Windows 10: I Did Something Bad To My External HDD's & Can't Access Them.

Discus and support I Did Something Bad To My External HDD's & Can't Access Them. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings. I have two external HDD docks. One is a single bay (USB 2.0) and the other is a dual bay (USB 3.0) I have two 3.5 inch HDD's and one 2.5... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by theoldfarter, Sep 19, 2018.

1. I Did Something Bad To My External HDD's & Can't Access Them.

Greetings.
    I have two external HDD docks. One is a single bay (USB 2.0) and the other is a dual bay (USB 3.0) I have two 3.5 inch HDD's and one 2.5 inch HDD, that I use the docks for. I will name the HDD's thus: 1x 3.5 is #0. 1x 3.5 is #2. The 2.5 is #23.
    Using the two bay dock, I placed HDD #0 in it and plugged it into my laptop & turned on the power to it. The HDD was recognized by Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I looked into a couple of folders and then closed explorer. I then inserted #23 (the 2.5 HDD) into the second bay. After windows recognised it, I clicked on it and got an error message. The message said "You need to format the disk in drive G before you can use it. I Backed out. I tried the three HDD's in various bays in both docks. HDD #2 works in all bays in both docks. As HDD #2 is fine, I will not refer to it again.I get the same message with HDD #23. Other messages I have got from those two HDD's are "G:\ is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted" and "G:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect".I have been searching the forum for help but thought I would post my problem before attempting any fixes. I think I know what has caused this.... ME *SadAs I wrote what I had done I suddenly realized that I have 'hot swapped' HDD #23 by placing it into the dock whilst it was powered on.
    Am I correct? If so, I must blame my age of 71 years for that slip. I have, up until this point, only ever had one HDD in the dock at a time.Both HDD's have a lot of files, which I would like to recover by fixing the HDD's or getting the files off onto a new USB 3.0 external HDD I have. To complicate a possible fix on HDD #23, it is encrypted with BitLocker. The other HDD is not.Can anyone be of assistance, please?

:)

theoldfarter, Sep 19, 2018
  2. Torrmic Win User

TOTAL LIST OF SOFTWARE INSTALLATION ON HDD WITH MULTIPLY BAD UNRECOVERABLE SEGMENTS.

Is there a way to export from a hdd with multiply bad segments, that will not boot the list of previously installed software. The new hdd and software has been installed, however having a list of software from the Bad HDD would make the recovery complete
    for the client. especially when the client has not recollection of all previous software. Bad HDD can be used as external drive, not as primary bootable.

Torrmic, Sep 19, 2018
  3. Chasbob Win User
    Access to files on external HDD

I recently bought a new Windows 10 computer. I already have an external HDD with my photos on. To migrate my other data (e.g. Office docs etc) from the C: drive on my old XP computer I copied the relevant folders to the external HDD. I intend to copy this
    data to an internal HDD on my new computer, but before doing so I am deleting files that I no longer require. I am signed in with an administrator account on my new computer, but every time I try to delete or move a file or folder on the external HDD, a dialog
    box pops up asking for administrator permission. Clicking 'Yes' enables me to delete or move the file/folder, but this is clearly laborious. Inspecting the properties of files/folders on the external HDD, I see that every file and folder has a blue/yellow
    shield against Rename and Delete.

Is there a way that that I can simply update the permissions on all files/folders on the external HDD to give full access to my administrator account, so that I can move/delete files without needing to give permission every time.

Note - At the end of the day I want to move the Office docs etc to an internal HDD on my new computer but leave the photos on the external HDD. But I want my administrator account to have full access to both types of file.

Chasbob, Sep 19, 2018
  4. I Did Something Bad To My External HDD's & Can't Access Them.

external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Sep 19, 2018
Thema:

I Did Something Bad To My External HDD's & Can't Access Them.

1. I Did Something Bad To My External HDD's & Can't Access Them. - Similar Threads - Did Something Bad

2. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Access denied on external HDD: I have games and files on an external HDD with 750GB capacity. I was using it yesterday and now I try opening it and I see "access denied" before that there were corrupted files that I fixed using CMD command line chkdsk /f d: , I also did the DISM and sfc /scannow . I watch...
  3. reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.: I have an encrypted external HDD bitlocker. Due to badclusters, the bitlocker window hanged as soon as correct password is entered. Now somehow after repeated attempts I have managed to enter HDD. Now I am trying to repair bad clusters through chkdsk in PowerShell. Now the...
  4. reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.: I have an encrypted external HDD bitlocker. Due to badclusters, the bitlocker window hanged as soon as correct password is entered. Now somehow after repeated attempts I have managed to enter HDD. Now I am trying to repair bad clusters through chkdsk in PowerShell. Now the...
  5. reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows can't access external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows can't access external hdd: Hello So I use a western digital my passport external hdd and windows 10. Previously its been a bit finicky, I assumed its been the cable. Typically it works fine and I store all my media on it. Yesterday I plugged it into my Samsung Q60T TV for the first time, hoping to...
  7. access denied to external hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    access denied to external hdd: I have an HP desktop with a ssd for a boot drive and I have been using an external hdd as my write to drive. An update caused BSOD and I had to do a fresh install of win 10, now I get the access denied 0x80070005 code when I try to change where new content is saved. All...
  8. No access to external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No access to external HDD: Just over a week ago I posted the below problem of inability to access my external HDD. I had one response from someone who asked me to send a mailshot of my Disk Management. This failed on my first attempt but was successful on the second. Despite sending him/her a...
  9. I can't Access my HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't Access my HDD: I'm pretty new to the whole computer and laptop world as this is my first one so keep that in mind. So first off I'm trying to install a new internal SSD and so I found out that I would need to clone the original SSD. So after I did that I was looking at my files and saw...
  10. I Did Something Bad To My External HDD's & Can't Access Them.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I Did Something Bad To My External HDD's & Can't Access Them.: Greetings. I have two external HDD docks. One is a single bay (USB 2.0) and the other is a dual bay (USB 3.0) I have two 3.5 inch HDD's and one 2.5 inch HDD, that I use the docks for. I will name the HDD's thus: 1x 3.5 is #0. 1x 3.5 is #2. The 2.5 is #23. Using the two bay...