Windows 10: I deleted the C:/Users/Public folder because I'm an idiot

Discus and support I deleted the C:/Users/Public folder because I'm an idiot in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm the only user of my PC so I didn't think I needed a public folder and a default folder, just my user profile folder. I needed the space so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dalek_cyber, May 23, 2020.

1. I deleted the C:/Users/Public folder because I'm an idiot

I'm the only user of my PC so I didn't think I needed a public folder and a default folder, just my user profile folder. I needed the space so I deleted it then dumped it from the recycling bin.

It had some steam folders on it which I now learned I need to operate steam, funny how that works out.

Is there a way to get the public folder back (I understand now there's important things on it besides the steam folder!) without doing a system restore?

submitted by /u/dalek_cyber
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dalek_cyber, May 23, 2020
  2. scopio Win User

Moving Public Folder to another drive

I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space.
    The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files in the
    C:\Users\Public\SongPro5 folder and does not give the option to be installed software
    on another drive.
    I have searched the web if and how the Public folder can be moved to another drive and found that it can be done using the following steps;

1. COPY (don’t MOVE) the C:\USERS\PUBLIC folder to a different disk or partition
    2. Click the START button and type REGEDIT (not case sensitive) and press enter
    3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS NT > CURRENT VERSION > PROFILE LIST
    4. Double click on PUBLIC
    5. Correct the path
    6. Reboot the PC
    7. Go to C:\USERS\PUBLIC and delete everything
    Can someone here please confirm if the SongPro software is installed in C:\Users\Programs File (x86) (the SSD) and the path Public\SongPro5 folder moved to another folder will work?

I deleted the C:/Users/Public folder because I'm an idiot [​IMG]

scopio, May 23, 2020
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink I deleted the C:/Users/Public folder because I'm an idiot ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, May 23, 2020
  4. Nicrite Win User

I deleted the C:/Users/Public folder because I'm an idiot

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, May 23, 2020
Thema:

I deleted the C:/Users/Public folder because I'm an idiot

1. I deleted the C:/Users/Public folder because I'm an idiot - Similar Threads - deleted Users Public

2. Am I able to delete my C:\Users\Public\Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Am I able to delete my C:\Users\Public\Documents: I wanted to be able to download csgo but I do not have enough space. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/am-i-able-to-delete-my-cuserspublicdocuments/894b51a0-ab67-49f1-b1ab-f370c9337c8c
  3. Am I able to delete my C:\Users\Public\Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Am I able to delete my C:\Users\Public\Documents: I wanted to be able to download csgo but I do not have enough space. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/am-i-able-to-delete-my-cuserspublicdocuments/894b51a0-ab67-49f1-b1ab-f370c9337c8c
  4. Am I able to delete my C:\Users\Public\Documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting an old user's folder in C:\Users: Hello,I would like to delete an old user's folder in C:\Users but there is the folder AppData and the file NTUSER.DAT which prevent me from doing so. Is there a solution to this problem I've also tried taking ownership of the folder, but it doesn't fix my...
  6. does anything happen if i delete C:\Users\Public\Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does anything happen if i delete C:\Users\Public\Documents: so i wanted ot free some space up so i can get destiny 2,and C:\Users\Public\Documents is 14 gigs,i wanted to know what can i delete and what i can not delete...
  7. does anything happen if i delete C:\Users\Public\Documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does anything happen if i delete C:\Users\Public\Documents: so i wanted ot free some space up so i can get destiny 2,and C:\Users\Public\Documents is 14 gigs,i wanted to know what can i delete and what i can not delete...
  8. c:\users\public\public documents\xxxxx

c:\users\public\public documents\xxxxx: when running a .bat file with the following script, the copy fails. --- robocopy "c:\users\public\public documents\foldername" "e:\copyfolder" /mir /eta /r:1 /w:1 /log:c:\robolog\logfile.txt However, when running the same script with 'public documents' changed to...
  9. I'm an idiot

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I'm an idiot: So I was **** around with my computer and tried to download enterprise like the idiot I am. I got it but than I realized one thing, my product key was gone! Somebody please tell my how to activate my account or switch it back to home after doing something stupid like that....
  10. C:\Users\Public disappeared

C:\Users\Public disappeared: It actually became hidden. I can see it when I enable both hidden files and hidden protected operating system files together. When I go to folder properties, the option to unhide the folder is greyed out. Read only is also enabled and I can't disable it. I have latest...