Windows 10: I Didn't Set Up BitLocker Why am I Being Asked for a Recovery Key

Discus and support I Didn't Set Up BitLocker Why am I Being Asked for a Recovery Key in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My laptop died and will not start. I removed the hard drive and got a sata to usb converter cable. I've connected the hard drive to an operating laptop... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PeggyFischer1, May 1, 2020.

1. I Didn't Set Up BitLocker Why am I Being Asked for a Recovery Key

My laptop died and will not start. I removed the hard drive and got a sata to usb converter cable. I've connected the hard drive to an operating laptop to try to retrieve the data. when I try to access the hard drive it prompts for a bit locker recovery key. I never set up bit locker and when I log into my Microsoft account it says there is no bit locker key. How can I bypass the bit locker screen to get to my data?

:)

PeggyFischer1, May 1, 2020
  2. pj04 Win User

Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and enabled settings of secure boot.

On "Enabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

I Didn't Set Up BitLocker Why am I Being Asked for a Recovery Key [​IMG]

On "Disabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot has been disabled. Either Secure Boot must be re-enabled, or Bitlocker must be suspended for Windows to start normally."

I Didn't Set Up BitLocker Why am I Being Asked for a Recovery Key [​IMG]

I don't have a recovery key. I don't remember setting one. I even searched for it in my Microsoft account. My device (ASUS X205TA) is listed but the recovery key is not.

Note that I don't have any useful data in the laptop, so I'd be fine with reinstalling windows even if I loose all the data. I just want to be able to use my laptop again.

pj04, May 1, 2020
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Xylee Del, May 1, 2020
  4. I Didn't Set Up BitLocker Why am I Being Asked for a Recovery Key

bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, May 1, 2020
Thema:

I Didn't Set Up BitLocker Why am I Being Asked for a Recovery Key

1. I Didn't Set Up BitLocker Why am I Being Asked for a Recovery Key - Similar Threads - Didn't Set BitLocker

2. My hdd being locked by bitlocker and I didn't have my recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My hdd being locked by bitlocker and I didn't have my recovery key: My hdd being locked by bitlocker and I didn't have my recovery key anywhere either it being register to another email that install my windows or another email that I can't access it anymore...
  3. My hdd being locked by bitlocker and I didn't have my recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My hdd being locked by bitlocker and I didn't have my recovery key: My hdd being locked by bitlocker and I didn't have my recovery key anywhere either it being register to another email that install my windows or another email that I can't access it anymore...
  4. My hdd being locked by bitlocker and I didn't have my recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. i bought a used laptop, and during setting it up, it asked me for recovery key ID Bitlocker...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i bought a used laptop, and during setting it up, it asked me for recovery key ID Bitlocker...: i bought a used laptop, and during setting it up, it asked me for recovery key ID Bitlocker Key, when i checked my account it said i don't have recovery key ID, how can i get one ?...
  6. Windows 10 Asking for BitLocker Recovery Key But I Did Not Set Up A Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Asking for BitLocker Recovery Key But I Did Not Set Up A Key: Hi. I had to remove the internal battery from my laptop. Now when I boot up the laptop it goes to a blue screen asking for me to enter the Bitlocker Recovery Key. I do not have this key. When I purchased this laptop everything was already set up and working. I read now that...
  7. Urgent! Windows 10 Home asking for BitLocker recovery key, but I didn't set one!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Urgent! Windows 10 Home asking for BitLocker recovery key, but I didn't set one!: So my computer (a Dell Latitude E7470), on boot, keeps asking me for the BitLocker recovery key on my PC, on a Windows 10 Home installation. I can only access the recovery partition, and cannot access the C: drive in any way. I have tried resetting the BIOS Secure Boot...
  8. asking for BitLocker recovery which I never set up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    asking for BitLocker recovery which I never set up: I got a new Dell windows 10 laptop, and today when I started it, it said it was finishing updates. Then once finished, it is asked for the BitLocker recovery key and will not go any further. I never set one up. (My Microsoft account (hotmail login) is also now locked for...
  9. Why am I not being asked for a password?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Why am I not being asked for a password?: uSW10Pro V1803 In the dialog "User Accounts" (via netplwiz.exe), the cbox "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." is checked. The box has a single admin user, me. If I logout (even shutdown) and later attempt access, I am not required to use a...
  10. Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login: So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i didnt setup a bit locker