Windows 10: I did something really stupid with the Documents shortcut. need help

Discus and support I did something really stupid with the Documents shortcut. need help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Both of my PCs got hacked awhile back, and I'm finally past that with my Desktop, Laptop is next, have formatted my drives, done clean install on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hooked, Aug 21, 2016.

1. hooked Win User

I did something really stupid with the Documents shortcut. need help

Both of my PCs got hacked awhile back, and I'm finally past that with my Desktop, Laptop is next, have formatted my drives, done clean install on Windows 10 Pro... Then I made a big boo-boo. I feel silly even posting to the forum, but I can't figure out how to fix it.

I always have a C drive for Windows and a D drive for my data. So after I install Windows, the first thing I do is modify the shortcuts for Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc. Then I do a restore of my data, create a restore point, and do a backup.

Well, when I changed the Documents properties, for the location I put 'D', instead of D:\Documents. Now the Documents Icon says 'D', and when you right click and look at properties, it looks like a hard drive. It looks exactly like Drive D looks.

I haven't restored any data yet, so Drive D is empty.
    I'm attaching pics so you'll see exactly what I mean. I really hope it can be fixed, otherwise the only thing I know to do is reinstall Windows. And I'm soooo over messing with these computers.

Thanks for ANY help.
    Here's a pic to demonstrate.

:)

hooked, Aug 21, 2016
  2. Cat K Win User

I did something really stupid with the Documents shortcut. and need some help

Hi Pavan,

I did find a solution a few days ago. But your reply was very informative. I didn't know you could

"Use installation media to restore or reset your PC"

That was my problem, I hadn't created a restore point yet.

Thanks again for your help.

Cat K, Aug 21, 2016
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    I did something really stupid with the Documents shortcut. and need some help

Hi,

System restore: This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you
    create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

Refer to the section “Use installation media to restore or reset your PC”
    in the following article to perform a system restore:

Recovery options in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Disclaimer: Though it is said that System Restore does not affect your personal information such as email, documents, photos, videos, etc., but there is highly possible that some of your personal files are deleted while system
    restoring.

During System Restore, there may be errors and such errors may cause damage to the files that are present in the system. And, computer shutdown during restoring process may also lead to file loss. Sometimes when System Restore is failed, it may lead
    to loss of important files as well.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Aug 21, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

"I haven't restored any data yet, so Drive D is empty. "

If you just re-installed Windows and have not moved the backup data from your ext drives to the new D/should be Documents folder, yet, the easiest thing to do is to create a new User acct as another Admin (will have to be diff name than main acct). This one should have the correctly named Documents folder so named from the hidden Default User profile template. Verify this. Delete the account with the empty but incorrectly named folders. Reboot if you want to make the User name same as the orig, if preferred and do the shortcut destination properties correctly this time. *chuckle

mrgeek, Aug 21, 2016
  5. hooked Win User
    Oh my dear friend. You're a lifesaver.
    I've been so peeved at myself for doing it, I couldn't really get into 'solution' mode. Thanks a ton.
    Now you promise me you'll have a great day. You've made mine a lot better. *Wink

hooked, Aug 21, 2016
  6. mrgeek Win User
    No, you made it a lot easier by realizing your mistake before you copied gigs of backup data to some of the folders, in which case, you'd have to move all that data from the, about to be deleted User's folders, to the corresponding New User's folders. Do not forget that there are desktop items that need to be moved or copied over, if you've made changes there and, more than likely, not backed up before.

Please mark this thread solved, if, after testing, the issue is resolved to your satisfaction, so Others with the same issue can find your topic and solution more easily. Cheers

mrgeek, Aug 21, 2016
  7. hooked Win User
    Worked like a charm. And I literally had only done two things before that stupid blunder. Installed ESET and Chrome. So my desktop only had the pic I took to attach to my post and 2 shortcuts.
    I decided to keep the new user name. I've been using the same one on my desktop for eons. Thought maybe it would change my luck if I used a different one. Just to be safe, I left the old, bad user out there and that's just a bit of insurance in case I forgot something.

But your're right. At least I realized it early. Like - the instant I did it and clicked OK! Now I'm just getting Chrome up to speed with my addons then I'm going to restore.

Since both my laptop and desktop got hit by the hackers, I've still got the laptop to get cleaned up. But I've decided I'm going to have some fun with my PC for a week or so before tackling the laptop.

C Ya. And thanks again.

hooked, Aug 22, 2016
  8. mrgeek Win User

"I decided to keep the new user name."

Even easier ! Good to hear your problem was solved so quickly. Good Luck with the laptop. *092

mrgeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I did something really stupid with the Documents shortcut. need help - Similar Threads - did something really

2. I really need help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I really need help: Can anyone help me please I have been struggling with this laptop for over a year I can't turn on my wifi I even bought a USB modem hsdpa to be exact but when I put it in it's says no usim and says authenticating then disconnects can anyone help...
  3. I really need help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I really need help: Can anyone help me please I have been struggling with this laptop for over a year I can't turn on my wifi I even bought a USB modem hsdpa to be exact but when I put it in it's says no usim and says authenticating then disconnects can anyone help...
  4. I really need help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. I really need help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I really need help!: Hi everyone, i recently started my laptop and it said that EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD Is missing or contains errors. I even tried to boot from usb but that thing still pops up and when i try to boot from CD, my computer restarts and...
  6. I really need help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I really need help.: Ok so the thing is, i have 1tb of storage on OneDrive at school and one time i installed the app on my Windows 10 computer and everything was fine when i could access my OneDrive through file explorer, but then it started syncing everything onto OneDrive slowing down my pc by...
  7. I really really really need help with this

I really really really need help with this: Hey i accidentally switched to a microsoft account instead of local on my laptop (windows 10, im pretty sure its the latest version) and just so happened to turn off my computer some time afterwards but i dont remember my microsoft password, it shows the reset password option...
  8. I did something stupid

I did something stupid: I tried to add a password to any admin prompt by copying a text from the Internet. I thought that all I had to do was to change the "add" to "delete" and it would be gone. I tried many other words like rm, remove, usw. reg delete...
  9. I really need help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I really need help: This is kind of long, but here goes. So one day, I forcefully shut down my PC because my ram was acting up and I blue screened. I shut it down, but when it turned back on, it was saying that it was it was preparing automatic repair, and I thought, ok, whatever, its cool...
  10. Am I really THIS stupid !!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Am I really THIS stupid !!!!: Hi there I got an Amazon Fire stick a few days ago because of the recommendations of being able to use PLEX on it at decent bit rates -- but am I the ONLY person on the planet who can't make the wretched thing work. !! The built in apps are fine -- wifi no problem --...