Windows 10: I deleted Windows.old but it still takes up space

Discus and support I deleted Windows.old but it still takes up space in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I recently updated my windows 10 pro to the 1909 version. Then i went to disk cleanup and chose the "windows update cleanup" option and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Doki_420, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Doki_420 Win User

I deleted Windows.old but it still takes up space

Hello. I recently updated my windows 10 pro to the 1909 version. Then i went to disk cleanup and chose the "windows update cleanup" option and it deleted the folder Windows.old but it didnt free up space as much as it should. I only have like 33 gigs worth of stuff out of 240more like 222gb ssd and it is taking up more space. I should have 189 gigs or so but it shows as 169 gigs. Does some know the solution to this problem?

:)

Doki_420, Mar 14, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

1. Did you empty the recycle bin ? If not, empty it.
    2. Delete the contents under: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
      Those are downloaded Windows Updates files and already installed.
    3. Open Admin command, copy and paste the line below then run:
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
      This should remove all the no longer used by component store. Will take a while to run.

topgundcp, Mar 14, 2020
  3. Deleting Old Windows

How can the previous version of Windows be deleted after an update? "2.06 GB free of 27.7 GB" means the computer is running low on storage space. Old Windows locks up 11.1 GB in 21,312 folders containing 100,925 files. This action was suggested by Windows
    10 after the update was installed. But how to proceed was not explained, and Old Windows defends itself from being deleted.

MichaelEdwardZeidler, Mar 14, 2020
  4. huffman Win User

Delete Old Windows

I have a rather large file taking up valuable space on my primary hard drive. I know that long ago perhaps on Windows 7 when that file appeared I just deleted it. That does NOT seem to work well with Windows 10. I tried going into Safe Mode to delete it, but that just got me into trouble and it did NOT do a very efficient job at that.

What is the best way to delete the "old windows" files? Perhaps there is some software will do it better and more efficient.

Suggestions are appreciated.

huffman, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

1. I deleted Windows.old but it still takes up space - Similar Threads - deleted old still

2. I deleted Ark a while ago but it's still taking up space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I deleted Ark a while ago but it's still taking up space.: I'm not sure what to do, I can't re delete it because I can't find where it is on my pc. It's been a problem for months now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-deleted-ark-a-while-ago-but-its-still-taking-up/56a06149-f0e5-4934-8975-787963037e5c
  3. I deleted Ark a while ago but it's still taking up space.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I deleted Ark a while ago but it's still taking up space.: I'm not sure what to do, I can't re delete it because I can't find where it is on my pc. It's been a problem for months now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-deleted-ark-a-while-ago-but-its-still-taking-up/56a06149-f0e5-4934-8975-787963037e5c
  4. I deleted Ark a while ago but it's still taking up space.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. deleted files still taking up storage space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deleted files still taking up storage space?: all these files have been deleted and should be completely removed from my PC, yet it still shows them taking up space. anything i can do here? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-files-still-taking-up-storage-space/6e2ec4d6-44ba-4e48-ae4c-ab1043cf7b31
  6. deleted files still taking up storage space?

deleted files still taking up storage space?: all these files have been deleted and should be completely removed from my PC, yet it still shows them taking up space. anything i can do here? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-files-still-taking-up-storage-space/6e2ec4d6-44ba-4e48-ae4c-ab1043cf7b31
  7. Deleted torrent file still taking up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted torrent file still taking up space: I was using free download manager today in order to install a torrent file, I realized that the torrent file was way too big and the download size was way too slow, it said would take 11 weeks to install and it was installing like one KB per second. I deleted the torrent file...
  8. Cancelled download still taking up space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cancelled download still taking up space: So I started to download a game on the Xbox app but cancelled it before it could finish, the reserved space is still there, how can I clear this space? submitted by /u/zainur98 [link] [comments]...
  9. Game still taking up 50GB+ of space after deleting

Game still taking up 50GB+ of space after deleting: I started installing Sea of Thieves to my new laptop a few days ago, only to find that a massive 100GB of disk space has been taken for a game which lists only 50GB or slightly over, as required for install. The laptop is for work, however, I fancied testing out the game as...
  10. Deleted files but it's still showing as taking up space.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted files but it's still showing as taking up space.: So i linked my Google Drive with my Windows 10 ASUS Laptop. After realizing how much space it took up i ended up deleting it. I went into control panel and deleted it, emptied it from my recycle bin but it's still showing all the space being used. Under my pc i search DRIVE...