Windows 10: I deleted a partition and I created a new one and I installed Windows but... I did it in...

Discus and support I deleted a partition and I created a new one and I installed Windows but... I did it in... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; First, I did this many times and I always disconnected the hard drives with data to avoid making mistakes. I opened the case and I got distracted and i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LetiMatti, Oct 22, 2020.

1. LetiMatti Win User

I deleted a partition and I created a new one and I installed Windows but... I did it in...

First, I did this many times and I always disconnected the hard drives with data to avoid making mistakes. I opened the case and I got distracted and i made a big mistake. I wanted to do a clean installation of windows 10, I backed up my data in C\ and after booting the computer from a usb drive, started to installed windows, delete the disk 0 in my mind was C that already back up all the data, after deleting the partition, I partitioned it again and selected it to install windows.

When I realized what I did, I start trying all the different software to recover a partition, but they find the new partitions and not the previous ones. Is my data gone?

the software I tried are finding the current partition and files from the new windows installation but not the old data.

Anything will help!

In the "where do you want to install windows" I delete the partition of the disk and I created a new one on the same disk. My intention was to delete all the data... : but for another disk... I hope I am providing all the details, let me know if you need additional data.

:)

LetiMatti, Oct 22, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 22, 2020
  3. Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Oct 22, 2020
  4. I deleted a partition and I created a new one and I installed Windows but... I did it in...

Boot windows installation within a partition?

Damnit, I knew thats what you wanted with your first post! I deleted my post because JMCSLOB confused me lol.

Hm, if you Follow this guide (Replace words "flash driive" with 160GB hard drive) How to Create a Bootable Windows 7 or Vista USB Drive for both partitions and then to do a dummy install of windows 8 on the last part of the HDD it should give you the option to boot Windows 7/8 Installer or boot into windows 8.
    Edit: On step 4 you will want to make sure you size the partition correctly... or you can use the windows gui tool in control panel.

Once you get that far you can just delete windows 8 from the boot menu using MSCONFIG and delete the partition.

slyfox2151, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

I deleted a partition and I created a new one and I installed Windows but... I did it in...

1. I deleted a partition and I created a new one and I installed Windows but... I did it in... - Similar Threads - deleted partition created

2. How do I create a windows RE partition after deleting my old one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create a windows RE partition after deleting my old one?: I have been trying to fix the error that prevents me from downloading the KB5034441 update and I came across the following thread that would let me increase the size of the windows RE partition and then allow me to create a larger one, therefore allowing me to install the...
  3. How do I create a windows RE partition after deleting my old one?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I create a windows RE partition after deleting my old one?: I have been trying to fix the error that prevents me from downloading the KB5034441 update and I came across the following thread that would let me increase the size of the windows RE partition and then allow me to create a larger one, therefore allowing me to install the...
  4. I deleted my recovery partition using diskpart and I did not do it in administrator mode. I...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I deleted my recovery partition using diskpart and I did not do it in administrator mode. I...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/VrManWithThePlan [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lvp3j6/i_deleted_my_recovery_partition_using_diskpart/
  5. Did I delete the Windows Recovery Partition?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Did I delete the Windows Recovery Partition?: Hello and thanks for taking a look at my issue. Attached please see my partitions. Thanks! p.s. I was hoping to reset my install to factory settings and I don't have a recovery CD but I do have my manufacturer's drivers on a CD. [img] 159457
  6. How can i create a new recovery partition (accidentally deleted) for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can i create a new recovery partition (accidentally deleted) for Windows 10?: I accidentally deleted the recovery partition (500mb) for Windows 10. My PC is custom built so it wasn't a OEM recovery partition in most laptops. Now, i'm freak out about the consequences in the long run. The weird thing is i was able to delete and format it in Window's Disk...
  7. I cant create a partition

I cant create a partition: when i type "create partition primary" in command prompt it says diskpart has ecountered an error: Incorrect function. see the system Event og for mor information please help i need to format my disk so i can install windows 10...
  8. Account I did not create

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Account I did not create: I have discovered that a Microsoft account has been established in my name and subscriptions paid for using my bosses credit card. This is ruining my life!!!!!! How do I get rid of it? How do I release my device from the account and shut it down?? I have called "Microsoft"...
  9. Can I delete one EFI partition?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can I delete one EFI partition?: Hi at all! I have used this procedure to move from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. Now msinfo32 shows UEFI, but I have two EFI partitions. See here: [img] Can I delete the third partition, without making my system unbootable? Thanks in advance! 75670
  10. Trying to create new disk partition, already 4 - Can I delete one?

Trying to create new disk partition, already 4 - Can I delete one?: I'm trying to dual boot a Linux OS with my Windows 10 but there's already 4 partitions and it seems I can't create a new one for the Linux. Is it safe to delete one or these or another way to make a new partition? Where did these extra partitions come from anyways?...