Windows 10: I didn't encrypted any volume, but after a blue screen, it requires me to provide recovery...

Discus and support I didn't encrypted any volume, but after a blue screen, it requires me to provide recovery... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Two days ago, my computer suddenly encounter a blue screen, then I can no longer enter the system. There was very important document on C volume, so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Windows Category - All, Jan 11, 2020.

1. I didn't encrypted any volume, but after a blue screen, it requires me to provide recovery...

Two days ago, my computer suddenly encounter a blue screen, then I can no longer enter the system.

There was very important document on C volume, so I developed a windows installation U disk. But before I could retrieve my documentsmy graduate thesis, it told me to enter the recovery key!! Sincerely, I didn't deliberately encrypted my computer! Anyway, when I login my microsoft account on the website, I found one! it is for OSV drivewhat's OSV? . Then, I entered the recovery key into my broken computer, it indicated that the key was not right. What's happening ?

How can I retrieve my documents back ? How to use cmd to unlock my volume? thanks.

:)

Windows Category - All, Jan 11, 2020

2. Volume Mute Light won´t change color

Before I follow your suggestions, a quick update: as the updating didn´t seem to work I stopped trying and just left it alone for awhile. About a half hour later I looked over and saw that the mute light was now blue. I tried the button but it and the volume buttons did not work at all. On the screen I was told that I needed to reboot, which I did and now the system has returned back to the way it was before: everything works except that the mute light does not change to blue as it should when the speakers are not muted. WTF?

mrsnakeman, Jan 11, 2020
  3. scwagner Win User
    Bitlocker wrote header to volume but didn't actually encrypt drive?

I was attempting to configure Bitlocker on my laptop which has two volumes: a boot SSD (CI didn't encrypted any volume, but after a blue screen,  it requires me to provide recovery... :) and a larger spinning disk (DI didn't encrypted any volume, but after a blue screen,  it requires me to provide recovery... :). When I first tried to encrypt the entire C: (boot) drive, it told me that it couldn't do it at that time and required a reboot. I saved the recovery key information to a secure location, and moved on to encrypting my spinning disk. The encryption of that volume completed in about 16 hours with no errors.

I then rebooted the laptop to allow it to do the encryption of the boot volume. I was greeted with the password prompt to decrypt the Bitlocker volume, and I entered the password I chose when setting up the encryption, but it immediately started booting into the recovery partition. After trying to get the system to boot multiple times, I finally entered the command prompt in the recovery partition, and used manage-bde to try and decrypt the C: drive.

manage-bde reports that it is unable to decrypt the partition using both the password I created (and was accepted by the original Bitlocker boot screen), nor the recovery password (yes, I tried entering them multiple times, even using a copy-and-paste in the terminal window for the recovery password after copying the recovery file to a USB key and mounting it on the computer). manage-bde has no issue with decrypting and mounting my spinning disk that encrypted without error.

Next, I booted up on System Rescue CD from a USB stick, and used dd piped to hexdump -C of the original NTFS partition to investigate what is going on. Sure enough the partition header matches that of a
    Bitlocker volume header. However, the contents at offset 00a0 do not match the "magic header" as described in the previous link (whereas it does on my correctly-encrypted volume). As I delve even further into the volume, I can see plain-text contents of files and even what appear to be file entry headers with filenames! I use the same process to explore the contents of the volume that was successfully encrypted, and I can't find any meaningful information as I page through the blocks of the device.

What can I do to restore the partition header so everything recognizes this partition as an NTFS volume? ntfs-3g doesn't like the partition, and I'd rather get advice before attempting to manually edit the partition header on my own.

Thanks in advance for reading my long issue!

scwagner, Jan 11, 2020
  4. Roan T Win User

I didn't encrypted any volume, but after a blue screen, it requires me to provide recovery...

Blue Screen

Hi,

Blue screens could be caused by problems with your computer’s hardware or with its driver. Still, we
    would like to know more about the issue. Please clarify the following:

• Did you get a STOP code?
    • Did you install any hardware or driver recently?

For basic troubleshooting steps to resolve blue screen errors, we suggest checking out this
    article and simply follow the steps.

Feel free to contact us if you need further help.

Roan T, Jan 11, 2020
Thema:

I didn't encrypted any volume, but after a blue screen, it requires me to provide recovery...

1. I didn't encrypted any volume, but after a blue screen, it requires me to provide recovery... - Similar Threads - didn't encrypted volume

2. Recovery Blue Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Blue Screen: My son new pc has blue screened and requires recovery, but everything I have tried doesn’t seem to work. I have created a usb boot disc from brothers pc, but it doesn’t seem to help....
  3. Recovery Blue Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Blue Screen: My son new pc has blue screened and requires recovery, but everything I have tried doesn’t seem to work. I have created a usb boot disc from brothers pc, but it doesn’t seem to help....
  4. My laptop has gone through blue screen and any of automatic recovery options didn't work....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop has gone through blue screen and any of automatic recovery options didn't work....: My laptop has gone through blue screen and any of automatic recovery options didn't work. Please help me.I did try for example, restore and i could not tick the drive c to be restored. Also, all options have errors and some of them didn't come up....
  5. My laptop has gone through blue screen and any of automatic recovery options didn't work....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop has gone through blue screen and any of automatic recovery options didn't work....: My laptop has gone through blue screen and any of automatic recovery options didn't work. Please help me.I did try for example, restore and i could not tick the drive c to be restored. Also, all options have errors and some of them didn't come up....
  6. Recovery Blue Screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Blue Screen: I have a blue screen Recovery notice indicating repair is required. I have downloaded both to USB & CD the windows 10 tool. However, cannot get passed Boot can get into Pheonix Bios but not sure what to set to. Have downloaded windows 8.1 & this goes straight through but i...
  7. Blue Screen Recovery

Blue Screen Recovery: I recently turned on my monitor and my computer looked like it was performing an update. It got all the way up to 29% theb froze. I couldnt do ahything but hard restart. When restarting i get the blue screen with error code 0xc0000225 recovery. I install windows media tool...
  8. windows encryption provider host

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows encryption provider host: I can't start the Windows Encryption Provider Host. When I try I get error 1064. Windows couldn't start on local computer. Does anyone have any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-encryption-provider-host/4c36d7ec-20fa-4d18-a223-aac78966b332
  9. Blue Screen after update and system will not allow recovery, any answer?

Blue Screen after update and system will not allow recovery, any answer?: After update, system is on blue screen and will not allow recovery, any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-screen-after-update-and-system-will-not-allow/ca5ab277-7da6-4a52-93ef-3e7d3d1213f8
  10. Blue screen, but didn't die?

in Windows 10 Support
    Blue screen, but didn't die?: All of a sudden when closing down, I have been getting a totally blue screen that doesn't respond to the keyboard, but does have an active and controllable cursor on the screen. I wait a while, an as nothing is happening, I power off. However, after going black the screen...