Windows 10: I created a user name as "Jeremy" in Windows 10 Pro, but it created a user folder named...

Discus and support I created a user name as "Jeremy" in Windows 10 Pro, but it created a user folder named... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do I change it? It is very annoying with the name not appearing correctly or not being given an option to change this. Microsoft do not tell me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AToor, Sep 7, 2018.

1. AToor Win User

I created a user name as "Jeremy" in Windows 10 Pro, but it created a user folder named...

How do I change it?

It is very annoying with the name not appearing correctly or not being given an option to change this.

Microsoft do not tell me it is by design! This is not a great design.

It used to work in the previous versions; so don't make it worse in new versions.

:)

AToor, Sep 7, 2018

2. User Account Folder Name

Here's a workaround to rename the user account folder:

• Unlink your Microsoft Account from your Windows 10 device which will result for your account to be converted as a Local account.
    • Create a new Local account, name it using your preferred account and folder name then set it as Administrator.
    • Sign in to your Windows 10 device using the newly created local admin account.
    • Link your Microsoft Account to the newly created local admin account.

After doing the steps above, check if this resolves your concern. If so, migrate all your files from the old account to the new user account and delete the previous one.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gerdimae Sal, Sep 7, 2018
  3. User Name

Hi Bradford,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are willing to have your name instead of email address at login screen.
    If you are using Microsoft account for logging to the system then it will be hard to remove email address and show your name only. However, if you want then you may create new user profile as a local account with administrator permission. In this account
    you may keep the name you want.

For creating new user profile you may refer to the steps provided below.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type control userpasswords2 and click OK

• Click on add under users tab

• Click the option, "Sign-in without a Microsoft account

• Click on Local account

• Choose a name for the account

• Add password if you want to

• Apply and click OK.

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below and see if it helps.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Sep 7, 2018
  4. I created a user name as "Jeremy" in Windows 10 Pro, but it created a user folder named...

User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

I created a user name as "Jeremy" in Windows 10 Pro, but it created a user folder named...

1. I created a user name as "Jeremy" in Windows 10 Pro, but it created a user folder named... - Similar Threads - created user name

2. Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to account name which ended up creating two user...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to account name which ended up creating two user...: Tried to change "User" name in C:\Users\User to match with my account name. But it ended up creating two folders in C:\Users like "User" and "Rahul reddy" folder name that I tried changing name to splitting files between both folders. I tried to restore my device multiple...
  3. Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to account name which ended up creating two user...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to account name which ended up creating two user...: Tried to change "User" name in C:\Users\User to match with my account name. But it ended up creating two folders in C:\Users like "User" and "Rahul reddy" folder name that I tried changing name to splitting files between both folders. I tried to restore my device multiple...
  4. Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to account name which ended up creating two user...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Users folder name does name match user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users folder name does name match user name: I'm on Windows 11 and did a fresh install, logged in with my Microsoft account but all my user info is locked.The C:\Users profile name is a portion of the email address associated with my Microsoft account and not my actual name.The netplwiz options are locked and shows my...
  6. Users folder name does name match user name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users folder name does name match user name: I'm on Windows 11 and did a fresh install, logged in with my Microsoft account but all my user info is locked.The C:\Users profile name is a portion of the email address associated with my Microsoft account and not my actual name.The netplwiz options are locked and shows my...
  7. Windows 10 install creates a user file folder named "bioni"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install creates a user file folder named "bioni": Each time I install windows 10 on my pc it creates a user file named "bioni". Does anyone know why this folder exists.I would appreciate any help.Thank You for your time.Mike...
  8. User name folder and CMD user name incorrect.

in Windows 10 Customization
    User name folder and CMD user name incorrect.: Here is the issue. I might input wrong username years ago when I got my last laptop during registration. The wrong user name might sync to windows cloud or somewhere then I was never able to correct it. Even I change the user name manually by modifying the registry by logging...
  9. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  10. User folder name...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User folder name...: I've re-installed Win10 Home via the media creation tool. Everything is where it should be and my account is working just fine. But... For some reason my personal folder under C:/Users is named after the first five letters of my Email instead of my real first name, which is...