Windows 10: I deleted my hosts file in the computer.

Discus and support I deleted my hosts file in the computer. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I deleted my hosts file in the computer. How do I replace or retreat it. The administrative system is not allowing me to place a text file in the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GowthamCS, Sep 8, 2020.

1. GowthamCS Win User

I deleted my hosts file in the computer.

How do I replace or retreat it.

The administrative system is not allowing me to place a text file in the 'etc' folder.

What should I do?

If you could provide a link to download the host file or another solution it would be helpful.

Thank you.

:)

GowthamCS, Sep 8, 2020
  2. Louie Del Win User

Modern setup host

Hi Hermie,

Regarding your concern with the deleted Modern Setup Host file, we’d like to ask the following questions so we can isolate it at the same time:

• What particular action that you’re trying to perform at the time that it was accidentally deleted.?
    • May we know where and how it was deleted on your computer?
    • Were you able to check if the deleted file can be found in the
      Recycle bin?

As an initial step, we suggest that perform a DISM command. This will help repairing possible system file corruptions. Follow these steps:

• Type command in the search box.
    • Right-click on the result and select Run as administrator.
    • Type this command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • Press Enter.
    • Close the Command Prompt windows and check if changes were made related to the Modern Setup Host file.

We'll wait for your update after trying the steps.

Louie Del, Sep 8, 2020
  3. Hosts file editing

I have to jump in and say I use, and have used the host file for years. It's an easy way to take stress off of old name servers. I don't add everything, but major shares I do add to the host file. I've used the host file for some tunneling as well. I try to optimize my network as much as possible and I have a solid network. But Easy Rhino is right as well, you'll want to have everything he suggested as well. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Sep 8, 2020
  4. I deleted my hosts file in the computer.

Browser /connection security, hosts file and DNS service

You're saying that Open DNS(and other services like it) house their own list of known 'bad' sites, and by using their DNS servers, it will filter out sites based on that list?

Would you believe I was already using Open DNS servers.
    This means the hosts file is moot?

And furthering that, if there's any bespoke sites I want to manually add, I could do it through my router directly.

Thus I can empty my local hosts file and turn my DNS service back on?

newconroer, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

1. I deleted my hosts file in the computer. - Similar Threads - deleted hosts file

2. I deleted files off onedrive and it deleted files off of my personal computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I deleted files off onedrive and it deleted files off of my personal computer: The title says most of it, I deleted files off of my one drive and it deleted stuff off of my laptop's documents and desktop folders. I went to recycle bin in one drive, and restored most files there, but when I went to restore files from recycle bin on my computer, they...
  3. I deleted files off onedrive and it deleted files off of my personal computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I deleted files off onedrive and it deleted files off of my personal computer: The title says most of it, I deleted files off of my one drive and it deleted stuff off of my laptop's documents and desktop folders. I went to recycle bin in one drive, and restored most files there, but when I went to restore files from recycle bin on my computer, they...
  4. I deleted files off onedrive and it deleted files off of my personal computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. If I delete one of my accounts on my Pc, does it delete any files on my computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If I delete one of my accounts on my Pc, does it delete any files on my computer?: When I press ''delete account'' it says it will also delete any data associated with this account and I don't know if it only deletes stuff from like the cloud or my computer....
  6. My computer is deleting files

My computer is deleting files: Hi! My computer is deleting some of files. For example I have a YouTube channel and I record videos with my phone and share it to my PC.Then I upload the video. But 3-4 months ago my computer started to delete my videos and it deleted some of my other files. I formatted 2-3...
  7. If I delete a login from my computer will I lose my files?

in Windows 10 Customization
    If I delete a login from my computer will I lose my files?: I have 2 Microsoft logins on my computer if I delete one of them will I lose all of my files? What files will I lose, and will I lose some of my programs? Please respond back to *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  8. Computer deleting files

Computer deleting files: My computer is trying to delete all its files as soon as I click on a file, it is moved to the trash https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-deleting-files/ecdf833f-d099-4809-9a5d-48093049558e
  9. Can't delete files in my computer

Can't delete files in my computer: There are a few files on my computer that I would like to delete - I right click on the file and click on delete; it does absolutely nothing. I am logged in as the administrator. Even tried to delete the files via OneDrive since they are on there as well - no luck. I have...
  10. My Hosts file is a system file

My Hosts file is a system file: My hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc is a system folder and when i edit it it not like what is being show to other users on Youtube and here in Microsoft Community and i'm worry about edit it so i need a solution for this. PS : I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1809...