Windows 10: I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset

Discus and support I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I found the Cortana feature extremely creepy and turned it off COMPLETELY. Now I would like to use her for dictation. I don't remember what I did to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hannele2, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Hannele2 Win User

I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset

I found the Cortana feature extremely creepy and turned it off COMPLETELY. Now I would like to use her for dictation.

I don't remember what I did to disable it, but I would have gone for the most brutal method... Now it is completely missing from my computer.. No process running, no option in start menu.

• I already checked the group policy and registry settings and that is not how I turned it off. It is as if Cortana never existed.
    • I even tried re-installing the Cortana package from Powershell... Still no sign of Cortana...
    I am using Windows UK edition with UK settings. I know Cortana was there when I first installed Windows 10.
    Is there anything else I can try?

Please do not advise me to perform a clean re-install of Windows!

:)

Hannele2, Jun 29, 2019

2. CORTANA

None of the method listed here works.

This effectively killed Cortana process, but disabled my start menu along with it.

[How To] Completely Disable Cortana In Windows 10

Any suggestions that kills Cortana, but leave my start menu alive?

Shigeki

ShigekiOka, Jun 29, 2019
  3. mibaup Win User
    Any working way to remove Cortana?

Is there a way to completely remove Cortana? I disabled it, but it keeps running in the background.
    I did find some suggestions to remove it, but it also removes the search and causes problems to other stuff.
    So is there a working way by now to do that?

Thanks!

mibaup, Jun 29, 2019
  4. mibaup Win User

Any working way to remove Cortana?

Is there a way to do that without downloading the reg file? (Can I do that myself?)
    Also, will that stop the Cortana background process?
    Because I already disabled Cortana itself alone, what you're suggesting is additional. or just another way to disable Cortana but leaving it working in the background?*Huh

mibaup, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

1. I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset - Similar Threads - completely killed Cortana

2. Is Cortana down? Nothing is working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Cortana down? Nothing is working.: Hey, the Cortana service isn't working on every device today. None of these devices work with Cortana. The audio device Dolby Atmos is fine, even the microphone built-in is working fine. But Cortana and some Microsoft services are all down. Has anyone got to fix this mess...
  3. Is Cortana down? Nothing is working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Cortana down? Nothing is working.: Hey, the Cortana service isn't working on every device today. None of these devices work with Cortana. The audio device Dolby Atmos is fine, even the microphone built-in is working fine. But Cortana and some Microsoft services are all down. Has anyone got to fix this mess...
  4. Is Cortana down? Nothing is working.

in Cortana
  5. D: drive completely gone, nothing works to bring it back

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D: drive completely gone, nothing works to bring it back: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 on a HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-dk0xxx. I can supply further system information if necessary. I noticed that while trying to install a game from Steam, Steam was repeatedly displaying a disk write error -...
  6. D: drive completely gone, nothing works to bring it back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D: drive completely gone, nothing works to bring it back: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 on a HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-dk0xxx. I can supply further system information if necessary. I noticed that while trying to install a game from Steam, Steam was repeatedly displaying a disk write error -...
  7. Is there a way to reset cortana?

Is there a way to reset cortana?: For some reason cortana hangs on the loading screen, that's annoying. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-reset-cortana/dc48fbcf-e34a-4cd8-88b9-cbf139afbf90
  8. Is there a way to make Cortana completely silent?

in Cortana
    Is there a way to make Cortana completely silent?: I don't wish to hear her annoying voice, I want to get answers ONLY in written form. I searched the whole Internet and found no answer. Please don't tell me I'm the only person on this planet who wants to have that option available. There must be a way, through registry...
  9. I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset

I completely killed Cortana, way back... nothing works for reset: I found the Cortana feature extremely creepy and turned it off COMPLETELY. Now I would like to use her for dictation. I don't remember what I did to disable it, but I would have gone for the most brutal method... Now it is completely missing from my computer.. No process...
  10. Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?

Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?: So I just installed Windows 10, everything seems to be running great at the moment except for 1 thing, Cortana is still running in the background (taking up around ~30MBs of RAM), even after following Brink's tutorial (link). Is there a way to disable it completely? 9491