have over the other? If not speed, what about other features? Any help would be appreciated.

submitted by /u/sevansup
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sevansup, Aug 20, 2020
  2. robsb Win User

Mirror Command in Disk Management or Storage Space commands

I am using Windows 10 Pro on a Desktop. I have a number of internal hard drives all set to AHCI and 1 USB 3 external drive. All my drives show up in devices and Disk Management and I am able to access all drives and made sure all drives include me as the
    administrator owner. The problem is I am rethinking how I want to store data and I have 2 identical Sata 3 drives, one of which has all my data and I cleared the second drive because I wanted to mirror the data drive on it. I also have 2 drives which I previously
    spanned and they show as spanned in Disk Management.

So my problem is this - Even though I have Win Pro the Mirror command is blanked out in Disk Management and if I go to manage storage spaces only the USB3 drive even shows up. I can't create any new storage spaces and none of my drives are even listed.

Any idea as to what is going on? I had installed a new MB, memory and Video card but all the drives are from a previous build. So that is why I went and checked ownership of every drive to make sure I was in control. Everything else on this computer is working
    fine.

robsb, Aug 20, 2020
  3. mmoalem Win User
    Storage spaces retired disk in mirror - drive seems ok

Hi all - have set up a mirror configuration in storage spaces of 2 4TB drives. I have got a waning that there is a problem and in the storage spaces GUI it shows as one drive been retired (a seagate ST4000DM000) and need replacing. I run a short test of the drive with SeaTools and it passed the test fine so I wonder what I should do and how: Is there a way to un-retire a disk and try it again? is my only option to buy a new disk? if I buy a disk do I need to unplug all the drives in the meantime for fear of corrupted data because the mirror is not working? when the drive is retired is it still used by storage spaces to mirror the data?
    any advice will be welcomed

mmoalem, Aug 20, 2020
  4. MarkMcK Win User

I compared the speeds of a two-drive Storage Spaces mirror vs a Disk Management mirror and...

Windows Storage Spaces -- Replacing a Failed Disk [Two-way Mirror]

Thought I'd pass along some testing I recently performed with Microsoft's Storage Spaces on Windows 10. I wanted to see the process of replacing a 'failed' drive in a Two-way mirror. The good news is that it's pretty simple.

I started out with a Windows 10 Home Desktop with an existing Two-Way mirror. The Desktop computer was configured with three drives -- A single 500 GB SSD hosting the operating system and two identical 1 TB SSDs hosting my data on a Microsoft Storage Spaces Two-way mirror.

In looking at Control Panel; Storage Spaces... This was the original set-up...

I compared the speeds of a two-drive Storage Spaces mirror vs a Disk Management mirror and... [​IMG]

From here I simulated a disk 'failure' by disconnecting one of my 1 TB SSD's [SamsungSSD2] from my Desktop's motherboard SATA port. This created a 'Notification' about the Storage Space

I compared the speeds of a two-drive Storage Spaces mirror vs a Disk Management mirror and... [​IMG]

Although now 'missing' SSD2, the Storage Space could still be accessed normally thru Explorer and you could read/write files as needed without any problems. No changes were evident in Disk Management either.

Now on to installing a replacement drive. In my case a duplicate SSD which I had available for this 'test'.

In looking at Control Panel; Storage Spaces you can see that the Desktop computer was operating with a 'Reduced Resiliency' Two-way mirror Storage Space. With the specific problem being 'SamsungSSD2'

At this point I attached the replacement SSD to the computer followed by selecting 'Add drives' in Manage Storage Spaces

Storage Spaces automatically found my replacement drive which I added to the Pool. Manage Storage Spaces reflected the increased Pool capacity due to the added drive which it recognized with a status of 'OK'

Need to clean-up the configuration by deleting the failed SamsungSSD2 disk from the Two-way mirror Storage Space.

Manage Storage Spaces is now showing the 'new' configuration with SamsungSSD1 and the replacement 'Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB' Physical Drives

Now we're off and running with a repaired Two-way mirror and our replacement drive

MarkMcK, Aug 20, 2020
Thema:

I compared the speeds of a two-drive Storage Spaces mirror vs a Disk Management mirror and...

1. I compared the speeds of a two-drive Storage Spaces mirror vs a Disk Management mirror and... - Similar Threads - compared speeds drive

2. Storage Space Mirror

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Space Mirror: I have a two way mirror with two external harddrives and I'm wondering how to recover the files if one of them crashes. I've tried to plug one of the drives into another computer and it won't recognize it. How will I get my files if one of them fails?...
  3. Storage Space Mirror

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Space Mirror: I have a two way mirror with two external harddrives and I'm wondering how to recover the files if one of them crashes. I've tried to plug one of the drives into another computer and it won't recognize it. How will I get my files if one of them fails?...
  4. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces and mirroring: If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\ which has data on it. I want to add another drive for D to mirror to. Both drives are the same size, is this possible or will...
  5. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces and mirroring: If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\ which has data on it. I want to add another drive for D to mirror to. Both drives are the same size, is this possible or will...
  6. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces

Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces: If I create a Storage Space and create mirrored drives, does Storage Spaces alert me if one drive fails, or would Windows allow me to continue using the system blindly until both drives fail?...
  8. Storage spaces Mirrored drives inaccessable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Storage spaces Mirrored drives inaccessable: I have two 8GB drives in a mirrored storage space. It was working fine but now the storage space is inaccessible and is not visible when I go into 'Disk Management'. When I go into 'Manage Storage Spaces' it shows an error on one drive and says "Error, consider replacing"....
  9. error "No Capacity" in "Storage Spaces" with a Mirrored storage space 2 drives in mirror

error "No Capacity" in "Storage Spaces" with a Mirrored storage space 2 drives in mirror: I get an error message "No Capacity" in the Storage Spaces section of windows 10 with a mirrored storage space. The Storage Space is formatted in ReFS . Both drives are functioning put both drives in another computer . How can I repair this storage space ?...
  10. Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Storage Spaces Mirror 2 Drives?: I'm hoping someone here might have experience with mirroring 2 drives in Windows 10. I'm reading How-to's but some of my basic questions remain unanswered. I have an SSD (C) used for the OS and loading apps and a 2TB drive that holds for all my files, images and videos,...