Windows 10: I Did a Silly Thing

Discus and support I Did a Silly Thing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was too eager to try out Windows 10 and before doing my research and backing anything up I have now switched my main computer to 10. *Shock As I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Caleb, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Caleb Win User

I Did a Silly Thing

I was too eager to try out Windows 10 and before doing my research and backing anything up I have now switched my main computer to 10. *Shock As I understand it there is no way of going back -- am I going to be okay? On a scale from 1 - 10 how likely am I to experience something traumatic like a loss of files? I'm no computer expert and am worried I've really screwed myself over.

So far my experience has been good so I'm hopeful Windows 10 will be steady and reliable... any thoughts?

thanks!

-

:)

Caleb, Feb 8, 2015

2. Newest received SMS's aren't shown

Silly thing I know, but is the date / time set correctly? That did it for me!

RichH_9000, Feb 8, 2015
  3. messaging- can't send message try again

This may seem like a silly thing to ask ¿but did you check if you have enough load (Filipino-English for the money on the card, other dialects' words are unknown to me)? As you're sending to a group you might go through money faster than usual. But it's
    silly to ask as it's probably the first thing you checked.

Tula, the Quang, Feb 8, 2015
  4. f14tomcat Win User

I Did a Silly Thing

Caleb, there's a good chance you can put Humpty-Dumpty back together again!

First, fill out your system specs here in the forum. Be specific. OS, hardware (include any external drives, etc.), OEM machine like Dell or HP. Spellout what type of backup procedure you were using prior to Win 10 install; 3rd party like Macrium, Acronis or native (Windows Backup). Files or files and image or image only.

Be as specific as you can be. Also, if you can post a snapshot of Disk Management screen. Has valuable info on it.

There are some good recovery knowledgeable people on this forum, they will help I'm sure.

BUT, info about what you had and what you have now is very helpful.

I would suggest you do not do any cleanups (i.e. Windows Disk Cleanup) or otherwise change the picture too much during analyzing all this.

Good luck! *Wink*Think

f14tomcat, Feb 8, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Feb 8, 2015
  6. adamf Win User
    but, but, but, you could just carry on using it and hope for the best. I upgraded my 8.1 to 10 in October and have taken all the subsequent ones with no real problems. Microsoft have said that their intention is you can upgrade from 10 preview to RTM.

Maybe not the best option but it is an option *Smile

It would be an idea to do a backup now in any case and then you can think about it later.

adamf, Feb 8, 2015
  7. linw Win User
    Yep, why panic. I intend to go through to RTM with my preview-ed system. I always have all my data backed up so a re-install would be no disaster but I am confident my system will 'survive' subsequent updates!

linw, Feb 8, 2015
  8. f14tomcat Win User

I Did a Silly Thing

Edwin, that's a *Thumbs ! That's why I suggested no clean-ups for now. We should have a Happy Caleb! Cheers!!! *Cool

f14tomcat, Feb 8, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    , that's a *Thumbs ! That's why I suggested no clean-ups for now. We should have a Happy Caleb! Cheers!!! *Cool Hopefully! *Wink

Edwin, Feb 8, 2015
  10. Caleb Win User
    Thank-you Tomcat and everyone else for your kind advice! It seems like tenforums is a good place to be *Smile

So given what the majority of you are saying I'm thinking of staying with Windows 10 Preview for now (I am enjoying it after all) and backing up my stuff just in case. Again though my noobiness becomes quickly apparent: what's the easiest/ cheapest/ quickest way to back up my files? Should I just take the files I absolutely need and upload them to something like GoogleDrive / put them on a memory stick? Or are there options to backup my entire system?

thanks again! *Dinesh

-

Caleb, Feb 8, 2015
  11. linw Win User
    You can just copy your data files to 'the cloud', memory stick or an external USB drive but you can also backup your entire system, programs and all. I use Macrium Reflect to do this. There is a free version that is adequate for most uses.

Leo Notenboom describes how to use Macrium here:-http://ask-leo.com/macrium_reflect_1_downloading_and_installing.html

But, whatever you do, make sure you have your documents, photos etc saved, preferably off-site.

12. AddRAM Win User
    You should have installed on a different hard drive.

AddRAM, Feb 9, 2015
  13. f14tomcat Win User

I Did a Silly Thing

Thank-you Tomcat and everyone else for your kind advice! It seems like tenforums is a good place to be *Smile

So given what the majority of you are saying I'm thinking of staying with Windows 10 Preview for now (I am enjoying it after all) and backing up my stuff just in case. Again though my noobiness becomes quickly apparent: what's the easiest/ cheapest/ quickest way to back up my files? Should I just take the files I absolutely need and upload them to something like GoogleDrive / put them on a memory stick? Or are there options to backup my entire system?

thanks again! *Dinesh

- Caleb
    Caleb, glad to hear you're a happy camper again!

You can set Google drive to auto backup photos, etc. but keep in miind Google free storage is only 15GB.

A good external USB drive is a good choice and gives you local control of your data. Newegg.com, Amazon.com, etc. have 1TB drives for about $70-$80. Stay away from 3TB drives, they are fritzy!

Macrium and Acronis et al, are also choices but only paid version of Macrium will allow image restore from boot. The built-in (native) File History and System Image backup work fine. Even if the drive is not connected, file history will remember changes/new file and do copies when drive is attached.

I would suggest separate partitions on an external drive (see tutorial), one for System Image Backup ONLY and one for File History and any other data you want to save. This keeps the block-level backup for the system image and it's shadow copies isolated from all else. You can save many, many system images on an external drive. Typical size first time is 25-35 GB. Windows does not create 25-30 GB each time, it's managed through system shadow copies (different subject). Typical image backup time is 15-20 mins.

Cloud (offsite) or Local (external drive you control) is your choice. BUT, you do need to have a backup regimen you're comfortable with and works.

Have a good one! *Cool

f14tomcat, Feb 9, 2015
  14. adamf Win User
    I would do both or even all 3. Most important are your documents so if you upload them to GoogleDrive or OneDrive (which comes with 30GB free with a Microsoft account) then you have one backup. If you save them to a USB then that is 2 (incase you delete them from the cloud by mistake). USB stick is also far faster. I've been uploading some music to OneDrive this week and can only upload 3GB a day per account.

A system image is also a very good idea as once you upgrade Windows 10 to the next version the link to restoring back to previous version might take you back to the previous Windows 10 version not Windows 8.1. In any case a backup is handy if something goes wrong. You can see here for various options https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...ws-10-a-3.html. If you have your documents though it isn't absolutely required as you can always do a clean install but it is to be recommended.

adamf, Feb 9, 2015
  15. Fobok Win User
    I also upgraded my main computer. I really didn't feel any risk in upgrading. At worst I'd have to do a fresh install of Windows. I have backups of all my most important files, my Documents folder, and my appdata.

I've been using Windows 10 for weeks now and the only problem I've had to face was having to switch from Dragon NaturallySpeaking to Windows Speech Recognition.

Fobok, Feb 11, 2015
Thema:

I Did a Silly Thing

1. I Did a Silly Thing - Similar Threads - Did Silly Thing

2. Probably a silly question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Probably a silly question: So, I actually really like the landscape shots that are used for the login screen, and the bits of information like where the picture was taken. Is there any app, or way have the same thing show on my background after logging in? submitted by /u/KitKurogami93 [link]...
  3. I did a thing Part Deux...Reinstall nonewithstanding!

I did a thing Part Deux...Reinstall nonewithstanding!: Hey Folks, A couple of weeks back, I posted about running Windows 10 after a motherboard & CPU swap. There was an instability (because I didn't reinstall W10) that caused the PC to instantly reboot when trying to play video from Netflix or Amazon. Well I did the right thing...
  4. did i do the right thing?

did i do the right thing?: I bought a new bluetooth keybord (Anne Pro 2) but my windows 10 home didn't support bluetooth because i was using some active windows for free toll and update was like last in 2019 so i bought windows 10 pro but it didn't want to active, so i am currently doing hard reset on...
  5. Silly question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Silly question: I am used to a MAC - so why when I want to start a new folder, does one pop up inside of the one I am already using? - it causes a lot of confusion and I have lost a few files already - I file photos on a monthly basis and things are in such disorder, it's not funny. I feel...
  6. I did a dumb thing, got the green screen

I did a dumb thing, got the green screen: Hey there! So long story short, i ended up accidently ending a task in the task manager on my laptop (Windows10) and basically shut down the whole 'user friendly' thing. Dont remember what it was called, i think the Windows Manager maybe? I can still sign in (i turned my...
  7. Silly Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Silly Question: I do not see how after for example measure a distance, getting back to how you drag the map around on the screen \Thanks for the help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/silly-question/762362be-9da6-4d1c-829c-9ebd51db9887
  8. Silly question I know - but

in Windows 10 Support
    Silly question I know - but: Can anybody get Windows 10 Backup & Restore to work, I mean actually restore an image back to their HDD? 43526
  9. This might be silly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This might be silly: Ok so I'm trying to make some modifications to windows, it requires me to reinstall windows completely about 10 times a day or so. I"M SICK OF IT... I really want to have my install media on an SSD, in a second partition. Is this possible(Please don't say "well don't modify...
  10. These could be a silly questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    These could be a silly questions: Hello Guys and Gals, I have a couple of spare drives already installed in my desktop. I have had a quick look for the answer to my questions. 1, What is the easiest way to install Windows 10, when it becomes available, onto a spare drive? 2, Is USB more favourable over...