Windows 10: I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset

Discus and support I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I found the Cortana feature extremely creepy and turned it off COMPLETELY. Now I would like to use her for dictation. I don't remember what I did to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hannele2, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Hannele2 Win User

I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset

I found the Cortana feature extremely creepy and turned it off COMPLETELY. Now I would like to use her for dictation.

I don't remember what I did to disable it, but I would have gone for the most brutal method... Now it is completely missing from my computer.. No process running, no option in start menu.

• I already checked the group policy and registry settings and that is not how I turned it off. It is as if Cortana never existed.
    • I even tried re-installing the Cortana package from Powershell... Still no sign of Cortana...
    I am using Windows UK edition with UK settings. I know Cortana was there when I first installed Windows 10.
    Is there anything else I can try?

Please do not advise me to perform a clean re-install of Windows!

:)

Hannele2, Jun 29, 2019

2. CORTANA

None of the method listed here works.

This effectively killed Cortana process, but disabled my start menu along with it.

[How To] Completely Disable Cortana In Windows 10

Any suggestions that kills Cortana, but leave my start menu alive?

Shigeki

ShigekiOka, Jun 29, 2019
  3. mibaup Win User
    Any working way to remove Cortana?

Is there a way to completely remove Cortana? I disabled it, but it keeps running in the background.
    I did find some suggestions to remove it, but it also removes the search and causes problems to other stuff.
    So is there a working way by now to do that?

Thanks!

mibaup, Jun 29, 2019
  4. mibaup Win User

Any working way to remove Cortana?

Is there a way to do that without downloading the reg file? (Can I do that myself?)
    Also, will that stop the Cortana background process?
    Because I already disabled Cortana itself alone, what you're suggesting is additional. or just another way to disable Cortana but leaving it working in the background?*Huh

mibaup, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

1. I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset - Similar Threads - completely killed Cortana

2. I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset: I found the Cortana feature extremely creepy and turned it off COMPLETELY. Now I would like to use her for dictation. I don't remember what I did to disable it, but I would have gone for the most brutal method... Now it is completely missing from my computer.. No process...
  3. No way to reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No way to reset: Lets say that i own a old laptop that runs Windows 10 that i bought from best buy. I went to use it again, but i Forgot the password to the account/computer so i tried to reclaim it. But after 3 times, Microsoft's automatic system gave up. After that, i decided to try and...
  4. How DID I kill Cortana?

How DID I kill Cortana?: There are 2 PCs - my Old PC and my New PC. Both are running Windows 10 v1809. Old PC is running Home Edition, New PC is running Pro Edition Somehow, I was able to completely remove Cortana from my Search App on Old PC. But I can't for the life of me remember how I did that....
  5. How DID I kill Cortana?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How DID I kill Cortana?: There are 2 PCs - my Old PC and my New PC. Both are running Windows 10 v1809. Old PC is running Home Edition, New PC is running Pro Edition Somehow, I was able to completely remove Cortana from my Search App on Old PC. But I can't for the life of me remember how I did that....
  6. Is microsoft killing cortana

Is microsoft killing cortana: Is Microsoft killing Cortana because I saw a news article that it is so is it true https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-microsoft-killing-cortana/38cb7a9c-359f-433b-a3d5-cf3fe1e5b5db
  7. How do I RESET my microphone to work with Cortana?

How do I RESET my microphone to work with Cortana?: When I turned on Cortana for the first time, I was prompted to read a certain sentence out loud in order for my microphone to be automatically set up and adapted to Cortana. Because I was a bit nervous using Win 10 for the first time, I said Hello Hello Hello in stead of the...
  8. Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?

Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?: So I just installed Windows 10, everything seems to be running great at the moment except for 1 thing, Cortana is still running in the background (taking up around ~30MBs of RAM), even after following Brink's tutorial (link). Is there a way to disable it completely? 9491
  9. I thought I'd killed CORTANA, - it came back to life after an update !

I thought I'd killed CORTANA, - it came back to life after an update !: So, when I first upgraded to Win10, I went through a hundred steps to make sure that Cortana was removed from my machine. I mean, deep into the settings, command prompt stuff, everything. I did check and it seemed to have been eradicated. It wasn't in the background...
  10. Any working way to remove Cortana?

Any working way to remove Cortana?: Is there a way to completely remove Cortana? I disabled it, but it keeps running in the background. I did find some suggestions to remove it, but it also removes the search and causes problems to other stuff. So is there a working way by now to do that? Thanks! 38858