Windows 10: I deleted my EFI partition where was the bootloader for Windows

Discus and support I deleted my EFI partition where was the bootloader for Windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was installing Artix Linux and mounted Windows boot partition. By mistake, I run "rm /mnt -rf" /mnt is where I mounted the EFI partition. How can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DankWarrior, Nov 1, 2020.

1. I deleted my EFI partition where was the bootloader for Windows

I was installing Artix Linux and mounted Windows boot partition. By mistake, I run "rm /mnt -rf" /mnt is where I mounted the EFI partition. How can I add a boot entry for Windows?

:)

DankWarrior, Nov 1, 2020
  2. trog100 Win User

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile I deleted my EFI partition where was the bootloader for Windows :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Nov 1, 2020
  3. whatitdo6 Win User
    How To Fix The Windows 10 Bootloader

THANK YOU. This solved it. I think this was mentioned earlier by you or someone else perhaps but I've messed around with it enough now where I vaguely understood what the commands were doing. I actually had to delete the partition, recreate it, and re write the BCD as you suggested in Step 3.

Shoutout to @topgundcp I'm sure that last method you suggested would have worked too, but now I understand how to do it manually, so I learned something.

Also, thank you @NavyLCDR for your help as well.

I have ONE last question, any SAFE way to remove the old ubuntu EFI entries that are present in my UEFI as boot options?

edit: Nvm, figured it out. For anyone else wanting to know how to remove old EFI boot entries, use "EasyUEFI" it is super easy. Took like 10 seconds after install. I DID have two identical looking EFI's for my samsung ssd, one of them, in the details, showed that it had no file path. I assumed that was my old broken one and deleted it, must have been correct bc my computer boots up perfect.

Thanks!!!

whatitdo6, Nov 1, 2020
  4. robo731 Win User

I deleted my EFI partition where was the bootloader for Windows

EFI partition deleted

While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows' bootloader. I have a bootable usb with windows 10 on it.

Can I just run Code:
    from the install media? Or are there other steps I need to take?

Is there some GUI recovery type tool that will do it on the install media?

robo731, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

I deleted my EFI partition where was the bootloader for Windows

1. I deleted my EFI partition where was the bootloader for Windows - Similar Threads - deleted EFI partition

2. Can I delete My 16MB Reserved Partition to Increase My EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I delete My 16MB Reserved Partition to Increase My EFI Partition: Hi All,I want to increase my EFI Partition from 100MB to around 1GB so I can install Windows 11.It is on an SSD which is 500GB.However I have been unable to come up with a way to do so due to a 16MB system reserved partition in the way that I dont know what it does. Can I...
  3. Can I delete My 16MB Reserved Partition to Increase My EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I delete My 16MB Reserved Partition to Increase My EFI Partition: Hi All,I want to increase my EFI Partition from 100MB to around 1GB so I can install Windows 11.It is on an SSD which is 500GB.However I have been unable to come up with a way to do so due to a 16MB system reserved partition in the way that I dont know what it does. Can I...
  4. Should I delete this EFI Partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I delete this EFI Partition?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/not_sahil [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lkgptx/should_i_delete_this_efi_partition/
  5. Deleting Debian bootloader from Windows 10 EFI partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting Debian bootloader from Windows 10 EFI partition: Yes there is a way to restore EFI partition, but it is risky and not 100% it will always work... I installed debian as dual boot with Windows 10. I was assured on their forums, it won't put grub to Windows 10 efi partition and i created its efi partition for it on second...
  6. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  7. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  8. Can I delete one EFI partition?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can I delete one EFI partition?: Hi at all! I have used this procedure to move from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. Now msinfo32 shows UEFI, but I have two EFI partitions. See here: [img] Can I delete the third partition, without making my system unbootable? Thanks in advance! 75670
  9. fat32 efi partition on OS disk and bootloader showing in bios

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    fat32 efi partition on OS disk and bootloader showing in bios: after i put a friends laptop hd in my computer and fixed his. i have a strange little 99MB fat32 efi volume\partition on the OS disk. and i never saw it before. and i have 2 boot loaders in bios. wont boot without one of them being selected. is it supposed to be there? can...
  10. Disable EFI bootloader Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable EFI bootloader Windows 10: Hello guys, i have a problem regarding dual-booting Windows 10 along Ubuntu. After installing Windows 10 and Ubuntu after it, i'm no longer able to boot into Ubuntu, it starst directly into Windows 10. In Windows 8.1, i could chose at startup which OS to run (using Linux's...